Talon's 125 gallon Reef (The Rebirth)

Talon33

BRS 5 stage RO/DI unit
image_zpsaee9e284.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Talon33

the T5 fixture holds 12 bulbs, I am running 8 right now and the guy who had it before me was running 8 and growing some sps so I will reduce it down to 6 bulbs as I am mainly going to do soft and lps corals. I still have to pick up an adapter for ro unit and get skimmer in skimmer compartment if it will fit, if not looks like I may be building new sump or moving baffles.
here are some corals im looking into
mushrooms
zoas
some leather coral
Kenya tree
hammer coral
some more recommendations would be great

reefle

Kenyas can overrun a tank so be careful with that one. I think frogspawns and monitporas are good too!

Talon33

Thanks reefle, I will have to think about the kenyas, I just don't know many corals yet and that was one I knew so I will definitely look into frogspawn and montiporas

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I like my frogspawn and I'd suggest a bright green trumpet coral also. They are super easy to make a big one into two. Mine broke so now I have two & they look pretty. :snshne:

Talon33

thank you all and if anyone has any experience with hammer corals I would like to hear what they have to say. I really like this coral. I do not if there are different species but the one I notice at the LFS all the time has lie bright green tips on heads.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Here's my Hammer...not positive but I think it's a "Branching Hammer" ??maybe....
I have moved it since this picture (got it away from my clowns) & it hasn't grown much.
null_zpsc05cfe0f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
They are very pretty corals :snshne:

Talon33

beautiful hammer, I will definitely be getting them eventually, I read that they have sweeper tentacles so they need lots of room between them and other corals to avoid stinging the other corals so I will have to think about that as well.

Talon33

UPDATE: Protein skimmer is up and running, already pulling stuff from the water. One minor set back however, I am hooking my ro/di unit up to my sink and not straight to water supply. Well I am missing the diverter valve so I have to order one from BRS so it will be next week before I can start using my RO/DI unit so looks like one more water change with good ole tap and dechlorinator.
Couple of questions for those who are tuned in.
I will be keeping softies and lps, should I start using reef crystals instead of regular instant ocean?
Also when keeping softies and lps what will elements will I have to dose with thanks!
updated pictures coming as soon as a clean my glass.

Talon33

yeah the mandarin will eat frozen brine Mysis and bloodworms when they have time to get to the bottom without my tangs getting it all. You really have to overfeed for the mandarin to get any which I do not like so he mostly eats pods and gets a treat every now and then. After getting one of these fish however I would not get one again honestly. Mine eats frozen and I have a fairly large tank with macro in fuge and produces a lot of pods and I cannot still get this guy to gain weight, some fish better off in the sea unless you direct most of you effort into keeping this little guy. I have had her for about 5 months now and can't help to worry if she is just wasting away.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
In answer to your additive question with softies and LPS, you may be able to get away without dosing anything. If you do regular water changes, you'll probably be okay unless you have tons of LPS coral.

Talon33

alright if you think I will be alright just doing water changes ill make sure I am using reef crystals

Talon33

UPDATE: Today was a mixed day of emotions. I will start with the good news first. I did a small 12 gallon water change on the tank since I am waiting on my faucet diverter valve from BRS to start using my ro/di unit so I didn't want to put much tap water into the system. My skimmer has been running for 3 days and pulling some serious junk out of the tank. Also went to LFS so pick out some coral I will be getting I believe Tuesday! I know skimming doesn't directly reduce nitrates but I can definitely tell that it works and here is why:
Before when I was skimmerless I would do 20-25 gallon water changes weekly and run a nitrate test after the change and I would always get the same reading around 40 to 50ppm. However this week after a small 12 gallon change my nitrates were only about 20ppm, I was astounded. I have not seen my nitrates this low in awhile and to mention that my tap runs about 10ppm nitrate anyways so my water can't even get below 10ppm until I start using my ro unit. So we are getting very close to reefing here. Now for the bad news.
My beloved Green mandarin has not been seen now since Wednesday and I am not sure what happened to him and I am figuring the most but lets hope not.
Also some updated pictures are coming