Taking skimmer out

I am thinking about taking my stock skimmer out of my 130.

Is there anything else to put there to help the tank besides another skimmer?

: I may be putting an ATO sensor there..... Do you think taking the skimmer out will lessen the water fluctuation from the filter getting caked up?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
imo - you need a skimmer... and the stock skimmer was never a flow problem for me... or related to water fluctuation...

see what other advise... but that's my thinking...

Yeah, maybe mine just is not "broken in" yet. It hasn't collected anything in the one month I have had the tank set up.. I mess with it every day and am getting irritated with it...

Glenn- Do you have the special filter comb on your tank? If so, I purchased one a week a go and the plastic is already loose. It wants to fall all the way to the bottom or let the water push it up so that it doesn't let any water in..... Any advice?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
How high are you keeping your water level in relationship to your hood arm trays? You don't get any foam in the skimmer cup? Do you have the air wide open?

Being the skimmer is used... may need maintenance - read this thread direct link to maint page http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/44439-glenns-rsm-130d-39.html#post727173

run hot water at the sink... down the air lines & valves... take a small drill bit or eyeglass screw driver & ream out there the air-line connects to the skimmer pump... this is a great tip & really really helps ! set neck height like this...
inside.jpg

Glenn-

Cleaned up the skimmer like advised... I'm not sure what you mean by setting the neck height.. I only have a skimmer and a collection cup with lid. Am I missing something?

Also Am I supposed to run it wide open?

Water level right at or barley below bottom of black arm.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
neck height - yours looks like the pic right?

the neck spins up & down... in the cup, has an o-ring on the bottom, the height of it controls skim-mate, in conjunction with the air value

were you able to do this? take a small drill bit or eyeglass screw driver & ream out there the air-line connects to the skimmer pump

until it start over-skimming wet... open up the air value - wide open

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
though... you usually raise the height to keep it from over-flowing too wet... with no neck... you still don't see foam-bubbles breaking over the lip?

lots changed out to 9002 skimmers... I got a backup 130D skimmer new in the box shipped from a member for $30 (less than the cost of the pump), bet if you ask, someone has one... if you want to try that.... but get it cheap... like I did... or a 9002 a better option

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Terry or others 130 owners - am I wrong & don't know what a 130 skimmer looks like? I have only had a 130D skimmer...

does 130 skimmer not have an adjustable neck?

The pics help a bunch - thanks for posting

everyone said a 130D skimmer was better... and lots change out the 130... I may have just learned why...

help out 130 skimmer owners !!! why won't this skimmer skim?

Nope no adjustment... There was a lot of sludge on the inside neck before I cleaned it. I thought since it only collected about 1/8 of an inch I shouldn't have to clean it but maybe that was preventing it from skimming. We shall see.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
you want to clean all the sludge from the non-adjustable... neck... that is skim mate... and will really help... take it to sink & wipe it all out with rag or your finger & rinse well... every week or even every 4 days... will help...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's a 130 skimmer, not a 130D. The only adjustment is the air valve. The poor results with my old 130 skimmer was what started me off on my merry way of replacing all of my old 130 equipment with other brands - $$$. I tried all kinds of things and couldn't get that skimmer to work well. :( The only skimmate I got was the brown crud that built up in the cup neck and upper part of the skimmer body.

It's extra money but I'd recommend getting the InTank media rack and a Tunze 9002 skimmer.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Wow - now I know why the media rack & 9002 was so successful... never knew the original 130 skimmer was like this... (learn something every day here) the 130D skimmer does "okay" when you learn all the tips... feeling a bit sorry for the 130 skimmer owners... I can see why they almost all say an upgrade is a must now...

why won't a 130D work in a 130? is the size that different? wonder what all else is different too... the 130D was really a step up... in the skimmer

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
........why won't a 130D work in a 130? is the size that different? wonder what all else is different too... the 130D was really a step up... in the skimmer

Good question for the Ask Red Sea thread. I remember Red Sea saying they weren't interchangeable when the 130D tank was released, but I'm not sure exactly why.