T5 to LED tubes?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah that's what I said.. WOWIE!!

It's not over here yet but it looks VERY promising. I was just now told about this and thought I'd share (probably old news by now).

AquariumLed.eu!, Powerfull light for you reef aquarium!

It's not cheap but WOW it has some amazing potential that's for sure!! It's not a plug-in replacement for T5's as it will need it's own specific ballast but it seems like it's along the lines to a viable T5 - LED upgrade.

Thoughts?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
As would I. I've contacted them about specs and details on these lights to see what kind of "Real Numbers" they are putting out. I've LOVE to get some to try out and test. Talk about COOL!! :)

BigJay

LED shows so much promise. Unfortunatly some of the legal issues put the brakes on it. I think its fairly safe to say at the rate LED's were gathering steam that we would have seen inexpensive long lasting fixtures.
Unfortunatly all I see being explored and marketed stateside is really cheaply made units stuffing tons of lower power/quality LED's in as much space as possible.

BigJay

btw if you were due for a T5 ballast replacement anyhow.. given those bulbs life span its pretty comparable to the cost of replacing T5's over that time period.

DaveK

I can see LED lighting becoming the lighting of choice for reef systems, but I think this is still quite a few years away.

At the current state of the art, they are just too expensive to justify using. Even with the savings in electrical power consumption, you still don't get payback for many years, and this assumes you don't have to repair or replace anything in the fixture.

That being said, I would like to hear how people make out using LED lighting. After all someone's got to be first. OTOH, I can't really recommend anyone trying it just yet.

nightfire76

i dont think its very far off at all,look at all the auto lights out there to date,as far as how intanse and such they would be al....just look at the japanese and british imports coming in that use led lights and not halogen like the majority of american companies.being a huge car moder i love adding lights and bulding up cars in many ways,used to be that we used tubes to light under bodies of cars...problem was that when ya accidently hit a pot hole or what have you it would bust in some way and you had to replace it,few years back leds hit it was awesome cause now even if one led went out the rest stayed lit :D anyway i love the idea

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just for fun (I'm still VERY interested in LED) check out these two PLASMA videos

Plasma Bulb in fixture
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqYl0ksLlho[/YOUTUBE]

Plasma Bulb up close and personal (SWEET)[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGsM9pplUs[/YOUTUBE]

razorvines

I have been talking to a company in china about some T5 replacements. I plan to test theirs out eventually. I have just been too busy as of late.
It is definitely worth looking into in my opinion.