T5 Lighting Question...

squidy

My LSF has a used 8x54w Nova Extreme T5 fixture for $250. Bulbs are new. My question is regarding the tank I will use it on. I am upgrading to a 110 that is 48"L x 18"D x 31"T. They are telling me I can keep just about anything in my tank with this light but placement will be key. SPS will have to go mid to top half and softies can thrive on the bottom half. I will also be keeping an anemone in there. Can you guys verify this info or at least throw your two cents in. I am going to get it tomorrow, but I want to make sure this light will work.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's really pretty close to that. Does it have Individual Reflectors for each bulb? That makes a HUGE (some estimates say up to 300%) difference on the amount of light going into the tank.

Experimentation will be key here. Some fixtures are just so much better than others but for $250 as long as it works I'd give it a shot at least.

:)

squidy

Thanks Allen. Im on the phone with Dr Foster Smith to see what they suggest, lol. Yea, I think Ill get it and if it doesnt work, I can sell it.

TylerHaworth

The 8x54 Nova Extreme doesn't have individual reflectors, and according to what I've read, puts out less light than the 6x54 Nova Extreme Pro. I guess that could be a beginning basis for comparison.

110's are pretty deep, it's hard to get T5's to blast all the way down...

I'd try some of the more demanding SPS near the top to see if they will be ok, if they are ok then you can go from there as to keeping Clams or Anemones.

Pure opinion involved... I'd try SPS, but not Clam/Nem

squidy

This is so frustrating! Looks like this light on my 110 will put me right on the line of maybe enough light, may not be enough light. I do have a BTA in my 45 under a 150MH. My coral to date include:
Grape Montipora
Kryptonite Trumpets
Sun Polyps
Eagle Eye Zoanthids
Xenia
Purple Pimpled Mushroom
Kenya Tree

I like to get a clam some day.

My other option is also a used fixture 2x 250W HQI, 4x 65W Power Compact for $350.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I didn't even catch the Nova Extreme part of it LOL!

For the $$ you can't go wrong and like you said you can sell it and move up if you find the NEED to :) 8x54w is pretty good. would be MUCH better with IDR but for the $ that's not bad at all. I'd try it though :)

squidy

So if you guys had the choice, you would go with the Nova 8x54w for $250 over the 2x250W HQI, 4x 65W Power Compact for $350?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I would not get a Nova Extreme.

Not only does it have a single parabolic reflector, thr coating on it is not as good as the Nova Extreme Pro, which in turn is not as good as Tek, Aquactinics, or ATI coatings.

You will get good light at the surface, but it won't penetrate so well and my fear is you will have cyano problems near the bottom. I don't know this, but that is my guess.

You would be better off and get more light out of a 6x54w Tek or Nova Extreme Pro fixture. I would try and do something like that if you want T5s. T5s will be cheaper to run by a noticeable amount each month. They would run in the $350-$430 range

squidy

Thanks everyone. My plan is to go look at the light tomorrow and see if it has IDR's or not. I am still totally on the fence here. The rep at Dr Foster Smith was very helpful, but still didnt help me with my decision, lol. He said there maybe a small handful of SPS & LPS corals I couldnt keep under the light. He also said my BTA may not fully bubble out if hes not under adequate light. I think Im in a gray area here and like Al said, it might just require testing.

Pros for the T5: Less heat, less energy, cheaper light
Cons for T5: may have to upgrade
Pros for the MH: more intensity, less chance of wanting to upgrade
Cons for MH: more heat, more $$$ for fixture, more energy

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I would strongly advise not to try and keep a BTA under an Nova Extreme fixture. Not enough light. You can do it with T5s; just not that one IMO.

For the same cost as the MH fixture, look at some of the 6 bulb T5 fixtures with individual reflectors. The reflectors focus the light and penetrate deeper, and reflect way more light than an 8 bulb Extreme fixture. And are cheaper to run.

Also, look at some of the 36" fixtures. If you can suspend the fixture, you can run a tank with a fixture one size down. These fixtures spill a lot of light at the ends, said I looking at the floor next to my tank.

What I strongly urge is to not cut corners with lights; as these go, so goes your whole tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Let me re-cap and say that the fixture does not have IDR. The Nova Extreme Pro does but this is the Nova Extreme only. That's why it's only $250.

I'm a HUGE fan of T5's in fact I'm running my MH/T5 fixture with MH's OFF!

good luck with whatever you decide. :)

squidy

Al, is this on your 90g? I was going to ask you about your lighting on that tank. What all do you keep in your tank with the T5?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes this is on my 90g tank.

It's ....well... I guess you'd call it a "Mixed" reef tank. I've got softies, mushrooms, zoas, LPS and SPS. If I were doing it again today I'd opt for NON MH fixtures. Keep in mind that my tank is only 25" deep but the fixture is 7" off the surface of the water. I'd opt for a Mac-Daddy type of T5 fixture. I know one I've been looking at is
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...t5-yourself-ati-powermodule-sunpower-now.html

also TEK fixtures are SWEET!

I'm sure I just "muddied" the water for ya :) That's REEFING BABY!! LOL!!

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Here is my 90 under a 4 bulb ATI

Tank7.jpg

Here is the sump through the bottom of the tank

Sump6.jpg

The floodlight (for the fuge) barely makes a difference

Reflectors make so much difference. That and cooling. This is half the wattage you are looking at - quality is sometimes worth it.This fixture was just over $400

Reef Ghost

I was just looking at these ATI, they are nice looking with big numbers on the lighting. They have a 60" powermodule w/ 10x80w T5's. Thats a very respectable light especially for T5.

squidy

MAKE IT STOP!!!! I actually dreamed about lighting last night.... Although I did not come up with a conclusion yet. I am going to go take a look at the light today, need to get some odds and ends anyways. Here are pictures of the light the LFS emailed me. Yup, no IDR’s.

Attachments

• light 1 (480 x 360).jpg
    light 1 (480 x 360).jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 19
  • light 2 (480 x 360).jpg
    light 2 (480 x 360).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Dang that's a LOT of bulbs :D

Even though I did at one time say "I'd probably try it" I'm going to have to back up. I bought FOUR different light fixtures for one tank before I was satisfied. Initially it was because I was trying to save a few bucks but finally it came down to I didn't know what I wanted to keep long term and kept upgrading as I changed my mind. I wasted a LOT of $$ on this light and that light. I've gotta say it's MUCH wiser to just wait and save your $$$ for a "quality" fixture that will support what you want to keep long term. The ATI fixture is what I'd SERIOUSLY be looking at right now.

:)

squidy

Lol, thanks Al but Im not sure when I will have an extra $1029 to spend on lighting. So can I get a vote here? All who think I should go with the T5 say "I".