T5 Lighting Question...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've never seen that company before but that doesn't mean a whole lot either LOL! They are from NC so that gives them a GREAT deal of credibility :)

I'm gonna have to stick with my Catalina suggestion because I have and thoroughly like this fixture. IMHO you get a LOT of bang for your buck.

Check out the link and see what you think about it.

squidy

Yea thats a great price on the Cat 6x54. But Im not sure if thats enough light for my 110 which is 31" deep.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah that's one DEEP tank! Maybe you can "exploit" this by using the lower area to keep LOWER light loving coral :)

squidy

Ok guys. I have decided Im going to pass on the T5 fixture and get something with MH's. I am talking with a guy that has a 48" CoraLife 2-175 watt HQI 14k bulbs,2- Actinic 96 watt 32" and 4 Moonlights. He used it for 2.5 years and I think I can get it for $250. At least under $300. This light would put me at almost 5 watts pre gallon. Any thoughts? Should I hold out for a 2x250mh with T5's fixture? I would like to keep a clam some day.

Attachments

• CL Light (400 x 300).jpg
    CL Light (400 x 300).jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 11
  • CL Light 2 (400 x 344).jpg
    CL Light 2 (400 x 344).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 11
  • CL Light 3 (450 x 338).jpg
    CL Light 3 (450 x 338).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 11
  • CL Light 4 (450 x 253).jpg
    CL Light 4 (450 x 253).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 11

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Honestly I'd hold out. Forget about the Watts per Gallon rule because that's out the window once you leave the very basic corals behind.

Heck I'd almost sell ya my Mh/T5 fixture just so I can turn around and buy a T5 only fixture for my 48" tank :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah me too! Mine is only a year and half old and the bulbs are like new (MH and T5's). I'd just like to have a T5 only fixture with 6 or 8 bulbs and be done with MH completely. Not to hijack your thread but I should just be patient and start saving my money for the big tank when I build our new house. :)

squidy

Al, you have had your 90 up for about 2 years right? Isnt it funny how we all want to keep upgrading? I see the threads on the 1000+ gal tanks and tell myself "My obsession would never get that bad, right?" lol. I even bought an 80g to upgrade to but after alot of thinking, I decided to go a bit larger. I want to a couple of tangs and am so tired of seeing fish I like but cant get due to having too small of a tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al, you have had your 90 up for about 2 years right? Isnt it funny how we all want to keep upgrading? ...
LOL! Isn't that the truth!!

It's a sickness I tell ya!!

I'm confident that my next tank will be the biggest I'll own unless I become VERY wealthy or something crazy like that. Heck we're re-designing the house to allow for the tank(s). The 90g will be in our bedroom as a FW tank.

squidy

OMG! That cracks me up. We are doing the same thing in a way. We have to remodel the kitchen and our plans changed a bit due to the 110g. Took a while to talk the hubby into it (he really didnt stand a chance). I will do anything to get this tank setup. I am consumed but the mental picture of how it will look a year from now. Of course he keep s asking me "Well, what are you going to do with the 45g and that 80g in garage you just HAD TO HAVE?"