T5 Light Bulbs suggestions!!

danielcassar

Hi all,

Currently i have a T5 light fixture with 4 T5 54 watts each.
soon i need to replace the bulbs....can someone tell me what is the best combination (as in light colour and wavelength) to have for the new bulbs?

Thanks
Daniel

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have a 6 bulb 39W here what I recently bought from George at Reefgeeks the below... I can highly recommend Reefgeeks, I would call or e-mail George for his recommendations... he recommended these to me & I love the look... hope this helps...

One - ATI Purple Plus 39W 36" T5 Bulb

Three - ATI Blue Plus 39W 36" T5 Bulb

Two - ATI 12000K Aquablue Special 39W 36" T5 Bulb

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have a 6 bulb 39W here what I recently bought from George at Reefgeeks the below... I can highly recommend Reefgeeks, I would call or e-mail George for his recommendations... he recommended these to me & I love the look... hope this helps...

Aha glen u read my mind! Its bulb shopping time!

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

danielcassar

For a four bulb I would go with one Blue Plus, one Purple Plus, and two Aquablue Special

Thanks for the suggestions....do u have a pic of your tank with lights on?....at the moment mine are 2 20,000 K marine blue and 2 10,000K Marine white.....should i discard this combiantion?

thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lots of pics in my tank thread... but remember every brand of camera processes the pictures differently & then there are so many setting the influence this, so imo, it's really hard to tell just looking at pics - but here is my tank with the new bulbs - hope this helps

IMG_1727071311.jpg

danielcassar

Lots of pics in my tank thread... but remember every brand of camera processes the pictures differently & then there are so many setting the influence this, so imo, it's really hard to tell just looking at pics - but here is my tank with the new bulbs - hope this helps

IMG_1727071311.jpg

NICE TANK!!!! wow.....whats that big brain shape coral in the middle!? :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
mine are 2 20,000 K marine blue and 2 10,000K Marine white.....should i discard this combination?

What is your goal for your tank? What LOOK are you striving for?

With lighting, unless you have the option of several bulbs (6+) you'll have to make a decision that leans more towards growth or more towards eye pleasing. You can have some of both but with 4 bulbs you can't have all of both. When I started my 90g system I wanted to get as much GROWTH as I could because I was starting with small frags of many of my coral. As the tank matured I realized a few things:

A) I wasn't in the coral farming business so I didn't have to PUSH growth as much as I thought I did
B) Coral can grow TOO much and it becomes an issue... either frag or time to move coral
C) I built the tank to LOOK at so I realized I was placing too much emphasis on GROWTH and needed more on COLOR!

Once I realized what I really wanted then I started experimenting with different bulb combinations and THAT'S what the tank went to a whole new level of COOL looking.

Just for kicks and grins when I ordered bulbs I would always order one extra in something "different". That's how I got hooked on the Fiji Purple bulb and have to say it's one of my favorite bulbs for making certain coral colors really POP! That's the beauty of T5's in that you can mix n match and with just a bulb (or two) change you can totally change the over-all look and feel of your tank.

Also take note that the bulb manufacturer can play a big difference in the look of the bulb. Brand "A's" Deep Blue probably wont be exactly like Brand "B's" deep blue. Stick with the big names and you're more likely to not only get great colors but more PAR (light energy) into the tank.

NICE TANK!!!! wow.....whats that big brain shape coral in the middle!? :)
Yes Glenn's "Branching Hammer" is one of the nicest ones around. It's a SHOW piece for sure.

danielcassar

What is your goal for your tank? What LOOK are you striving for?

With lighting, unless you have the option of several bulbs (6+) you'll have to make a decision that leans more towards growth or more towards eye pleasing. You can have some of both but with 4 bulbs you can't have all of both. When I started my 90g system I wanted to get as much GROWTH as I could because I was starting with small frags of many of my coral. As the tank matured I realized a few things:

A) I wasn't in the coral farming business so I didn't have to PUSH growth as much as I thought I did
B) Coral can grow TOO much and it becomes an issue... either frag or time to move coral
C) I built the tank to LOOK at so I realized I was placing too much emphasis on GROWTH and needed more on COLOR!

Once I realized what I really wanted then I started experimenting with different bulb combinations and THAT'S what the tank went to a whole new level of COOL looking.

Just for kicks and grins when I ordered bulbs I would always order one extra in something "different". That's how I got hooked on the Fiji Purple bulb and have to say it's one of my favorite bulbs for making certain coral colors really POP! That's the beauty of T5's in that you can mix n match and with just a bulb (or two) change you can totally change the over-all look and feel of your tank.

Also take note that the bulb manufacturer can play a big difference in the look of the bulb. Brand "A's" Deep Blue probably wont be exactly like Brand "B's" deep blue. Stick with the big names and you're more likely to not only get great colors but more PAR (light energy) into the tank.

Yes Glenn's "Branching Hammer" is one of the nicest ones around. It's a SHOW piece for sure.

Thanks Allen...my goal is to have nice colours and that my corals will survive and be healthy!

thats for that information i will keep it in mind

tommyboynj

nanoreefing4fun said:

I just put this bulb combo in my nova extreme and man what a difference. The tank looks soon much better.

I run a 8x 54w t5 system and use the following

3x ATI Blue +
2x ATI Aquablue Special
2x ATI Purple +
1x ATI True Actinic.

Everything looks great, although Coraline doesn't pop as much as I would like it to.

engineer goby

I'm about to order the following for my 6x54 but I'm not sure if it would look good. I have a few LPS and Softies and I'm looking for both growth and look with a blue look without being over bearing.
2 Giesemann Atinic +
2 12k ATI aquablue Special
1 KZ Fiji Purple
1 Giesemann Midday

I was going to place them as follows:
Geisman Atinic
ATI Aquablue Special
KZ Fiji Purple
Geisman Midday
Geisman Atinic
ATI Aquablue Special

I was also going to run these on timers for the dusk dawn effect. Let me know what you all think. Any suggestions for swapping out is appreciated.

dmatt88

Good brand Good color choice. Keep in mind as u get feedback everyone likes a different look. Bigal helped me with my ati choice. U may ask him.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

BLADEYAMAHA

I'm about to order the following for my 6x54 but I'm not sure if it would look good. I have a few LPS and Softies and I'm looking for both growth and look with a blue look without being over bearing.
2 Giesemann Atinic +
2 12k ATI aquablue Special
1 KZ Fiji Purple
1 Giesemann Midday

I was going to place them as follows:
Geisman Atinic
ATI Aquablue Special
KZ Fiji Purple
Geisman Midday
Geisman Atinic
ATI Aquablue Special

I was also going to run these on timers for the dusk dawn effect. Let me know what you all think. Any suggestions for swapping out is appreciated.

Looks great to me!