SWC skimmers

seabass

Hi!I think it is time to upgrade my corallife 120 skimmer.I got a 95gal tank a 40 gal sump and i got a 20gal frag tank plummed into the system.I'm getting a SWC from our sponser.The footprints of these skimmers work for my sump and I heard alot of good stuff about them.Well the question is which one of these skimmers would be better.
Xtreme 180 cone skimmer
375$
lightbio-250
med-200
heavy-150
or
xtreme 200 protien skimmer
289$
lightbio-350
med-230
heavy-175
The extreme 200 is cheaper and has alittle higher bioload rating.

tnwillia

I have the 160 Cone, great skimmers! I think the only difference it the cone design or not, just depends on what you want. Good luck!

Alien2100

I think either would be a great choice. Personally I like the cone design the best. I recently added a Mini S to my heavy stocked 90gal with a 20gal sump. And I love it, I still get a bit more wet skim. I think that's mainly do to how I have it set and the fact that it's on a smaller tank. Either way it pulls out 3 to 4 times more than my old skimmer did. I will say the two skimmers your looking at use the same pump, so it's more of which one you feel is going to work better. And the Mini S which I use was replaced by the 180 cone, meaning it should be one of the better newer designs to work with the sicce pump.

seabass

Ok TY for the advice Tom and Alien2100.Ya I think im getting the 180 cone.I did see a article on reef sanctuary of(i believe it was a guy from swc skimmers) testing the 200.He gave everything about it a good review.

Alien2100

lol, I did a review on my Mini S too when I got it... It's on here, I was honestly just happy to have my new setup :) Since the upgrade I've seen a good portion of my nuisance algae die off. Although the skimmer was not the only change. I added a new sump/fuge, bigger UV, and the skimmer, I'm sure they've all played their part. Oh I will say my skimmer took a good two weeks to break in, just to let you know.

seabass

Yes I saw it was about 1 to 2 weeks to break it in.I don't have any algae issues but I been adding alot of sps frags and I know the more prestine your water is the better the sps will do,but i must admit that my corallife 120 hang-on skimmer did it's job for the last 5 years for a not so good skimmer.And the last year i had it in my sump lol.Just had to fill it up with water when i put it in so it didnt float lol.So yes i'm getting excited like you did to finally be getting the right equipment.I see you said after you added all your new equipment that your algae issues went away.Thats awsome.It is always nice to actually see a purchase helping.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Personally I don't buy into this whole cone theory. It is suppose to lengthen the contact time and make the foam rise more gradual then a straight tube but most skimmers have this feature in the neck anyhow.

Goober35

IF you are limited on space i would go with the cone skimmer but if you have room to spare get the extreme 200 and save the money. Both are great skimmers i have the 200 and love it.

seabass

Ok.I ordered the 200.I figured if all the difference was the cone then ill get the xtreme 200 and save my $80 in difference of price,but after I ordered my skimmer i had $80 dollars left over and of course I already planned on spending that much,so I went to my lfs and bought this clam I had my eyes on forever.So I consider it a win win for me.I got my new skimmer coming and I got a clam with it lol.

Goober35

That what i would have done. I wish the cone 160 was out when i got my tank up and running do to the fact i need room in my sump.

DBrinson

Personally I don't buy into this whole cone theory. It is suppose to lengthen the contact time and make the foam rise more gradual then a straight tube but most skimmers have this feature in the neck anyhow.

^

I've thrown out several different "cone" skimmers, none of which ever performed anywhere near as well as any of my "straight-sided" Euro-Reefs.

seabass

Just a quick picture of the clam I got with the money I saved by getting the xtreme 200.I was told it is a crocea.It's about 5 inches.Can someone confirm for me if it is a crocea or if it looks like something else.Maybe not it is a bad picture.
Picture045.jpg

Alien2100

Gorgeous clam Sea Bass, and you couldn't go wrong with any of your choices for a skimmer. I'm sure you'll love the extreme 200.
And my upgrade was to allow me to add SPS too, I still have one more upgrade to a 250watt MH before I add them though. The algae I had was basically a brown macroalgae that cover some of my rocks. It's all gone now. All I have now is this weird dark red algae that's grows in the light and covers my rocks (and no it's no red slime, lol) this stuff will not come off. I'm not quite sure what it is, my lfs's seem to have it in their thanks too. I also have my fair share of coraline.
And I'm far from an expert but I believe the cone is to help transition and head pressure on the pump, not sure. But yes normal style skimmers make there transition close to the neck, cones just do it throughout the whole body. Not sure if ones all that better than the other though.