SunCoral Reproduction in Tank!!

Rotorgeek

Hey Guys and Gals

I have had my Sun Coral in my tank for about 5 months and this yesterday i noticed a bunch of of orange spots on serveral rocks. Some even have tiny tentacles. I think my tank will be covered in Suncorals soon. I am attaching some bad pics. Please let me know what you think. I hope it is what i think it is.

I also have 2 Dendro heads that were all but dead. the tissue receded and their was just a spec of tissue on both of them. I was about to remove it from the tank but i just left it in there. Now it has returned stronger then ever. I now have 8 little heads. Is that normal?

I will put better pics in my gallery.

Thanks

Miguel

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 124

seafansar

I haven't heard about sun corals reproducing in a tank, but that doesn't mean it can't happen! I have hidden cup corals, Phyllangia Americana, in my tank that reproduce and a little too quickly if you ask me. They are related to sun corals. They started on one piece of live rock in my tank and now are on about 5-6 pieces. That's way cool if your sun corals to sending out babies! I wish mine would.

Rotorgeek

I do feed both my orange and black sun corals like crazy. They are pigs. i saw this happen somewhere online. I will look for it.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Very cool Rotorgeek! Please keep updating with pictures over the next few months so you can document there growth rate. Very exciting!

On that video... I would so be in there with a turkey baster catching the babies!! Would make me too nervous wondering when/if they landed some place good.

Send us more pics rotorgeek! Maybe some Macro shots if you have or can get/rent one?

goldenmean

Not long after seeing this post I noticed that My black sun coral had released some babies. There are two (or so i thought) on the overhang directly above the main colony and I have seen two others in different locations much further away from the colony. I finally got a decent photo of the two above the main colony and when I looked at the photo there are actually four new polyps.

Attachments

• BlackSun1.500.03.09.jpg
    BlackSun1.500.03.09.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 57

cindyp

WOW that is cool! I hope mine does that. you said you feed it like crazy I have only been feeding twice a week how often do you feed and what are you using??? Thanks

goldenmean

I feed the sun coral a variety of foods 2 (sometimes 3) times per week a variety of foods. Rods food, mysis shrimp, arctipods, my homemade slurry.
I feed the fish first. That will cause my sun coral to open up even though the lights are still on. Then I feed the sun coral. Sometimes I have to move some hermit crabs off of the sun coral but otherwise I have had no problem with food theft.

Rotorgeek

Well so far most of the babies are still alive and kicking. I am starting to wonder if they are Suncorals. The tentacle colors resemble my dendro's and they are always open during the day. I feed my corals cyclopzeze and mysis everyother day after the main light turns off. I target feed. Its a pain but i love it.

cindyp

Well so far most of the babies are still alive and kicking. I am starting to wonder if they are Suncorals. The tentacle colors resemble my dendro's and they are always open during the day. I feed my corals cyclopzeze and mysis everyother day after the main light turns off. I target feed. Its a pain but i love it.
I was just talking about the feeding of sun corals and when I first brought mine home from the lfs it was not being feed properly so I did so reading and found an article about being able to train them when to eat so I started coxing mine open at 10 am when I feed the fish then when he was open I would feed him a mix w/mysis shrimp now every morning around 10am he's open and ready to eat.. he is really lookin good now but I have not seen anything that looks like babies..