Sump in garage

bwhit1406

Trying to plan my 75 build and thought about having the sump in the garage and plumbing it through the wall. My problem is I am scared of the temperature of the garage. Live in Florida and Garage can get up to 100 in the summer. How much will the garage temp affect the overall tank temp?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
It will affect quite a bit, you may want to consider a chiller or isulating the grage and running an ac duct in there.

I know sound crazy just for an aquarium but I have seen people do worse :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm pretty sure Lynn (lcstorc) did something like this. I believe they insulated the garage and added a duct. Some people bypassed the DUCT idea and simply added a window AC unit in the garage.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I live in Charleston SC and had to insulate my garage and use a window AC unit. Was expensive to run a tank like that. If I had to do it again I would build a box around the unit and make a small room for it out in the garage and insulate and cool that instead of the whole garage.
A chiller is a must have also set up this way.

cbrownfish

The garage set up is fairly common in the Charlotte reef club. As Frankie indicated, don't try it without a chiller or a well vented, insulated, climate controlled room.

r2d2

I think install an AC to cool garage is quite expensive compared to run a chiller. Althoug insulate it (garage) will help a lot.

Greetings