Sump Design - What would you change about yours?

Stacef

Hey guys. We are building our 125g sump for our 290g DT.

Here are our sump plans, good? bad? ugly? Lay it on us! We want to do this as 'right' as we possibly can.

If you could go back with your sump, what would you change today that you didn't know then?

Attachments

• Tree.JPG
    Tree.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 24
  • Sump.JPG
    Sump.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 52

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
AIO (all-in-one) tank here... hopefully some members with sump building experience can advise :clownfish:

index.php

Mandy11

Personally I like my skimmed water to all flow through the fuge. Not just a feed. If I am reading it right,
I am having a little trouble actually understanding the plan you have drawn to be honest.
But it looks like your only feeding a % of water through you fuge ? Which ultimately means only the 10 or 20% of water that's sent there will actually be filtered.

I have a simple yet very effective designed sump.
Down pipes all drop into the skimmer chamber, once skimmed the water passes through to a chamber with live rock & mushrooms (great for nitrate removal).
Then through my fuge, with matrix and chateau (phos and nitrate removal)
Then through last chamber once again with live rock and cuc (detritus removal)
Than all water is returned to the tank.
So I run at Lagauna 7600return pump and all of that water every hours is passed through the whole sump and goes through each section to be naturally filtered.
I also have my TLF reactors feed and return from my skimmer section and my uv also feed from skimmer section but returns to the return section of the sump.
Here is the original drawings that we designed when building.
photo.JPG

Here is the finished product. We successfully run 0.00 nitrates and 0.02 phos since start up and we are very tang heavy.
As you can see the water passes through every chamber giving it a far better chance of nutrient and detritus removal.

1 week today 005.JPG

If you have any other questions or don't understand something please just ask.
I love the size of your fuge by the way it will work extremely well for you if fed correctly. but I would 100% move your return to the other end of the sump.

salty box

I have a 70.70.65 cm cube tank what's size of sump is enough for me?

Sent from my HUAWEI G730-U10 using Tapatalk

Tru2nr

Salty, as big as you can fit down there! The solution for pollution is dilution...meaning the larger your water volume the better. I've seen people who only want a 30g display but want the stability of a larger tank so they run a sump into a separate room and have a 100g Rubbermaid as their sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk