Sully's RSM Reefer 350

mtsully71

I love the pics. How does your flame angel do? I always wanted one.

Also some good looking frags!

Flame is great had em like 2-3 years know I think. good citizen..........I am trying to decide when I move my other fish over, if he and a half black can share space. Will decide by next weekend :ponder2:

OHHH you just wait, Sully has some big boy frags on the horizon. ;)

mtsully71

had to share this, funny as hell!

cheater1qh3.jpg

:lol:

mtsully71

All fish are moved, decided the Sailfin tang and the half-black angel get moved to solitaire in the basement. Put all the rest of my hermits in the basement tank also. Left a piece of seaweed out for the snails and conch, not much, but little buggers clean it up! Love me the crabs, but don't like empty shells. Only 6 in the reefer for now.

I also just realized I have a Halloween hermit crab in the tank I just tore apart getting the fish out.......Don't know how I missed him, as he's a decent size. Gonna have to go back and find him. :scuba:

Everyone appears to like the new home, not much posturing going on and tank is fish full.

Tested tank, CA aroung 370-380 again, so I think Ill add CA for a bit. Honestly, I think the lower CA is due to the dry reef rock absorbtion (reef base chemistry balancing) and slow forming calcerous algae. The corals in the tank definitely are not using that much. KH was low at high 7, but my Mg checked in at a nice 1340. Slow and steady, Bi-weekly WC's should bring the world in alignment.

Loving the Dual reactor :heart: phosphates checked in at .03

Protein skimmer works like a charm, doing a mix of wet skimming and dry.......Not by choice, it's just how it is running at the moment. I have it set to half way up the neck.

Need to move the temp and PH probe location. I have to raise and lower it every time I shut off the return pump to feed the kids. Not really a biggie but a PITA.

Started using Red Sea Reef Energy also. I'll do that once a week and midweek I feed Cyclop-eeze or Reef chili. No more than that, as I don't want any associated issues. I tend to go light anyways.

Everything appears healthy and cut some frags to give to a local fella up north.

:camera:coming soon...........thanks for looking

Sully

mtsully71

Quick update things going good, @RedSeaKev helped me out with my math and got me lined out. Thank you Kevin

Tested today at midday PH 8.1, salinity 1.025,430 Ca, mg 1470 and DKH 7.8 and temp at 77. This is acceptable. Added some Ca and buffer to bump up water earlier this week. Just need time under my belt.

I am not as skilled as some of you other reef gods, so I don't chase numbers.

Lights are off right now.......and patiently waiting for my acclimation to finish :bounce:

Diemaker

+1. It's awesome.
So here I am finally......The good is I am up and running the APEX with the lights and vortech connected.

The bad is, I spent uber hours trying to figure out how to configure the dashboard and how to make everything turn on. I could see the stuff just could not get things to work. Alot of trial and mostly error and a ton of frustration. I read a ton of material and even sought help in the apex forum. Whats disappointing is most people assume its all technology related and not something truly simple.

Well here is the laymens term for those that have a new apex and ecotech equipment. NOTE: I could not find this simple advice anywhere on the net, know matter how hard I tried.

Your outlets (EB8) are numbered, once your apex finds the ecotech stuff you are going to see numbers 1-8 for outlets and you will also see the names of your vortech equipment. ALL you have to do on the main dashboard page is make sure your outlets (1,2,3 and 5) in my case, are all set to on. Then your ID'd vortech equipment on the dshaboard you also turn to on, your stuff comes on then you can slide your bar to auto.

Once you have done this you can go into the APEX wizard and play with your stuff.

I cannot tell you how &#^%$ off I was trying to figure this concept out and stumbled upon the solution by luck, I had things really messed up. I knew what needed to be done just didn"t know how to do it.

SO! I am GTG, I can set up my light and vortech schedule, looks easy as pie after the crap I just went through.

The rocks are getting some brown and I see some fuzzy stuff :cool:.

Have a good weekend and thanks for looking

Sully
your not plugging the vortech equipment in to the apex power are you?

mtsully71

your not plugging the vortech equipment in to the apex power are you?

I did, but it is not necessary, yes it is all wireless. I have not had time to sit down and start messing with the apex as far as setting a custom light schedule or set up a cloud/lightning. Just need time to sit and really go through the APEX.

mtsully71

Promised pictures I know, have some family matters to deal with. I want to post some pics and will do when I get some more time.

Have a good week

mtsully71

Joe,

I bought about 80-90lbs off dry rock from Bulk Reefsupply, about 20-30 lbs of shelf rock and 10lbs of rubble. Bought my cement from Marcorocks. You really can't even see the joints anymore. The shelf rock all came like that. I told them sizes I wanted.

Used a piece of cardboard and drew the in tank dimensions so I knew it would fit. Over the span of a week or so, I just put things together. Had a picture in my head of what I was looking for. Like doing a puzzle. I am not very artistic, but I was very pleased with the outcome. I wanted the appearance of depth front to back, hence the extra column on the right rear. I have very good flow in and around the entire tank, lots of caves, nooks, overhangs and arches. The rubble was fun to work with as that's what gave my rock the unique looks.

The shelf rock on the back wall of the tank was cut with a tile saw to make flat and I used silicon to attach

I had probably 20-30 lbs left over, but the excess was worth it as I gave me more selection to work with.

Of note also, the main base piece for each section is very solid and mostly flat, I used a sawzall with a diamond blade to even things out. So, no matter what the burrowers do in my tank, the rock can never tip or collapse. I think there are some photos on the first or second page.

Appreciate you asking

and thanks for looking :thumber2:

mtsully71

Hope everything is okay mate. I suppose we can let you off this once but after that.. :hammerhead:

Things are OK, Wifes dad is 88 and it sucks to get old.

I still have not see any coral show up at my doorstep either Dom.

I am going to do my damdest to post some pics in the next two days. Maybe @Blue Space will quit bustin my tenders :D

I have some really nice new SPS to show everyone and ohhh you should see my new chalice :smokin:

Also picked up a gold/peach/orange colored Euphyllia Yeayamansis, very cool

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Things are OK, Wifes dad is 88 and it sucks to get old.

I still have not see any coral show up at my doorstep either Dom.

I am going to do my damdest to post some pics in the next two days. Maybe @Blue Space will quit bustin my tenders :D

I have some really nice new SPS to show everyone and ohhh you should see my new chalice :smokin:

Also picked up a gold/peach/orange colored Euphyllia Yeayamansis, very cool
Yeah, I can relate mate. Not nice!

haha I was told they'd be there tomorrow so you should definitely wait around all day :p haha

I cannot wait to see all these lovely new corals mate, you better take some bloody fantastic photos!! haha

mtsully71

Fed EX showed Dom, said he didn't have my package...........that's odd

I am leaving work, going home, take some bloody grouse pictures. While I am at it I think I will hit the dunny, get my stubbie holder and start a slab! Hows that sound cobber?

Last edited: