Sully's RSM Reefer 350

DaveR11

Mornin reefers......The chicken is in the pot finally. Fired up the system last night, everything mechanical on the left fits nice and the right with all the electrical is almost fully complete. Need to spend about 30 minutes doing the wifi thing with the APEX and a little bit of wire organizing. I got lots of time to mount and mess with lights, as I cycle without them.

A few observations. There still is not much "how to literature" for the 350, but when I fired the return pump the water immediately began going down the overflow and let me tell you it looks like boiling water in the sump, so I was thinking ahhh *$^% this isn't good. Call me dumb, but there is a control valve on the intake and it was closed (not in instructions). Google is your friend.... Found a brief post in another forum where REDSEAKEV talks about this adjustment and not exceeding the tank return amount. Wasn't concerned with the return GPH, but he is spot on that you do the adjustment very slowly and give it time to adjust. I had to tweek it again this morning (closed more). When I mention tweek, I mean an 1/8 -1/4 inch turn. Basically you are a adjusting the overflow valve to match the amount of water being returned to the tank by the return. I KNOW! novel concept. :ponder2:

The Octopus was going bat guano crazy after about 1 hour and producing skim. All I will be running for the next month or so will be skimmer, heater, return pump and MP 40. Won't even bother testing for 3 weeks.

So Sully is back in the game, I'll take some tank and equipment shots in the next few days and post them for your drooling pleasure ;)

thanks for looking

Great news you are up and running. The control valve sounds just like on the S series - I'm a newbie and it took me a while to stop over compensating if it was draining too quickly or going into the overflow as well but it works like a dream when it is dialled in and on mine is completely silent when working correctly.

spiraling

that is looking Really nice. I like the platform rocks. I've been eyeing the reefer tanks and will see how yours goes.
Since you are probably the closest other person on this forum to my location, I have to ask, do you have any good LFS in Helena?

mtsully71

that is looking Really nice. I like the platform rocks. I've been eyeing the reefer tanks and will see how yours goes.
Since you are probably the closest other person on this forum to my location, I have to ask, do you have any good LFS in Helena?

No, there is nothing here, nor Great Falls really, I am not to impressed with the store in Belgrade either. Was there late one night and got to see acclimation procedures for new shipment :concern: and a lot of the LR I saw was loaded with aptasia. They charge a lot also because of their closed geographical location.

I have heard good things about the one in Missoula, but I have never been there. I need to pop in one of these days. The Heights pet center in Billings, is decent, little high, and he hangs on to his stuff for a while before he sells it.

I am pretty much a ship it in guy :D I honestly get more out of being self taught, reading and asking questions here, then anything. Some of the things I have been told or heard over the years at our LFS here in MT is disappointing. I have honestly pulled a few people aside to share some NTK. Before they made a mistake.

Last edited:

mtsully71

Well the APEX vortech and Radion expansion module showed up, probably get it hooked up by end of weekend. Still have to hook up the PH and temp probes too.......Ya I have been lazy.

On a better note ordered from Blue Zoo, Could not say no to more Barnacle Blennies

serranus_tortugarum_th.jpg

4 Chalk Bass, Serranus tortugarum, read a lot of people really enjoy the personality.

Acanthemblemaria_s.jpg

2 Barnacle Blenny, Acanthemblemaria , I have two of them already. More is better

Salarias_Fasciatus_Medium_th.jpg

Lawnmower Blenny-Medium, Salarias fasciatus, he was free

Blue_Tang_th.jpg

Blue Tang - Tank Raised, Paracanthurus hepatus, Medium: over 1.5-3.5", Tank Raised. Never had one

I will maintain the lot in my two other tanks, until the new tank is done cooking

mtsully71

So......messing with the APEX WXM last night. Votech Pump, followed the destructions and no problem see it on the dashboard :cool:....Radion lights, no, nope, try again, maybe next time, play again? :txchainsaw: . Instructions are very simple and I am flustered so off to bed. Get up this morning and back to google :coffee2:. Well lookee here, if you have them previously slaved to something ( AKA Ecosmart Live ESL) it appears you cannot connect them :banghead:. So know, it appears I need to go home, go to the connection manager and reset the lights to factory settings, each light, individually via USB. Then I can get the Apex to find my lights, guess I will see. :fingerscrossed:

FYI! APEX/WXM new users, DO NOT hook up your new vortech or radions until you have your apex updated and ready to go. I am learning the hard way and it's a Pita :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Footstick

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

mtsully71

Hey mate. I love your rock work!!! It's amazing. What base rock did you use?
And did you stick rocks to the back of the tank? If so, how did you do that? It's very interesting but awesome job!

FrootStick, I used the Bulk Reef Supply reef saver rock. I also ordered some falt plates from them. I ordered about 20 lbs more than I would use to give me more options. If you are in Australia I would look for aragonite based quarried reef rock. You might hit up Wrangy, as he is in your neck of the woods.

I cut the backwall pieces with a tile saw and used 100% silicon to adhere it.....They are stuck tight

Thanks for looking, and welcome to the family

FrootStick

Sweet mate. I love your setup hey. I'm getting the same tank in a few weeks time. Hope to get it running within the month.

FrootStick

So you are going with no live rock to cycle?
If so how are you going about doing this mate, as that what I want to do!