Sully's RSM Reefer 350

FrootStick

Hey mate. Enjoying your build. Just curious, with my 350 I'm always having to adjust flow with the dial (everyday or 2) so it's not to low or high in the overflow. I don't know why I get the problem as the return pumps always running the same.
Is there any tricks, or are you having to do the same?

mtsully71

Have not had that extreme an issue, I would double check your float is operating correctly, that your ATO line is unobstructed and ATO tank filled. Make sure the filter socks are clean. Another thing you might check is your return pump, what do you think your return is?

In a nutshell, I have tweeked mine maybe 4-5 times, adjusting maybe an 1- 1 1/2 inch of water in the overflow box. That valve is very finickey..... Barely turn the dial, and walk away for a day or 2, come back and adjust the valve as needed barely turn it. It seems its easier to raise the level than lower it too. I have mine water level about 1/2 inch below the overflow. Turn right to raise the level, left lower. I bet I have not moved the dial more than 1/2 inch (maybe less) since I filled the tank and initially set it.

As odd as it may seem when I fired up my dual ractor, I had to tweek the flow again. It really may have something to do with the amount of water (as minor as it seems) in the sump and the equipment your running.

Ya might double check the cup attached to the pipe is seated nice and tight too. Make sure those pipes are twisted tight and seated into the tank also. My gut tells me you have some sort of obstruction, since it won't level out.

If you keep having issues after a week, ya might hit @RedSeaKev up and see if he has an idea, but my guess is he may tell you the same thing.

Sorry I can't offer better help.

FrootStick

It's only very minor adjustments as you say everyday or 2. Auto top up is definitely working and it's always got water in it. I've had it running a week or so now.
Return pump is an Eheim compact 3000 running at its max.
So you have to adjust your every couple of days also mate? Sounds normal then?

mtsully71

Frootstick,

I would say not normal, I am no longer adjusting mine, only when I added pumps in my sump and when I first set it up for about a week.

I looked up your Eheim compact 3000 pump, it appears your pump with no head loss is at 792gph. You are right at the recommended flow rate for a 350 without taking in head loss. I would check this, you might not be returning enough water to the tank and that's why you have to keep adjusting it. I am using this Sicce syncra 4.0 951 GPH check this sheet out. http://sicceus.com/syncra_specs.html

I have 4 feet of hose, so if you do the math I am right at 792 +/- 5 GPH. This very well could be your problem. Right of the top, you and I have a difference of about 160 GPH. I would definitely look into this. If not PM @RedSeaKev and get his thoughts. I have read where Kevin was adamant about accurate return rates for the 350 system to work properly.

Sully

mtsully71

So, corals are loving the new tank and LED's, going to bump up 5% this week. Nice polyp extension and none of my CUC has bought the farm yet.

Did some water testing last night, as I want to move some fish over, just need to find the time.

Salinity 1.025 and temp 78
PH AVG 8.17 APEX ROCKS!
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
Calcium 390
DKH 8.2
And for the first time ever in Sully reefing, Phosphates 0.0 with Hanna checker, did it twice and used and API once :cool:

Magnesium 1560......Now this was unexpected, any thoughts from others as to why this would be high?

Will do a 20 gallon WC this weekend.

Liking the Red Sea test kits.....very easy and accurate.

My impression of the filter socks is average at best. They only work well for a few days, then need a washing. They are likely to thick for the purpose they serve.

Other than that, I am rolling :roflmao:

thanks for looking

Sully

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Awesome THREAD Sully!! Just found it and got caught up :thumbup:
Now I know who I want to build my next rockscape :D
TOTALLY L:heart:VE YOUR ROCK WORK!! :yeehoo:
(You rocked it buddy!! :pbjtime:)
About the HIGH Mg reading: What salt mix are you using?
I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and can tell you mine runs high also. It has worked well for me cause I hate testing MG....I just do my WC's and don't worry about the mg.

Other's might can tell you more, I don't chase numbers these days :winky:

Only thing this thread needs now is

:camera:More PICTURES!! :fishbowl:

mtsully71

Ohh I know your lurking here, I am trying the red Sea Coral pro at the moment, I have some reef crystals also. The salt is fine, just cannot explain the higher magnesium. And no.... like you I don't chase numbers, more an FYI for others. WC's fix a lot :). Ya know me, I have an Aversion to adding anything but salt, water and critters to my tank.

I am just wondering if using the dry reef rock has something to do with it. I am not overly concerned just find it odd. I should be right around 1390
CP-Salt.png

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt elements graph

The only thing I can think of, is maybe the use of the dry reef rock is drawing in the calcium to build algae, therefore not allowing magnesium to react properly with the calcium has resulted in a higher level.........pfttt I don't know. But, if the Mg and Ca were not bonding, that should drive up my KH, I believe....I should have paid attention in chemistry class more :chunky:.

So I am just researching literature and if none of these other PHD reefers answer up, I will make up my own conclusion :fingerscrossed:

All honesty though, not worried at all. Just sometimes like to know why :ofr:

Thank ya for catching up darlin

Sully

Last edited:

mtsully71

The glass is cleaned, the LED's are at 30% and everything is working as it should. Half my fish have been moved. I was stressing a little over not finding the yellow rose goby and his candy shrimp buddy and I still had not seen the 1/2 inch clown goby since I put him in the tank. I think I know where the pair might be as I had dug a starter hole where I wanted them. Finally, I see them both peek out, so I decide to drop some food into the tank and with much fanfare I see a little clown goby dart and to claim his share. All 100% accounted for.....

I sat in the rocker in front of my tank relaxing and taking it all in. The corals have great extension and are puffed up. I am watching the shimmer of light off the sand and rock, watching the flow of water in the tank. Saw the Blue tux mow a quarter size hair algae, watched the blackbar and bi-color chromis chase each other from their favorite spots, both my little Barnacle blennies shoot from hole to hole giving everyone the stink eye, watched the schooling interaction of the chalk bass and firefish. My personal favorites, the goby watch over his candy shrimp while he tidied up the house and made it bigger.

The 130 with T-5's was a nice starter intro into reefing and corals. With that being said, I am thrilled with how the reefer project turned out, the rockwork, sump and electronics area, everything is right, everything fits. Most of what I have learned has been self taught, trial and error or researched.

The house was quiet for a while and I lost a full hour in that chair alone last night. It dawned on me as the lights began to dim, this is exactly what I had envisioned and had hoped to achieve. I sat there feeling good and realized what all my time, patience, persistence and investment had bought.........a real reef in Montana and true bliss.

Happy reefing
Sully

spiraling

The glass is cleaned, the LED's are at 30% and everything is working as it should. Half my fish have been moved. I was stressing a little over not finding the yellow rose goby and his candy shrimp buddy and I still had not seen the 1/2 inch clown goby since I put him in the tank. I think I know where the pair might be as I had dug a starter hole where I wanted them. Finally, I see them both peek out, so I decide to drop some food into the tank and with much fanfare I see a little clown goby dart and to claim his share. All 100% accounted for.....

I sat in the rocker in front of my tank relaxing and taking it all in. The corals have great extension and are puffed up. I am watching the shimmer of light off the sand and rock, watching the flow of water in the tank. Saw the Blue tux mow a quarter size hair algae, watched the blackbar and bi-color chromis chase each other from their favorite spots, both my little Barnacle blennies shoot from hole to hole giving everyone the stink eye, watched the schooling interaction of the chalk bass and firefish. My personal favorites, the goby watch over his candy shrimp while he tidied up the house and made it bigger.

The 130 with T-5's was a nice starter intro into reefing and corals. With that being said, I am thrilled with how the reefer project turned out, the rockwork, sump and electronics area, everything is right, everything fits. Most of what I have learned has been self taught, trial and error or researched.

The house was quiet for a while and I lost a full hour in that chair alone last night. It dawned on me as the lights began to dim, this is exactly what I had envisioned and had hoped to achieve. I sat there feeling good and realized what all my time, patience, persistence and investment had bought.........a real reef in Montana and true bliss.

Happy reefing
Sully

That sounds like bliss Sully!