struggling to get rsm 250 water levels right

Hey guys just a quick one. I have followed the manuals advice on trying to get water level correct (pull gate up fully and monitor level after couple of mins. ( in my water level it dropped straight to the bottom and the pump was blowing bubbles (main tank aquarium is at just above black rim level... cant seem to get the level right without using the shutter to control it (rsm advises against this) they suggest just keep slowly adding water... doing this takes me over the glass rim and water not even on one notch... just below eye view. fine filter floss isnt in.... ideas anyone?

Thanks

John

tnwillia

Glenn will jump in here to help you. When I was running the tank stock without an ATO it was a daily job changing the gate (raise gate to lower back chamber water, lower gate to raise back chamber water) to keep the water level where it was suppose to be. Good luck!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If I'm thinking about this correctly ( I don't have a 250 but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) it's like any other rear chamber design. If you raise one you lower the other. It's like a string on a pulley.. pull one side down the other side goes UP.

You only have a certain amount of "Gallons" of water in the system. If you restrict flow going into the rear chambers (raising gate here I think) you leave more in the DT and less volume in the rear. Ideally you get the correct amount in the DT via the control (again I think this is called the GATE for yall) and then add water to the system to refill the back chamber to the desired height.

Regardless of the procedure adding a reliable ATO is the key to 24/7 consistency.

Thanks for all the input guys, I am installing the Tunze osmolator with magnet holders tomorrow, am i correct in thinking that i want to use the right chamber over the left one? and the water feeds also into the right heater chamber?

kind regards

John

Just wanted to give a big thank you for the link to the thread on setting everything up! I was in the same struggle and since setting up the tank on 1/7, I couldn't get the skimmer to do anything but either aerate the water or foam over. I'm happy to report that as of yesterday afternoon - after hours of tinkering, I finally had a nice head of foam collecting junk from the tank. And checking it again this morning, everything is up and running correctly.

The ATO (mine's a Spectrapure Level Controller) makes a WORLD of difference. I appreciate all the help from the forum members!

Gary

wingman6

Thanks for all the input guys, I am installing the Tunze osmolator with magnet holders tomorrow, am i correct in thinking that i want to use the right chamber over the left one? and the water feeds also into the right heater chamber?

kind regards

John

Had the same problem a few months ago. As the others said, ATO is the biggest help. Next, tip i would say is run the polishing filter just slightly off the bottom so that when it clogs up you don't end up raising the level in the back and then starving the left pump.

Finally, and based on a bad experience i had, id put the float in the right chamber after the heater. I came down one morning to find that the carbon and denitrate i had in the left chamber had shifted and seal the left chamber next to the skimmer. This kept that chamber low and constantly filling. Let's just say the tank was VERY full and thank god my reservoir ran out of water first.