Stinkin' Flatworms!

JulesVane

My 90 has suffered an infestation at the greatest meaning of the word! I read and re-read the entire 8 page sticky on the subject. Seems most success has been from the use of Flatworm Exit. But, I've got this kinda' "hang-up" on trying to make such a prestine water condition that the thought of dumping poison in my tank just doesn't sit right with me (LOL). Thus far, I've tried every natural predator: The Six-Line Wrasse: IF this lovely fish IS eating ANY of them, I sure don't see it (and I watch, believe me!). I added 2 Yellow Coris Wrasse and actually took a turkey baster to dislodge the worms and get them free floating. The worms float right past all the Wrasse faces, not a bite! I added 2 Peppermint Shrimp and an ugly Arrow Crab...nothing! I have a Mandarin Dragonet...nothing! Some suggest a Blue/Green Chromis...they float past him also, not interested. I've looked all over for a Blue Velvet Nudibranch, but with a 3 month life span and no arrive alive guarentee, and very slow, I haven't bothered. The Flat-worms are covering everything. All my pretty purple rock is shingled with 'em. Oh well! I love this hobby, no matter how frustaiting it can be at times. So, guess I gotta' go with the Flatworm Exit, though I truly hate the thought of it! I can't believe how I've read so much on the creatures I mentioned above wiping out entire Flatworm populations in a matter of a week or two, and mine won't touch 'em. Ughhh...

GrendelPrime

before u use flatworm exit i would try to syphon out as many as u can cause when u nuke them they will polute ur tank

Uslanja

We've often thought that there should be some type of "vacuum cleaner" for reef tanks. Our thoughts have been along the line of using a canister style filter and "vacuuming" the undesirable things up with the intake line and returning the water to the tank. As well the "vacuum" should be able to remove other types of debris off the rocks and substrate in the display as well as the sump/fuge.

A low tech solution might be to siphon the worms out with some tubing and strain it through a filter sock into a pail. Then the water could be returned to the tank without requiring a huge volume of change water.

We agree that using chemicals should be a last resort. Whatever gets added to the water is going to have an effect, and possibly not one that is desired.

Good luck and let us know how you ultimately resolve this issue.

Corailline

I have seen many hobbyist use flatworm exit with good results, but usually with the second treatment.

I agree get out as many as you can before treatment. You can probably only visually see 50% of them, so a major die off would be very toxic to your tank. Big water change and carbon after treatment.

Personally I would not hesitate to use it on one of my tanks.

And lastly sometimes fish that will not eat flatworms but after a couple of days of no alternative feedings, they get much more interested, especially the damsels.

If your are sure you do not want to go the flatworm exit route I strongly suggest the velvet nudi/ with your population it will feast for days or even weeks. The risk seems well worth it to me, the look of flatworms in a system drives me crazy.

Last edited:

JulesVane

Thanx for the feedback guys! I have definately considered cutting back on feedings to get these Wrasse hungry enough to hunt down the Flatworms, but I've got the other livestock to consider. Some folks suggest that the Wrasse ARE eating them, that I just don't notice 'cause of such a population. But, I've actually seen my 6-Line injest one and spit it out. Then, when feeding time comes, that same 6-Line will absolutely pig out! His (or her) belly will look like it swallowed a marble! The pair of Yellow Coris Wrasse ARE fairly new, so I'll give them a chance. Seems supplies of Blue Velvet Nudis are slim. I've got enough Flatworms to keep ANY Flatworm feeder very happy for a very long time!...Will keep 'ya posted...

JulesVane

Thanks for the suggestion Snowman. Probably might be feasable and actually a great idea if we were talking about a "Pico Reef", but we're talking about a fully stocked (corals golore) 90 gallon tank with OVER 200 pounds of live rock. Overkill on the amount of rock, I know, but it was in my old 125 gallon reef tank. Thanks for the caring suggestion though!

snowman theta

I thought I'd ask!
I'm always surprised what drops out of my new rock when I dip it.
I found a Pycnogonid sea spider just this week!

JulesVane

Hi Merlin...Yes...those tiny rust/brown critters are smothering everything! I believe I've got a few Blue Velvet Nudibranchs on the way...I hope.

GrendelPrime

there was a thread awhile back about adding coral to quarentein tanks to make sure theres no nastys on the coral, kinda makes sence because we usualy have no idea whats in the systems we get our frags and coral from

Merlin67

Yep. they love light and over feeding as well. The best thing is the flat worm exit for sure. You can dip the corals in a strong Lugol's Solution. you see them curl up and get out of the rocks and stuff. But, you will only get out what you can. Then you can use the flat work exit to finish the job.

JulesVane

So...Merlin? A Saddle Back Wrasse will do the job, huh? (LMAO)...I'm gonna eventually have a tank FULL of critters that were SUPPOSED to eat flatworms! As you've read earlier...every fish or invert that was a "sure fire cure" has not touched the boogers! (I'm actually laughing). But, I'll get 'em...whether fish, invert or dynamite! I'll get 'em!

JandR

So...Merlin? A Saddle Back Wrasse will do the job, huh? (LMAO)...I'm gonna eventually have a tank FULL of critters that were SUPPOSED to eat flatworms! As you've read earlier...every fish or invert that was a "sure fire cure" has not touched the boogers! (I'm actually laughing). But, I'll get 'em...whether fish, invert or dynamite! I'll get 'em!

LOL I know this sucks to have happened to you but at least your taking with some good sense of humor!! =}

Merlin67

Thalassoma duperrey

Make sure it's a Juvenile that looks like this. black & white on it for sure.
A had a client who had masses of both flat worms. He told me he didn't even had to feed it cause it was muching on them and all the bristle worms as well.

Some have success with big mandarin goby. Others don't. So, at this point, it depends on the fish! lol.

Attachments

• thalassoma-duperrey-j.jpg
    thalassoma-duperrey-j.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 35

JulesVane

Please, don't get me wrong as I sure do appreciate the attention to my plight. BUT...I've got a Six-line, 2 Yellow Wrasse, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, an Arrow Crab, a Mandarin Dragonet and a Blue/Green Chromis...ALL of which have been said to eat Flatworms. I've witnessed my 6-Line Wrasse actually put ONE in his mouth and spit it out!! This was a fish that was supposed to be a Flatworm's mortal enemy. I've been told by some that they put a 6-Line in an infested tank and the Flatworms were gone by 2 weeks, (and mine, of course, spits them out! LOL). I'm hoping for the Blue Velvet Nudibranch (or 3)...Next step, Flatworm Exit (or, Dynamite!)