Steves LEDS

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I am definitely considering them. I printed out the instructions for my husband and son to read and see if they think they can handle the install. I will order the 90% finished ones if I order them. I am also trying to find out how complicated it is to hook them up to my Apex.

Acanman

Yeah im pretty excited. But A discouraging fact is i could not find any video of the kit in action on youtube. And for this price and claims of 10 min install and 50% stronger than the stock t5s --all for under $500 .....i would think dozens of people on this forum would have tried it out.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I can attest that the install is insanely easy and straight forward. I honestly thought to myself, "Self, there is no way it can be that easy to install."

It was that easy. I would imagine that once I took the splash shield off, if I had not had screw issues I would have had the unit hooked up in less than 5 minutes. Keep in mind that I went with the dimming knobs and my hood already had the exact size and position holes needed so they just slipped into place.

My installed was 4 screws, 2 dimming knobs, 2 push connectors and 1 power cord to install. That does not include the time it took to remove my existing LED, splash shield, or to replace the splash shield (I took the time to soak and clean my splash shield while I had it off the tank).

Drop Jeff a note and ask him if he can refer you to an existing customer with the RSM250 kit that you can talk to. I wouldn't mind him sending potential clients my way if the need were there.

sawcjack00

I have the 130D 95% complete kit, and I love it. My tank is new, so I can't state what types of corals it will support, but I can say that it is way brighter than the stock lights, and the adjustability of the color spectrum is fantastic. I still have to hook it up to my reefkeeper, but the instal of the actual lights was a breeze. They were also very quick to respond to any questions that I had.

Choff

Gratz!

Now someone tell Steve to get crack-a-lackin on an RSM 650 mod kit....or maybe ask really really nicely. :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Can't wait to see the 250 kit in action.

Choff I sent them an email just now asking about the 650 possibility.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Choff I don't know if you heard back from Jeff at StevesLED or not but here is what I got just now:

We have a retrofit kit program, where the customer sends in their hood. They only pay for the parts kit and return shipping. We provide them with a 100% Complete System upgrade along with a free installation into their hood. This is valued at $105-$400, depending on the hood. Turnaround time is 36-48 hours - very fast.

That's AWESOME! I would have done that with my RSM130D when I was in the market if I had known that. I mean that's got so much potential and to have it "factory" installed is SWEET!

They also plan to do "Standard Kit" engineered for that tank but it will require design, testing, and such before it's a "Ready to ship" kit. My vote is for the Factory Install.... Yeah Baby!!

Acanman

Thats great info dang. Steve did not mention that to me at all. I probably would have done it. They lose a point for customer service on that one. Also they do NOT return emails on a timely fashion which annoys me. Its been 48 hours and i havnt been notifiedif the kit shipped out yet....

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It was 48hrs (in the evening for me) when I got ship notification.

They've been really good about returning my email so hopefully they're just backjambed at the moment. Give it another day and shoot them another email.

I think the "factory install" is only until they have the production kit ready to go into their product line.

ksicard

Typhon LED Controller

This is the controller I just setup tonight for my 75g reef, which I assume our lights are very similar due to size of a standard 75 vs a 250 max. Setup was a bit difficult for someone like myself who's never wired things before, but now that its setup I'm truly amazed by the technology of a cheap controller such as that one. Sunrises and sunsets are so damn cool to see in a fish tank. Even happier with my purcahse, I might even be adding a 3rd heatsink so I can utilize all 4 channels on my controller for maxium color control and growth. Still deciding on what two colors to add, because I think I can squeeze a 3rd heat sink in on my canopy if I line things up nice and neat.