Steves LEDs Review

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Typhoon looks awesome Glenn and I'm wrapped to hear that you're really enjoying the new look! :) But enough with the teasing us, we need some pics, pronto! :p

Sounds like you've got it all under control with the light acclimatisation and making sure everyone enjoys the change as well :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Dom - there a bit more to the story, I have not shared yet, my corals were in the dark for 10 days, (I had help with my install... there will be some exciting news coming from Steve and team, that should be released in the near future, news I think every RSM 250 owner will really like) So the pics of the tank are a bit out... while my corals recover, but for one day in, I am loving the looks ! Will share pics of tank & corals as soon as I can. I also have a bit of a learning curve shooting pics of leds, but I will get it.

I am watching sunset now, very very cool !

I also want to share Steve's customer & Jeff's service so far has been stellar !

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Dom - there a bit more to the story, I have not shared yet, my corals were in the dark for 10 days, (I had help with my install... there will be some exciting news coming from Steve and team, that should be released in the near future, news I think every RSM 250 owner will really like) So the pics of the tank are a bit out... while my corals recover, but for one day in, I am loving the looks ! Will share pics of tank & corals as soon as I can. I also have a bit of a learning curve shooting pics of leds, but I will get it.

I am watching sunset now, very very cool !

I also want to share Steve's customer service so far has been stellar !
I can forgive you this once on not taking any pics Glenn :cool: lol but next time you won't be so lucky :guns: haha

Hopefully all the corals are still happy with a bit of a solar eclipse over the last weeks or so :) I'm sure you'll have them recovered and bounced back to health in no time! Yes, led pics are a little more tricky aren't they? Bit of a learning curve with led's in general I think :ponder2:

Sunsets and sunrises are really nice aren't they? Especially with the heavy blues :D So much POP! Can't wait to see what Jeff has in store for us next!

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Good job getting everything up and running Glenn!

Here's a bit of insider information for you RSM250 LED fans currently running stock T5's. Our brand new fixture (Glenn has serial #00001) is indeed a super simple drop in fixture - one cable to pass through an existing cable hole in the hood. No drilling, no cutting, no modifying, no technical skill, no frustration, no worry installation. We have a short video for each and every little step of the process, which basically holds your hand through the entire simple installation to eliminate ANY concerns. Did I mention it is more than bright enough to grow every species of coral, clam and anemone from every ocean?

Here's the gist of the instructions:
Steps:
1) Take the hood apart (Showing how to remove the screw plugs without scratching the hood!)
2) Remove the existing wiring
3) Drop in the new fixture and mount it using 5 of the existing screw holes
4) Close up the hood
5) Plug it in
6) Brag to your friends

Want to see how easy step 3 is? Check it out - http://stevesleds.info/drop_in_fixture.gif

We have all hands on deck working on finishing up the manual and videos, it will be released any day now.

Any questions?

Jeff

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
drop_in_fixture.gif

NickF

Looks great Glenn & I really like the idea of being able to set a sunrise & sunset. What happened to the HUGE hammer?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
wanted to add to this thread...

and this is the highest compliment I can pay Steve & Jeff (I have talked to both on the phone with questions, pm & exchanged e-mails) they have been like the best of RS members - helping with every question I had, like getting a RSM tank & having the RSM Club here on RS there to help you, they have been absolutely great. If you give the new version a go, I am sure Jeff will help you with any questions you have pre and post sales !

Also... RS member @Pat24601 has also been very kind answering my many questions about his Steve's leds - Pat you are a great resource to all RS members - thanks Pat !

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
What happened to the HUGE hammer?

Thxs Nick - I finally did it & fragged him up and sold him to the lfs for a couple hundred in trade, I still have about 8 frags & 20+ heads, my new leds should grow him back :java: he was taking over, now I have room for lots of new corals :nessie: but I do miss him

IMG_1562zzz.jpg

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Loving my new leds ! corals 2 days in seem to love them too :nessie: I plan to add some new ones, knowing I have the light now to support even the most demanding ones now, was going to wait before posting a fts, but Dom wanted to see it now :turtle2: :wink:

8A60E84B-CD7C-48B8-A4A3-FBD9E0096101.jpg
Tank looks awesome under the new LED's Glenn :) I'm going to miss that enormous hammer you had though, that thing was one of my favourite corals going around :yup: Looks like you have some space for a few new additions though ;) hint hint!
How are you liking the led's after running them for roughly a week now??

@StevesLEDs you and your team have outdone yourselves again mate! The new drop and play units look fantastic! Taking the units that extra step further and make it a little more accessible to those that are not technically will make a huge difference for a lot of people. There's no surprise you have one of the best retrofit kits around!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Dom - I love the looks of my tank under the new leds and it has only been 6 days, but I can tell the corals are already growing and happy ! Am going to get some more new corals soon :smile:

I always wanted a controller - sunrise - sunset is so cool ! The fish enjoy the lights not popping on & off - as Di said in a post, now I get to see them getting ready for bed & getting up for the day - during the natural sunrise & sunset, I have this set over a 2 hour period.

and a HUGE +1 ^ to your post about StevesLEDS

sidebar - I have found one very small thing I had read from many of you with leds, but am now experiencing, that is taking pictures under leds - my tank looks Fantastic - I worked hard to find the right T5 combination for my eyes, I found them in the ATI combo I was running, my leds I like them just as much if not more - but shooting picks to share, the pre-processor in the camera makes the sand look like it has cyano, when it is 100% pure white - I have taken a bunch of pics so far, but I am still in a learning curve there. So for anyone looking at pics of leds posted, so far mine are not representing how lovely it really is, because the pre-processor in the camera is not handling the leds accurately, but I am still workin on that. I need to go to the RS subforum on photography and do some reading on shooting under leds.

dburkart

Glenn,

Try setting the white balance on the camera, that should help with the color.

Dave

Thanks Dom - I love the looks of my tank under the new leds and it has only been 6 days, but I can tell the corals are already growing and happy ! Am going to get some more new corals soon :smile:

I always wanted a controller - sunrise - sunset is so cool ! The fish enjoy the lights not popping on & off - as Di said in a post, now I get to see them getting ready for bed & getting up for the day - during the natural sunrise & sunset, I have this set over a 2 hour period.

and a HUGE +1 ^ to your post about StevesLEDS

sidebar - I have found one very small thing I had read from many of you with leds, but am now experiencing, that is taking pictures under leds - my tank looks Fantastic - I worked hard to find the right T5 combination for my eyes, I found them in the ATI combo I was running, my leds I like them just as much if not more - but shooting picks to share, the pre-processor in the camera makes the sand look like it has cyano, when it is 100% pure white - I have taken a bunch of pics so far, but I am still in a learning curve there. So for anyone looking at pics of leds posted, so far mine are not representing how lovely it really is, because the pre-processor in the camera is not handling the leds accurately, but I am still workin on that. I need to go to the RS subforum on photography and do some reading on shooting under leds.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Dave - I have a nice Canon, but I have got lazy, posting pics from my iphone over the last couple years - with the photobucket app - take pic & have it up on the forum in less than a minute.

I need to get out my dslr and work on that...

Last night I shot a dozen pics with my iphone, clicking the different setting it has... on & off here one better one, but still not the best pic, getting closer... whatever setting I picked shows it more like what I see & less purple, but not "right" yet, as after 10 days in dark my sand is like new white :nessie:

9F040159-2EE3-4FB8-B0DD-2BE72DAA27B2.jpg