Steves LEDs Review

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hoping to add my review with pics to this thread too... as soon as I can sort some details :clink: planning on converting my RSM 250 to Steve's LEDs, with Jeff's advice. The more I read about these leds, the more impressed I am.

Pat has also been a great inspiration, following every post he has made related. Also Greg (goma) posts.

Blue Space

Hi Glenn! Just so I don't have to do all that reading you've already done, what was it specifically that reeled you in? :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Chris,

In general...I decided I wanted leds, for the reasons many of you know, like less power consumption, less heat, not having to buy new bulbs, more light (more than double the stock 6 39 watt T5s output), easily adjustable colors, controller sunrise/sunset option, shimmering effect, better moonlights, great looks and better coral growth - the ability to support sps corals that need higher light requirements, less noise (less fans, less heat)...

I still know less than many about leds, I love to read all the post on RS about them, having read about them for six year now, I really believe they have come a long long way & can "properly" support even our most demanding corals.

As for Steve's leds, Jeff has sold me on them being some of the best available, comparable to the best known brand names out there in leds. Jeff's many post on RS and RS members reviews that have them now and reviews on Steve's customer service being great.

Once I have them up and running, I will give a full report & report how my corals respond. Lots know so much more than I, about leds, but I finally felt comfortable for the 1st time, enough to layout the $$$ & get what I am hoping will be great leds at a good value & you know I like quality & value. Hope something here helps...

I have had fantastic success running my RSM 250 stock & the stock T5s, my hood is nearing 5 year old & that played a part to in my thinking... I am sure many can make a better case for them, but I just decide to give them a try, a year from now, I will know for sure...

Here is one post Jeff made that really got my attention...

So What's The Deal With These LEDs?

Awesome article. I will like to add that measuring LEDs is definitely more difficult than MH. Since MH light is broad spectrum with minor concentration on certain wavelengths, a standard PAR meter works great. Since a properly designed marine LED system uses LEDs with wavelengths that are aimed at coral zooxanthellae's photosynthetic peaks in massive amounts - this quickly saturates a standard PAR meter's sensor.

The proper tool for measurement would be the radiospectrometer. Yes a 10X intensity increase when compared to MH is a bit high, but not as outrageous as you may think. MH outputs light across a huge spectrum from ~380nm - 800nm+. Lower wavelengths take a significantly larger amount of electricity than the higher wavelengths. Note: that is not all usable light to corals. Corals typically absorb the light in the wavelengths where their photosynthetic peaks lay, everything else is reflected.

I can't speak of the Cree LEDs - we only sold those for a while, and had a huge issue with reliability from them. The Luxeon ES (and latest version of the Rebels), when measured in comparison to a very high end MH bulb, while using a radiospectrometer in the chemistry lab at the University of New Orleans, showed that the Luxeon ES fixtures that Steve's LEDs makes, using our custom LED combinations - has shown that they actually output about 8.2 times the amount of "usable" light than the MH. To define "usable light" I mean producing light in massive amounts at specific wavelengths that corals can actually use to photosynthesize and grow. Granted, the MH and LED overall lumens comparison results in LEDs being only ~2.1X more efficient at creating light (heavily depending on the manufacturer and color temp of the MH bulb. But in an aquarium, the whole purpose of selecting a suitable light is to find something that 1) makes corals grow well, and 2) makes corals look awesome.

That said, a good LED system will be able to do everything a traditional lighting fixture can, all while having an even brighter appearance than MH, T5, or any other lighting system, all while providing a significantly higher amount of usable light.

Here's the kicker: MH bulb manufacturer's specs - although seem amazing on the box, start to degrade almost immediately, within a matter of hours. So MH posted specs are only valid moments after plugging them in, and degrade dramatically, where the bulb is barely even usable after 1 year necessitating yearly bulb changes. LEDs have negligible degradation, and remain usable past the 15 year (24/7 operation) mark. All the while consuming significantly less electricity and outputting much less heat.

In conclusion, I love LEDs because they are awesome.

Jeff

Last edited:

dgilbert2

Looking forward to your report Glenn, that's at least two of us at the moment just ordered stevesleds :)

Being is the U.S. you should not have to wait as long as I did for the courier to deliver them :yup:

Danreef

Looking forward to your report Glenn, that's at least two of us at the moment just ordered stevesleds :)

Being is the U.S. you should not have to wait as long as I did for the courier to deliver them :yup:

If Jeff comes with a setup that I just open the plastic lid of the RSM250. Take the T5 bulbs. Screw there the setup with one wire (or 2 ) that I can pass through a new hole made in the hood. All without touching the original electric wiring of the RSM, then...... I want one.

Cheers and I will follow your instalation thread.

Daniel

Ps: unless Jeff wants to visit Boston and install his actual system in my hood, in 1-2 hours, as he claims. I wait him with a nice BQ and Samuel Adams beer !!! :)

Pat24601

If Jeff comes with a setup that I just open the plastic lid of the RSM250. Take the T5 bulbs. Screw there the setup with one wire (or 2 ) that I can pass through a new hole made in the hood. All without touching the original electric wiring of the RSM, then...... I want one.

Cheers and I will follow your instalation thread.

Daniel

Ps: unless Jeff wants to visit Boston and install his actual system in my hood, in 1-2 hours, as he claims. I wait him with a nice BQ and Samuel Adams beer !!! :)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure this is physically possible beyond what the instructions already are.

Right now the instructions say to take out every bit of the electric wiring, which you need to do to physically make room. Aside from taking it out, you aren't using the original electric wiring in any way. So, I don't think it's that hard because you can't screw anything up, you are just taking it. But, the original wiring eats up pretty much all the space in the hood, so I think it probably needs to come out.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
This is a couple quick iphone teaser pics - because I am tired and off to bed ... my new Steve's LEDs are installed up & running :woohoo: :clownfish::clownfish::clownfish:

Quick top down pic shimmer of my new leds - lots more to come... very excited !

DF887665-1C2B-4909-AD65-51C071440CE3.jpg

59399321-CE42-4770-B854-9BB0915CB9CF.jpg

Last edited:

Pat24601

This is a teaser pic - because I am tired and off to bed ... my new Steve's LEDs are installed up & running :woohoo: :clownfish::clownfish::clownfish:

Quick top down pic shimmer of my new leds - lots more to come... very excited !

DF887665-1C2B-4909-AD65-51C071440CE3.jpg

Awesome! I look forward to hearing more details after you've had time to play around a bit.

dgilbert2

Glad to see you have got your StevesLEDs working Glenn. Are you pleased with them and is the result on your tank what you expected?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So far (24 hours in...) I am very happy - still getting my typhoon controller sorted & programmed - sunrise, sunset etc...

am and will be,,, ramping up slowly, from what I have read on leds... 60-90 days out you will have a real idea of how the corals are liking them (leds)... so will report back, observations in the corals, every few weeks & make a definitive assessment on my led coral growth in a few months.

But I anticipate loving them... so far the "looks" I am very happy with, not knowing how much of a change it would be from ATI bulbs...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:celebrate: I'm VERY EXCITED for you Glenn!!! :celebrate:
I think You will L:heart:VE THEM....the fade in Sunrise & fade out Sunset is just AMAZING!! I like to see the fish start getting ready for bed :sleeeeeepyyyyy: ....they seem to know how much longer they have before the light fades out. :) Beautiful to watch. :thumbup:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Got my Typhoon controller programmed & working... :nessie:

Can't wait to see sunset tonight :clownfish: and sunrise in the morn...

Typhoon controller... 2 hours sunrise starting at 7am & 2 hour sunset starting at 7pm
40% power to start when on maximum... for now .

Absolutely loving the looks ! Corals & even the colors of the fish are popping !

55DEE3B1-A229-4D3C-A502-68B1E1D0C6C3.jpg

Power supply for the lights & Typhoon controller in my RSM cabinet.
CE1E3C3E-80BE-491D-BE1D-749C4B48E75D.jpg

Pat24601

Got my Typhoon controller programmed & working... :nessie:

Can't wait to see sunset tonight :clownfish: and sunrise in the morn...

Typhoon controller... 2 hours sunrise starting at 7am & 2 hour sunset starting at 7pm
40% power to start when on maximum... for now .

Absolutely loving the looks ! Corals & even the colors of the fish are popping !

55DEE3B1-A229-4D3C-A502-68B1E1D0C6C3.jpg

Power supply for the lights & Typhoon controller in my RSM cabinet.
CE1E3C3E-80BE-491D-BE1D-749C4B48E75D.jpg

That's totally awesome! Glad to see it working well!

dgilbert2

Glad you have got the Typhon sorted Glenn.

Was your photo period with the T5's as much as this? I ask because after 10 days with my StevesLED's I am starting to see the dreaded bleaching on my Frogspawn and Mushroom Anemones, even at 22% Blue and 30% white :(

This could be because I (stupidly) went from 6 hrs of T5 to 12 hours LED, with 1.5 hours fade at each end of the day. Also, it could be related to my parameters which are now on the mend.

Personally from my experience now, I would start much lower than 40% and ensure a similar photo period. I thought I was being careful, especially as my tank was much dimmer with these settings than T5's, but still got caught out :(

You don't want to know what my wife thinks especially when my tank looked so nice to her with the T5's.