Steve's LED's Conversion - UK installation problem

Woodbeast

Sorry to read about the latest problems with your new LED system. I have been thinking about getting these for my C130 but a clear downside is when things go wrong in the UK when items from the States. Support does sound good though from the stevesleds and I am sure you will be fully up and running soon.

One question, after the upgrade, do the Red Sea cooling fans still work that blow across the water surface?
It's not been the smoothest project it has to be said, but other than a day or so with no contact, which was down to some staff training, Jeff at Steve's Led's has been excellent so far. It's always a little more complicated dealing with companies overseas and you have to factor Customs duty into any purchase as well. Postage takes about a week, even when sent priority, but to be fair, UK Customs do their best to slow this up as much as they can.

Despite the latest setback, I'm still excited about this install and the benefits it will bring.

I'll happily give you a full review of the kit and my experiences once everything's installed and I've had a good period of time to work with it.

At present one of my LED bars is working perfectly, but the other one has some issues, which I've left a message with Jeff about. I wonder if the packaging took a beating on route, as the original power unit blew on first use. This was replaced with no quibbles which was great and the new one I received yesterday is working perfectly!!! Hope we can resolve the led bar issue quickly too, as my tank needs it's lighting back. I haven't installed the working unit yet, so I can keep the kit available for easy testing, but plan to put that one in v shortly.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Woodbeast

Sorry to read about the latest problems with your new LED system. I have been thinking about getting these for my C130 but a clear downside is when things go wrong in the UK when items from the States. Support does sound good though from the stevesleds and I am sure you will be fully up and running soon.

One question, after the upgrade, do the Red Sea cooling fans still work that blow across the water surface?
Sorry I didn't answer your question re the cooling fans..... I took mine out a few years a go as part of my chiller install, but i think you can leave them in. Jeff will happily confirm for sure. [emoji3]

dgilbert2

Thanks for the information. I've asked Jeff about the fans earlier so will see what he says. Looking at the installation instructions you seem to take out all existing wiring, switches and power supplies so not sure how I would keep them. I don't have a cooler so happy to stay with them.

Woodbeast

Thanks for the information. I've asked Jeff about the fans earlier so will see what he says. Looking at the installation instructions you seem to take out all existing wiring, switches and power supplies so not sure how I would keep them. I don't have a cooler so happy to stay with them.
On the 250, you definitely can leave a few bits in if you wish, ie existing Led's, but you're right, most is stripped. I stripped absolutely everything out of mine.

I'd expect to see an approximate 2 degree drop as a result of the conversion, which may mean that I stop using the chiller all together, or may look into using an external pump to reduce the heat generated from my existing internal; and keep the chiller going - not sure yet.

Do you think you'll still need these fans once converted?

dgilbert2

Mines the C130 system so space would be a premium compared to your 250.

Although my C130 has only been running for a couple of weeks, even when the lights are off the fans will occasionally come on (Controlled by an STC-1000 when temperature reaches 27.8).

If needed I could just to get a 12V mains plug type power supply.

Desmond

I just used the original components and wired the fans onto the timer. They come on when my lights do and off when there off. I am going to reduce the time as not much heat is generated at start up of lighting phase or later in the even.

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

IanReefer

I left the fans in mine, but they are completely unnecessary. They are still in there, but they aren't running since all they do is make noise.

I had the SAME think happen with mine, the flickering whenever I bumped the kitchen table it was sitting on. It happened after I removed the dimmer to install a bridge wire since I am using the Typhon. Turns out that I had damaged the connector when taking the dimmer out. I must have pushed my screwdriver too far it, or maybe it was just too big. Anyway the connector no longer grabbed the wire, and after talking with Derek at Steve's, they offered to replace it at no charge - and it was my own fault. I live in Oklahoma, so it's not that big of a deal for me to ship it back, but the UK is inconvenient. I paid shipping, and they fixed it for free.

It was hard to admit that I screwed it up, but I have learned my lesson. Good connectors, you just have to use the right tool to take the wires out.

Woodbeast

I left the fans in mine, but they are completely unnecessary. They are still in there, but they aren't running since all they do is make noise.

I had the SAME think happen with mine, the flickering whenever I bumped the kitchen table it was sitting on. It happened after I removed the dimmer to install a bridge wire since I am using the Typhon. Turns out that I had damaged the connector when taking the dimmer out. I must have pushed my screwdriver too far it, or maybe it was just too big. Anyway the connector no longer grabbed the wire, and after talking with Derek at Steve's, they offered to replace it at no charge - and it was my own fault. I live in Oklahoma, so it's not that big of a deal for me to ship it back, but the UK is inconvenient. I paid shipping, and they fixed it for free.

It was hard to admit that I screwed it up, but I have learned my lesson. Good connectors, you just have to use the right tool to take the wires out.
I've resolved the flickering issue now so my only issue is with a set of the Led's not working at all. They've never shown any signs of life, so not an installation error. There's no flickering with this set, or any signs of life. Checked all the connections too..it's weird. It's basically the top set on the 2nd led board.

I installed the system today, as my tank has been without lights for 2 weeks. Got to say it's looking great...but just this one set not working, so really keen to solve this. I've sent Jeff @ Steve's a video of the issue, so I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

Glad they sorted your issue out for you.

On a separate note....as part of the install, the dimmers are set to their minimum position just prior to the typhoon install. Is there any recommendation to turn these up over time, as from what I can tell, the 100% typhoon setting is 100% of the dimmers min position. This currently looks lovely, but having tested the system, I can see its capable of much brighter lighting.

What have your guys experiences been?

uploadfromtaptalk1435606069838.jpg

Pat24601

I set my dimmers max (to 100%) and control the intensity solely with the typhoon controller. Typically, I'd say start at somewhere around 40. You don't have to do it that way, but I think it's a common way to go.

The only thing I really use my dimmers for is to easily turn down my blues so I can take a picture. Otherwise, my dimmers are always at max (100%).

Woodbeast

I set my dimmers max (to 100%) and control the intensity solely with the typhoon controller. Typically, I'd say start at somewhere around 40. You don't have to do it that way, but I think it's a common way to go.

The only thing I really use my dimmers for is to easily turn down my blues so I can take a picture. Otherwise, my dimmers are always at max (100%).
Thanks Pat, yeah that does seem a really logical way of doing it, but thought I'd better stick to the installation guide initially.

I'll have a go at doing it that way tomorrow! [emoji3]

Woodbeast

Woodbeast,
I just shot you an email. Let me know how everything turns out.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the email, yup just read it. I'll give that solution a try tomorrow hopefully and will let you know how I got on.

I'm sure you've already read, but I got the system up and running today and I'm really pleased with the results, so if I can get this one last issue resolved, I'll be a very happy chap!!

Thanks for your continued support, as always.

Woodbeast

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the email, yup just read it. I'll give that solution a try tomorrow hopefully and will let you know how I got on.

I'm sure you've already read, but I got the system up and running today and I'm really pleased with the results, so if I can get this one last issue resolved, I'll be a very happy chap!!

Thanks for your continued support, as always.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post on here that my LED System is now fully installed and fully operational!!!! [emoji1]

Despite it not being the smoothest journey in the beginning I have been super impressed with the support you guys on the forum have offered me and most of all from Jeff at Steve's Led's.

With his help we've manged to easily troubleshoot and work out solutions for all points I've struggled with and my tank now it looks better than it ever has.

Best of all, the temperature is so much more manageable than with the stock t5's which is going to give me the confidence to start adding in more corals, when finances allow, without the fear of losing them due to temp.

I know a lot of you guys are already converts and I'm glad I listened to your advice. It wasn't an easy decision, especially being an overseas customer, with my only regret being having to give UK Customs any of my money...the UK Government gets more than enough from.me already!!!

I thoroughly recommend this system and will gladly share my experiences to anyone wanting advice on a potential purchase....especially for anyone outsider's US.

I'm so happy right now. Thanks all [emoji1]

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
WoodBeast,
Thanks for the feedback, and glad all is well. Good job on getting it up and running. All we need now are some photos!

Just as a side note to our other international customers, we do provide shipping insurance to all overseas shipments - so if parts are service is required, we can do that in a surprisingly expeditious fashion (such as getting a power supply across the pond in just 3-5 days at NO cost to you).

Jeff

dgilbert2

Good to hear that everything has worked out for you, well done :cheers:

I've now also ordered some for my C130 and being in the UK will also face the customs issue. How do they contact you to make a payment?

Woodbeast

Good to hear that everything has worked out for you, well done :cheers:

I've now also ordered some for my C130 and being in the UK will also face the customs issue. How do they contact you to make a payment?
Good work...Yeah, I'm really pleased with the results...going to post some pics when I get a mo.

I got my customs notice direct from parcel force, it comes like an old style payslip requesting your payment before they'll release the package. This is pre empted also if you follow the parcel tracking online, which the guys at Steve's Led's will send you. You can select to have email updates each time there's progress, which is worth doing too. [emoji3]

dgilbert2

Hi Woodbeast, I have just spotted that the Typhon controller needs a 12V DC input. Did you get a UK power wall plug provided for this or how did you connect yours?