Steve's LED mod for S400/S500/S650 series

LakeLivin

Tim, we are the first ones doing the install and there are no directions yet. The install should take no more than an hour and with a few lessons learned from the early adopters it should be a very smooth process.

...stupid auto correct

Yeah Mike, I understand and certainly appreciate you volunteering to figure it all out by experiencing all the problems so if any of the rest of us attempt to do the same we should have a much easier go with it. I'm with Salty on this but I think 19 pictures and 25 pages of instructions should suffice, but that's only if you provide a companion disc with 8 or 9 "how to" videos. You do a good job and I'm sure he will provide you with the next generation of LED's for free.

Look at APEX, I was told that comprehensive owners manual they provide with their name on it was actually put together by a user who is not even an employee. It that's true, I hope he at least got some freebies.

If you are really into that kind of stuff Redsea could use some help with their instructions. They give you the basics to assemble everything, but pretty much leave you to your devices to figure out all the rest. We could use a lot more instructions pertaining to the actual operation of all the components. Other stuff like the best methods to use cleaning different parts and how often, best method to do water changers (how often and what percentage of water to replace, more in depth skimmer operations issues, fixes tips and tricks etc. More detailed pictures and/or videos explaining the plumbing and how it all should be hooked up and how it all goes together so you can understand the big picture. They kind of leave you hanging to answer your questions ro figure it out through trial and error.

I still have not taken the time to find out how effective putting the long elbow PVC pipe on the down spout on the skimmer and running the output to the back of the skimmer/sump does. I suppose it makes the system a little quieter because it moves the water flow noise to the back of the tank, but isn't the output of the skimmer supposed to run down through the substrate bags one the shelf just in front of the skimmer? I'm sure someone will enlighten me, but it's one of the questions on my list that I have not pursued and answer to yet.

Choff

If I didn't make it clear, I'm on the shelf for a few weeks. I tried to work on this with my leg, but it's just not possible. Surgery Friday then it will be a good 2 or 3 weeks before I get back at this. Sorry all.... :(

...stupid auto correct

Wolffman64

I provided them with a complete write up and about 30 pics detailing each step. I'm surprised they didn't include any of that information.

With the exception of the Apex connection, if you have them build it the wiring should be completely done.

Matt, is there any chance that you could send me the pics and the write up?

Wolffman64

Does the S650/S500 retro fit come with moonlight? If not, what are you guys doing for "night" mode.

Tom

No it doesn't. I ordered the really cool moonlight from Steve's as well. It's only around $25, and has lots of cool effects. Matt has got that as well.

Mdk16

Hey Wolff. The file was sent back due to the 18 photos. I'll have to download/compress and resend. Below are the instructions without the photos. Most of the photos can be found on the Steve's led build and my thread.

Red Sea Max S series retro-fit 650
Stock light

Disconnect power
Remove lens and bulbs
Disconnect black end caps with 5 screws

Remove screws holding t5 bulb connectors

Remove reflector

Disconnect ballast and wires from fixture

Squeeze grommet together to release wire from the end cap

Unit is now empty and ready for the retrofit

Dry fit heat sinks to mark fan exhaust holes

Mark exhaust vents with a pencil and prepare to drill 1" hole with a bimetal hole bit. Drill slow and use a lubricant like WD40. Pilot hole.

Remove burrs

Reinstall both heat sinks. The fans create a pressure fit. We used small PVC spacers for compression to keep everything tight without screws. Each PVC piece was cut to 1 5/8".

Install led strip if applicable

Test system

Finished retro

Sent from my iPad

Wolffman64

Hey Wolff. The file was sent back due to the 18 photos. I'll have to download/compress and resend. Below are the instructions without the photos. Most of the photos can be found on the Steve's led build and my thread.

Red Sea Max S series retro-fit 650
Stock light

Disconnect power
Remove lens and bulbs
Disconnect black end caps with 5 screws

Remove screws holding t5 bulb connectors

Remove reflector

Disconnect ballast and wires from fixture

Squeeze grommet together to release wire from the end cap

Unit is now empty and ready for the retrofit

Dry fit heat sinks to mark fan exhaust holes

Mark exhaust vents with a pencil and prepare to drill 1" hole with a bimetal hole bit. Drill slow and use a lubricant like WD40. Pilot hole.

Remove burrs

Reinstall both heat sinks. The fans create a pressure fit. We used small PVC spacers for compression to keep everything tight without screws. Each PVC piece was cut to 1 5/8".

Install led strip if applicable

Test system

Finished retro

Sent from my iPad

Lol, cheers mate, you make it sound very easy...

DaddyTLi

Wolf, any status on your LEDs? How's it coming along? Steve's LED just added the retro kit for S500 on their website. Sad to say, is the same price as S650. I emailed Jeff, and he said that they provide the same amount of LEDs to allow for balanced light output.

Wow, I guess they have to squeeze 82 LEDs into the two 36.5" heat sink. The S650 has two 51".

Is there a 99% and a 95% complete? by default the 599 is unassembled, right?

Tom

Wolffman64

Hi, yep I got mine and they are fully installed (see my thread) am surprised about the price though,since I didn't get the same number of LED s as the 650????

Sent from my Lenovo B6000-F using Tapatalk