Steph's long odyssey - 300 gallon build

SJS

What an awesome system!
its come a long way already.
I am looking forward to the reef building to begin.

Thanks - I just bought more live rock - 6 beautiful pieces, I'll add the rest of the sand in the am and post more pics - then let the stocking begin (after the qt'ing of course!)

naperenterprise

I think its great you bought a house with a tank in it! That would be a great selling point for me if I was in the market for another house...lol

I love your tank!

SJS

Wow I like the rocks as they are too!! What size tank is he new one? and What kind of pooch is the research assistant? He looks tired too.

I bought some fresh live rock today - BIG pieces - The tank is 96x24 wide x30deep, 300 gallons. The pooch is a pound puppy - 11 years old now, he's probably border collie and lab mix. Great temperment, a definite momma's dog, and usually right underfoot. When I'm working on the tank he even crawls into the cabinet underneath just so he can keep track of whats going on...

SJS

I think its great you bought a house with a tank in it! That would be a great selling point for me if I was in the market for another house...lol

I love your tank!

Thanks, it was a selling point, I'd never thought about having a tank before that but now I wouldn't trade it for anything!!

SJS

That dog rules! Great shot. :)
Very good start to a thread. I look forward to seeing your system mature. That is the same size tank i will be getting this year i think. 300 96x30x30 right? I too would like to know who made it. I was glad to read you are going to screen over the drain lines. I saw that picture and... never mind. Keep up the good work and welcom to RS! :)

Thanks... It's a 300 but it's 96x24(W) x 30. I posted in another answer the link to the guys who made it, (haven't figured out how to put multiple reply's in one post) The weiring is really narrow, too narrow for any fish, but Id like some snails and crabs up there to keep that part clean. Still working on getting rid of the bathtub draining noise, then I can add a foam cover or some craft fabric....

elliottb

I bought some fresh live rock today - BIG pieces - The tank is 96x24 wide x30deep, 300 gallons. The pooch is a pound puppy - 11 years old now, he's probably border collie and lab mix. Great temperment, a definite momma's dog, and usually right underfoot. When I'm working on the tank he even crawls into the cabinet underneath just so he can keep track of whats going on...

I was thinking how the pooch looked like it had some border collie in it. I have a BC as well.

SJS

Update from earlier - Picked up some LR and LS. I ordered both from Oceanpro Aquatics, Inc. and picked it up today - it is really nice. I ordered it online and got a great price on it and then picked out my own pieces at their store they pulled them out of the tank and I picked them myself - here are some pics

Here are the first two pieces - thats a 16 oz bottle of Kent in between the two
IMG_1981.jpg

Here are two more
IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

Here's one side - can't decide which side to use, this one or
IMG_1988.jpg

this one
IMG_1987.jpg

Bought 6 big pieces alltogether - about 137 pounds - One of the pieces isn't Fiji - but it looked great so I got it!!!

The rocks have tons of color and smelled really fresh. We'll see how much of a spike I get...

Tomorrow I'll do the rockscaping and post again..

elliottb

Looks great! Do you know how you plan to aquascape the tank? Will you go with the pillar look, or the cliff look....etc?

SJS

I like the pillar look, but think I'll go the traditional reefwall with caves and bays etc... I can use the baserock to stack the new big pieces on. Maybe make some of them kinda islandish. I overflowed the fuges and sump putting that much rock in :ashamed: good thing they're in the garage now!!! I also got another 200 pounds of sand - my head is :turntable - so I have to get some water out before I add that tomorrow.... I'll scape - then add sand then finish it up...

Stacef

Steph! The pieces are gorgeous. I like the first side that you posted on what you are deciding on. The first one was just different not the typical "flat" side rock.. I am so excited to see your aquascaping! :faces:

SJS

Steph! The pieces are gorgeous. I like the first side that you posted on what you are deciding on. The first one was just different not the typical "flat" side rock.. I am so excited to see your aquascaping! :faces:

I was leaning toward that side too - it's got character!

JoJo

its coming along nicely, Steph. My wife wants to leave my set up in our house when we sell it in a couple of years, she believes it will be a selling point. I agreed because when we moved from our condo into this house i sold the 55g reef seperately & it was a hassle.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks... It's a 300 but it's 96x24(W) x 30. I posted in another answer the link to the guys who made it, (haven't figured out how to put multiple reply's in one post) The weiring is really narrow, too narrow for any fish, but Id like some snails and crabs up there to keep that part clean. Still working on getting rid of the bathtub draining noise, then I can add a foam cover or some craft fabric....
I saw it on your other post :)
yeah i have seen that place on eBay. Good to hear they are for real and not just taking peoples money for a bad product. I keep forgetting that 96x30x30 is a 375. Maybe thats trying to tell me something, I need to go bigger!
I like your new rock and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

SJS

I saw it on your other post :)
yeah i have seen that place on eBay. Good to hear they are for real and not just taking peoples money for a bad product. I keep forgetting that 96x30x30 is a 375. Maybe thats trying to tell me something, I need to go bigger!
I like your new rock and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Oooooooh 375 (need a drool icon) I went as big as I could given the space it has to go - I suppose I could have gone a little longer - but then the canopy wouldn't fit, canopy matches the bar and the cabinet behind the bar and I'd have had to replace those which would have lead to....

tbittner

:lol:

Yeah, I know the feeling. That's the reason I picked a location for my big tank in a room where there isn't anything. So everything gets built around the tank rather then the other way around.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Steph! great story and great tank, I like the clear coast to coast idea will you be keeping it clean or letting it go lol "commando" Steve

Stacef

Hey Steph, how did the scaping go today? Like it yet? It always takes time for a person to love the whole thing!