Starting over....

I'm thinking about switching over to a RO/DI unit to help out with water quality. My question is, when I do that is there any additives I need to add since the water will be so clean?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Weekly water changes ro/di & a good salt will go a to supporting many corals without additives, one day if you have lots sps corals, you may need to supplement calcium and alkalinity. I use EVS 2-part

Ok guys another question for you all. I have this "grass" growing on the bio wheel that goes directly into the tank (pics attached if i can remember how to do it). The question is, is it ok or should I be removing it? I removed it once and it was back in a matter of days. My parameters are great.: Temp 81, Phos 0, Nitrates/Nitrites 0, SG 1.028, pH 8.2, Am 0. I switched to RO about 2 months ago. Ca is still high and I don't know how to lower it...around 450...I do weekly 10% (~5gal) water changes.
IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Hopefully, someone can help me out here.....

I started my 55gal tank a while back and was using tapwater at the time. I have switched to RO water about 6 weeks ago and all my water changes have been using that. However, my calcium level is still high...just tested it at about 430. All my inhabitants are doing well, except my clown fish and orange butterfly died in the last two days (no idea why...they were fine when I left for work and dead when I got home). Anyway, the question is about the calcium....other than completely draining the tank and starting over, is there anything else I can do to lower the calcium to acceptable levels?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Blue Space

as far as the algae goes... try removing the "bio-wheel" part from the tank, scrape as much algae off as possible and soak the part that grows the algae in a hydrogen peroxide bath for 30 min or so, then scrub off the rest. that should kill any algae. note: don't place the bio-wheel "filter" in the bath or you'll kill off all of the nitrifying bacteria. remember that algae is a sign of excess nutrients. cutting back on feeding and water changes are the best way to lower the amount of excess nutrients.

who knows what killed the fish but if your parameters out of whack then the simplest way to get them back in line is to do some aggresive water changes until everything is normal. also, try another brand of test kit to see if the first readings were accurate. i use the hanna checker but i've heard lots of people touting the red sea calcium test as well.

Thanks for the reply. All my water parameters are good...right where they should be...well, Sg is a little high (1.031), but it always has been. I use the API test kits for all my water tests and have never had any issues...but I will see if I can find another brand and see what comes of that....who knows, maybe I got a bad test kit.