Starting over....

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Looks nice dude. Ya lose the nitrate factories. The fluval sucks for flow id run both. Not for the cleaning aspect but for the flow. Keep it up.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

Looks nice dude. Ya lose the nitrate factories. The fluval sucks for flow id run both. Not for the cleaning aspect but for the flow. Keep it up.

What, if anything, would you recommend I put in place of the ceramics?

dmatt88

What, if anything, would you recommend I put in place of the ceramics?

Nothing my good man. Let er flow. N if u keep the sponges in it'll catch the floating poo just gotta promise u will clean them every 3 days. Not twice a week that's too long every 3 days. :p

I didn't know these T5 HO lights ran so hot. They have been on for about 5 hours now and the temp has risen .6 degrees. My plan is to run them on a timer for about 9 - 10 hours. do you think I will run into over heating problems? My current temp is 79.7F

dmatt88

Thanks for serving sailor! :beer:

Gives my response some meaning.

Start ur light cycle short. It will harm nothing. It'll also help with heat. Monitor temps and growth over the next week n see if it necessitates more light.

Thanks for the beer:clink:

Can you tell me what this is? To describe it...it looks like a little green bubble coming out of the rock. I have seen 2 of them in the tank now, but have no idea what it is.

DSCN0304.jpg

And what is this? There are about a dozen of them of various sizes. It is tube-like with a circular center at the top where the "arms" are.

DSCN0305.jpg

Blue Space

In addition to the slight temp increase from the T5s, plz be mindful of using your fire place since it's in such close proximity.

In addition to the slight temp increase from the T5s, plz be mindful of using your fire place since it's in such close proximity.

It's not a real fire place...it's one of those natural gas ones....but I have no intention of running that thing....to me if a fireplace does not burn real wood, it's worthless. But thanks for the heads up.

Blue Space

The green bubble looks like bubble algae... the second pic looks like an aiptasia anemone, both are huge nuisances. Remove them both before they multiply beyond control. Do not pop the bubble algae while removing or it will release spores that allow it to spread. Since you have a new tank I'd recommend removing that piece of rock from the tank and scrape it completely off followed by saltwater rinse before adding back to the tank. For the aiptasia, I have had success feeding it a mysis shrimp so it can't retract. After it pulls the food into its oral disc, use tweezers to gently remove it from the tank. There are quite a few different methods for removing aiptasia but this method doesn't require the purchase of anything I don't normally have on hand.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
The green bubble looks like bubble algae... the second pic looks like an aiptasia anemone, both are huge nuisances. Remove them both before they multiply beyond control. Do not pop the bubble algae while removing or it will release spores that allow it to spread. Since you have a new tank I'd recommend removing that piece of rock from the tank and scrape it completely off followed by saltwater rinse before adding back to the tank. For the aiptasia, I have had success feeding it a mysis shrimp so it can't retract. After it pulls the food into its oral disc, use tweezers to gently remove it from the tank. There are quite a few different methods for removing aiptasia but this method doesn't require the purchase of anything I don't normally have on hand.

oh yeah

Hey guys, thanks for all the help so far. I just installed the eshopps psk-75 and I have tons of micro bubbles in the tank now. The FAQs that came with it said to make sure the black return sponge was at least a half inch above the water. Got that..still bubbles galore! Is this just an issue with the break in of the skimmer?

dmatt88

Most skimmers have a break in period. Let it get a little yucky n see if adjustments need to b made

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
try reducing the amount of air its getting, once it slimes up you can start playing, every time you go in the tank it changes the viscosity of the water so this may take a few days until it's dialed in

Help needed here guys. i just got my ATC refractometer today and after letting it acclimate to the ambient temp in my place, I tried to calibrate it with the calibration liquid supplied. I cannot get it to go to 0. The calibration screw does not turn anymore. Any ideas?