Starting out with a modified Red Sea Max 250! Help and advice required!

funkoid

I've been reef keeping with a very basic nano Rio 125L setup for the last 3 years. Overall its been a success with the setup comprising of around 17kg of live rock, MCE 600 skimmer and 4x24w T5s - no filters, just a decent amount of live rock and a good skimmer. This tank one only cost me £80 initially, but I've spent god knows how much on it upgrading the lights, skimmers etc during the last 3 years. It sprung a tiny leak recently which was patched up but it was basically time to move on.... a good excuse for an upgrade :)

Yesterday I picked up a preowned red sea max 250 it's in pretty good condition for the money I paid for it although I'm yet to check if its waterproof ;-)

The stock skimmer has been replaced with an MCE 500 which suits me as I do like the deltec kit I've previously owned. It's been provided with two pumps the left is the original red sea 2400-2700lph pump and the right an eheim 1000 replacement pump. The large black filter sponge that I understand goes to the left is also with it, but the polisher sponge isn't.

So, where to begin! I have a few specific questions I'd like to ask existing 250L as I understand not many people run these tanks 'stock':-

• The stock left hand pump, is this meant to sit on the floor of the tank? The diagram shows it doing so in the manual but mine floats? A red sea dealer mentioned that both float? Seems like a daft mistake if it's true based on the content of the manual?
  • How much rock do you have in your 250L, I'm reluctant to add any more live rock into my existing 17kg mature due to the risk of nasties, contemplating aquaroche (i think its called!) with some nice shelves for coral and possibly some holes for fish to hide in.
  • Filtration wise, do you still run the black filter sponges and polishing sponge / filter floss? I'm after an idea of what people have in each of their sump sections. I was interested in addition a small phosphate reactor for instance but don't know if there is a better way? I know a number of people run media in media baskets but I just can't stump the cash up for one right now!
  • Would I be okay running without the filter sponge, essentially as I am now with live rock and a skimmer?
  • Would you recommend using filter floss in the "polishing sponge" attachment located toward the left of the tank? If so how often would you suggest changing it?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats on the your new (to you) RSM 250 & Welcome to RS & the RSM Club (as soon as you get 5 post, post us some pics) :)

Here some of my thoughts & what I do...

The stock left hand pump, is this meant to sit on the floor of the tank? No it just hangs (what you are calling floating ;) )

The diagram shows it doing so in the manual but mine floats? A red sea dealer mentioned that both float? Seems like a daft mistake if it's true based on the content of the manual?

How much rock do you have in your 250L, I'm reluctant to add any more live rock into my existing 17kg mature due to the risk of nasties, contemplating aquaroche (i think its called!) with some nice shelves for coral and possibly some holes for fish to hide in.

Most suggest 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon, depending on how porous your rock is this will be somewhere around 65 to 90 pounds - I have around 70 pounds (32 kg)

Filtration wise, do you still run the black filter sponges and polishing sponge / filter floss? I only run the polishing filter

I'm after an idea of what people have in each of their sump sections. I was interested in addition a small phosphate reactor for instance but don't know if there is a better way? I know a number of people run media in media baskets but I just can't stump the cash up for one right now!

Would I be okay running without the filter sponge, essentially as I am now with live rock and a skimmer? Yes

Would you recommend using filter floss in the "polishing sponge" attachment located toward the left of the tank? Yes

If so how often would you suggest changing it? I take mine to the sink & rinse it under running tap water to clean, then shake dry a couple times a week.

Lots of great members in the RSM Club that will try to help you with any questions you have.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome, not much more to add than what Glenn already stated as he provided solid advice! :thumber:

Start a tank thread so we can see some pics.

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
[*]Would you recommend using filter floss in the "polishing sponge" attachment located toward the left of the tank? If so how often would you suggest changing it?
[/LIST]

I found the polishing stuff clogged up wayyyy too quick.
People suggested lifting it an inch, but that seemed to defeat the purpose.
My solution was to just replace the white stuff with that bulk white/blue filter stuff from Petco.
I cut it to size, but not all the way up, in case it clogs, it will just run over.
I've never had it clog though, i can leave it in a week easy.

P1070498_zpsbd76008f.jpg

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
Would you call that filter floss? I've only seen it in white over here.

It's a coarse/fine bonded filter pad, blue on one side, white on the other.
White is fine, blue is coarse, or vise versa.
Anyways, any filter floss would work.

filterpad