Starting my reef journey with a JBJ 28 gal nano cube

bankonit

Hi all.
As a newbie to reef building/keeping and a newbie to forum posting, I thank those of you who responded to my 'get aquainted' thread. Several of you suggested I begin my tank thread.

Hmmm - first of all I had to determine what was meant by a 'thread'!:weird: I cleared that hurdle and read a few initial posts to a few th who have 28 gallon nanos.

I look forward to reading your responses and learning from ya'll (Southerner here).
I purchsed my JBJ Nano Cube and stand from Drs. Foster and Smith. I researched several sites. Their prices and customer service were attractive to me.

On September 4, I set up the tank. One of the managers at Fintastic (LPS) acts as my mentor and advisor, providing advice, agreeing with or disputing the knowledge I gain on my own. Here's a pic of the tank and stand. I decided to do no enhancements to this tank (such as a chiller or skimmer). I did add a powerhead and trashed the plastic Filter Media Basket.
bankonit-albums-initial-set-up-photos-picture23864-initial-setup.html

I added live sand and some great live rock I purchased at Fintastic. I purchase my saltwater from them, using their R/O water to top off.
bankonit-albums-initial-set-up-photos-picture23858-live-sand-live-rock.html

This past weekend I added a few coral frags (Zoas), two Ocallaris and snails to begin my CUC.
bankonit-albums-initial-set-up-photos-picture23859-clownfish-pair-week-three.html

Yesterday I added a Duncan and a frag with green mushrooms. I have a feeling a few of you are going to tell me I am moving way too fast. I'm ready to receive your guidance!

Regarding the Duncan - I'm still researching its preferences regarding light and water flow. Additionally, I purchased a turkey baster and frozen mysis shrimp to feed the duncan and the Ocallaris. Any advice you wish to share?

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Regarding the Duncan - I'm still researching its preferences regarding light and water flow. Additionally, I purchased a turkey baster and frozen mysis shrimp to feed the duncan and the Ocallaris. Any advice you wish to share?

Duncans prefer lower levels of both light and flow. If you feed the Duncan 1 or 2 times a week with the mysis shrimp it will grow very fast. Good Luck with it their one of my favorites

bankonit

Hi PSU,

In my research, I read the 28g nanos don't require skimmers, yet there are those who absolutely advise.
Given that I trashed the provided media basket (and its contents) and use bagged Purigen, SeaGel and Matrix, my LFS advised me I didn't need a skimmer.

Currently, I have three zoa frags, a Duncan and two Ocellaris.

I welcome advice and counsel. So far, everyone who responded is kind and very helpful.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Zoas look pretty.

If you plan to heavily stock the tank i would say you should look into a skimmer. I have the same tank (LED version) and i went with the Tunze 9002 (still have it).

If someone tells you you need a skimmer they are wrong. If someone tells you you don't need a skimmer, they are wrong too :) Both options have good and bad pieces to it but from my experience, you don't need one in that tank unless you get to heavy stocking. I changed out 5g a week and my skimmer didn't work much.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
for a tank that size, to stock much further either coral or fish, you're either going to have to do 15-20% water changes per week, or look into a small skimmer.

bankonit

Hi fellow RS members. I continue to chronicle my saltwater tank journey.
This week, I added a caulastrea (candy cane) and a ORA bird of paradise. Additionally, I added a few emerald crabs to better round out my CUC. To create additional water movement, I added a second powerhead, since I noted an unfortunate crop of hair algae. If you have any advice regarding how to combat the hair algae, I welcome your comments. I will add pics later.

Latest water results:
ph 8.2, Alhalinity 8.6dkh, CA 450ppm, Mg 1400ppm, Nitrate 5ppm, Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0.
I addressed the high issues (and a low salinity issue) by conducting a 5 gal water change.
If you all think I am not acting responsibly, I welcome your kind and gentle coaching!

bankonit

Hi fellow members. It has been a while since I last posted. The nano cube journey is one filled with dangers, isn't it?!
I maintain good water conditions, yet it seems I lose fish (three bangaii cardinals, a cleaner shrimp, fire goby and a six line wrasse). All this this happened over the course of many months and not all of these fish were in the tank at the same time. Some were 'replacement fish' who met their maker nevertheless.

My last two fish are acting a bit strangely. They are clownfish who were the original pair I introduced after the tank cycled. Now, one of the two hides in the rocks and is not interested in eating. Beforehand, they were gregarious, energetic and friendly. Now, they are nearly invisible.

To that extent, I broke down and bought a protein skimmer - an Aqua C Remora hang on unit. Today, I attached it and hope it will soon pull the muck out of the water. My corals are splendid and grow well. Any thoughts?

Anyone worked with Aqua Cs? Anyone used them on Nano Cubes? I value your thoughts.

Newsetupphotoneedyclownfish.jpg

Additionally, the LFS suggested there may be some odd toxins in the water, though I buy my salt water from them. I added a Chemi Pure bag. Perhaps the aquarium will become more efficient?

yungreefer2410

That is a good HOB skimmer you went with there, it should work well on your tank. As for the fish dying, I'm not sure. Maybe if you posted your water parems? And the fact that the coral is growing while the fish are dying is even more confusing.

Cyclist

You are trying to fit too much life in a small space. You are going to need to start performing greater water changes to. Your tank has less than 20 gallons of water in it .

I also have the feeling that your tank did not run a full cycle.

Actually i am sure that your tank did not cycle at all. Getting live stock to survive will be a frustrating and expensive with the same results.

yungreefer2410

You are trying to fit too much life in a small space. You are going to need to start performing greater water changes to. Your tank has less than 20 gallons of water in it .
From what I understand, the OP only has two clownfish in it. Which is fine. The amount of coral doesn't really matter, unless they are aggressive coral that can sting other coral with their tentacles. Then you just have to watch their placement. I think the OP is doing weekly or every other week water changes, which is okay. 5g a w/c is plenty. Also the tank should have at least 23 or so gallons or more in it.

I also have the feeling that your tank did not run a full cycle.

Actually i am sure that your tank did not cycle at all. Getting live stock to survive will be a frustrating and expensive with the same results.
I think the tank has cycled, the OP has coral that are doing just fine in it and from the OP's last water parem post the only thing out of wack was nitrate.

You should probably stop adding fish until the tank is more stable or you figure out why they are dying. JMO

Cyclist

Solid water prams don't indicate a tank has cycled as i know it. I can set up a tank add live stock same day and do weekly water changes with freah salt water from the ocean. If i were to pull prams, i should have good water prams.

Can the orginal poster let us know how they cycled their tank?

Looks to me like they set up their tank sept 4 and added live stock within a week?

bankonit

Celebrating nearly a year of saltwater
Good afternoon fellow aquarists,

I am amazed that nearly a year has passed since I began the saltwater hobby (lifestyle is a better descriptor, isn't it). Since then, I faced and conquered almost all of the newbie hurdles - acclimation impatience (and consequences), aptasia invasion, livestock loss, nearly every form of algae and several outbreaks of cyano (still a bit by my Duncan), spikes and drops in salinity/specific gravity and I survived.
Now, I have an aquarium that makes me happy. It seems I have thriving coral and several happy fish.
Here are a few photos to share. Thanks to all who offer advice and counsel. I still have so much to learn and I really want a larger system. Considering a Red Sea Max 250 - hoping to find a used system in the Charlotte, NC area that has been well tended by a fellow aquarist who is ready to sell. Let me know if you all have advice about larger systems.

Photo_08_18_2013_2_zps6de3e599.jpg

Photo_08_18_2013_zps22c10901.jpg
[/URL]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Happy almost Tank-a-VersarY! & :bday1: Happy Birthday to your tank :D time does seem to fly when you are having FUN. :D
I can tell you, I L:heart:VE my RSM 250. It's not too BIG or too small. I think it's a good choice & I hope you find one. A good bargain price would be awesome too...that way you can do some UPGRADES :yup: this hobby isn't cheap! Good thing is: We never have to wonder what to spend our $$$$$ on. :D LOL!

bankonit

Thanks DianaKey - I appreciated your words of encouragement. Currently, I'm trying to determine if I can afford a larger tank and all of the responsibilities that go with it.

Since my last post, my hair algae problem 'grew' again. Hoping my turbos get going again. I'm supplementing their feeding with seaweed. They appreciate it - I don't provide it often but enough to keep them from starving.

You expressed it SOOOO correctly when you mentioned where we spend our dollars!

bankonit

Hi Diana,

I just read your postings and it was so helpful to review your journey. In some instances, we had similar issues and challenges, albeit comparing a nano cube to the great Red Sea Max 250. Since my last posting, I chose to exit my job and search for something more aligned with my personal values and need for more balance of work and family.
To that extent, I am delaying a purchase of a larger tank.
My thanks to everyone in this forum who actively shares her or his experience and counsel. You all are so helpful and kind. I continue to learn from you all and enjoy this site, along with the various forums.
Blessings!