HELP! Starting a nano reef in my 8 gallon cube

Flaka26

Grass shrimp are very easy to catch. Just get a dip net or a very large aquarium net and find a grass flat. Run the net down at the bottom of the grass and walk forward with the net. Bring it up and you will have them plus a lot of other cool things like seahorses and pipefish. You just have to find a grass flat. I dont know if there are a lot of them in Miami but I bet there are some

Oh that sounds like fun. Hmm I wonder where I can find a grass flat in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. Sounds like a breeze to find on the west coast area but around here may be hard, maybe on the intercoastal..? I wonder if I can google it LOL.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Once the tank cycles... and you add anything alive, cuc (clean up crew), corals, fish
you want to start your water changes, weekly 10-15% , but in an 8 gallon tank, with a fish, you might up that to 25% or 2 gallons - or even a bit more... see what others think :java:

Flaka26

Once the tank cycles... and you add anything alive, cuc (clean up crew), corals, fish
you want to start your water changes, weekly 10-15% , but in an 8 gallon tank, with a fish, you might up that to 25% or 2 gallons - or even a bit more... see what others think :java:

Hmm so in this case that this tank is a redo when or how would I know the cycle is complete? :duh: lol

Do the 8 hermit crabs that are in there with the caulerpa count? lol

sirrealism

As I said before i do 3g per week just because its so easy. If your buying water I would get 5g at a time then I would do half 1 week then the other half the next week so 2.5g changes. I would think your tank is pretty close to cycled if your testing and it shows all good but still wait a few weeks before putting anything else in. Better safe then sorry. And yes the hermits count LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 ^

when you start cycling... here is ideally what you want to see

start testing & watch for the ammonia to raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrates will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate

Tank Cycled - add cuc, 1st coral, 1st fish :dance:

Flaka26

As I said before i do 3g per week just because its so easy. If your buying water I would get 5g at a time then I would do half 1 week then the other half the next week so 2.5g changes. I would think your tank is pretty close to cycled if your testing and it shows all good but still wait a few weeks before putting anything else in. Better safe then sorry. And yes the hermits count LOL

Yea I have the 5 gallon containers so I'd do 2.5 gallons per water change so I don't have to go every week to buy water. I think I may want to mix my own water to save myself trips to the LFS but I'm scared to mess up somehow lol. Is it something simple and hard to mess up?

Pat24601

Yea I have the 5 gallon containers so I'd do 2.5 gallons per water change so I don't have to go every week to buy water. I think I may want to mix my own water to save myself trips to the LFS but I'm scared to mess up somehow lol. Is it something simple and hard to mess up?

Simple and hard to mess up, but mildly tedious to make sure you have correct SG etc. in my opinion. Whether or not it's worth it depends on your pocketbook.

Flaka26

+1 ^

start testing & watch for the ammonia to raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrates will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

:roflmao:Thank you for that! I knew that the levels should be 0 for all of these but I didn't know in what order they happened :duh: lol. Yay! cant wait to get home to test it and see where it is in the process now that I understand :dance:

Flaka26

+1 ^

Ok so I just tested the water and the instructions say to read the test tube against the white area of the color chart; I feel silly asking but does the tube need to be held against/touching flat on the white area or just in front of the card but not touching? I'm having a hard time reading the PH, ammonia and nitrate because the colors look different if I hold against the card or I front of it.

newo11

Ok so I just tested the water and the instructions say to read the test tube against the white area of the color chart; I feel silly asking but does the tube need to be held against/touching flat on the white area or just in front of the card but not touching? I'm having a hard time reading the PH, ammonia and nitrate because the colors look different if I hold against the card or I front of it.

There are no silly questions.

What test kit are you using? I am going to assume it's an API kit. Once you get your tank cycled and you no longer are testing ammonia, nitrite or even PH, you will likely want to invest in a good test kit. Red Sea makes excellent kits and they are much easier to read.

To help answer your question - usually in front is easiest. But if you are testing ammonia and nitrite and you get any color that does not look like zero - this means your tank is not cycled yet. You will know when you have nitrates - there's a big change in color lol.

Once your cycle is complete, and if you plan on keeping a reef tank, you will want to monitor your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium levels as well as your phosphates and nitrates. A lot of people use the Hannah checkers for phosphates or nitrates.

Test kits are expensive and about the least exciting purchase you will make, but they are worth it

Right now everything is new, but after a couple of tests, you will be able to judge better the change in the colors and how they line up to the API color bars. And don't panic over test results. (Which is easier said than done at the beginning!).

Post your results up here including pics of the test results if you want - you will get some good advice and help that way.

Flaka26

What test kit are you using? I am going to assume it's an API kit. Once you get your tank cycled and you no longer are testing ammonia, nitrite or even PH, you will likely want to invest in a good test kit. Red Sea makes excellent kits and they are much easier to read.

To help answer your question - usually in front is easiest. But if you are testing ammonia and nitrite and you get any color that does not look like zero - this means your tank is not cycled yet. You will know when you have nitrates - there's a big change in color lol.

Once your cycle is complete, and if you plan on keeping a reef tank, you will want to monitor your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium levels as well as your phosphates and nitrates. A lot of people use the Hannah checkers for phosphates or nitrates.

Test kits are expensive and about the least exciting purchase you will make, but they are worth it

Right now everything is new, but after a couple of tests, you will be able to judge better the change in the colors and how they line up to the API color bars. And don't panic over test results. (Which is easier said than done at the beginning!).

Post your results up here including pics of the test results if you want - you will get some good advice and help that way.

Thank you :). I am using the API kit that you assumed. I have seen quite a few digital tests online while searching that seem pretty cool since you aren't trying to match up colors lol they are just on the pricier end so yea I agree it isn't the most exciting purchase lol.

The ammonia looks like it could be 0 and the nitrate looks like it could be 5 or 10ppm and the PH 7.8 or 8.0. I took picks and will post them

Flaka26

Flaka26

Looks great. You have plenty of rock. If you go "No fish" you could get away with WC every 2 weeks but to be honest with as small as the tank is I would do them every week anyway. As for removing the bio ball its a good idea. What to put in that section is up to you. Most run a bag of carbon and GFO or some other nutrient remover. I did it a little different then most. I made my middle chamber into a algae scrubber because my tank is always over stocked. In the past I have kept dwarf octopus in this tank which was fun but the tank really was to small. Another time I had 3 large seahorses in it that were missing the end of there tail. My wholesaler ended up with them and would not sell them. They lived for about a year. "I have kept and breed seahorses before"
One of the issues you will run into is temp swings. Make sure both of the fans in the hood are working. One thing I did was to take one fan out and turn it around. This brought fresh air in and then pushed it out. If one fan is not working you will see a 4-7degree change during the day. This is part of the reason that most of the new nano tanks are now rimless or open top. The down side to having an open top is evaporation but you dont have the temp swings.
As far as a fish I would make a suggest getting a clown goby. What ever you get do research and make sure it stays small.
Soft corals are a great idea for this tank. Things like GSP, xenias, leathers and zoas will do well in this tank.
If you find that your temp swings alot you can convert one bulb or both to LEDs which would fix it. At the moment I have removed my hood and am using an AI nano LED light but there are LEDs that will fit in the hood with some effort. I think that covers all your questions but if you have more please ask. Happy to help. I have had my 8g running straight for 8 years and I bought it used. I dont have a tank that grows more coralline algae. I have 6 different colors. which is great yet a pain as I have to scrape it every week or it will cover the glass.

Hi there! I have a question for you. I'm getting a bag of chemipure elite today and will be doing a water change also today. Now my question is: I still have bioballs in there and a bag of something lol I cant remember what it is. Could be carbon, could be anything really lol. So should I remove this mystery bag and all the bioballs and put in the new chemipure elite bag or should I only remove some bioballs? I will be doing approximately 2.5-3 gallon water change. I put a few coral frags in there but I have a small amount of phosphates in the tank which I hope the chemipure and water change will help. Am I on the right track? Any other suggestions are welcome. I don't want to make a mistake now that I have those coral frags in there. I have a mushroom, xenia and 2 different button polyps (I think that's what they are called) I also have 2 tiny clownfish that my son just had to have lol.

Flaka26

Sounds like you have the right idea. I would only take out half of the balls on this WC and then the rest on the next WC. Also take out the mystery bag. What ever it is I am pretty sure its spent.

Great, thank you! I was thinking to just take all of them out but figured let me ask before I mess it all up lol. I will definitely toss the mystery bag too.