Started ricordia fragging

flricordia

Just an update on thier growth.
Moved to an add-on growout tank plumbed to main tank. I noticed growth is much better when they touch each other. May have to do with competing for the space. Taken under T5 marine-Glo.

8473ricordiafrags3-med.jpg

flricordia

Well, Mike has been eyeing this thread but we've been shopping quite alot and we have those others coming...

BUT I believe I'll PM you for your address if we manage to get back down there in the spring to visit my sister and Mickey again, if you don't mind the visitors...

Not at all. Be glad to have you.

DrHank

Mike, what about rics next to zoas. I swear that one of mine has trippled it's size right next to my pink panthers. Of course the pink panthers are growing like weeds too.

flricordia

Mike, what about rics next to zoas. I swear that one of mine has trippled it's size right next to my pink panthers. Of course the pink panthers are growing like weeds too.
Only problem I have seen is with yumas touching some zoanthids. Usually the yumas will try to keep away or the zoanthids will stay closed up. If a long-term battle ensues the yuma usually looses out and will eventually wither away.
Floridas don't seem to have any problems, though some zoanthids have problems, at least at first when placed next to florida, though they will usually get used to them and open up.
The florida may compete for space next to a zoanthid colony, but my guess is that your system is doing well and the corals are just putting on good growth whether they were next to each other or not.
Both ricordia florida and yuma do well when touching each other in the closed reef and even wild collected, difficult yumas can be coaxed to acclimate when placed next to and touching florida.
I would rather acclimate them next to a florida rather than an established yuma, as I have seen wild melting yumas influence acclimated yumas to begin melting, whereas florida are virtually indistructable, providing the system is within tolerable conditions.
But what do I know. I'm still hung-over from entering into the New Year.:stars: