Star fish problem

MDRomine

I have a orange or red starfish that was on the glass still until I touched it. It his open sore. Its kinda toward the middle and is about the size of a pea. It appears to be a form of fungus or it is just deteriorating. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to help the poor little guy?

sirrealism

Welcome to RS. If you could post a pic that might help. How long have you had the starfish. Sounds like it might be deteriorating. Do you know what kind of star it is. Is it a hard or soft one? Pics would really help but the biggest prob most of the time is lack of proper food and with out knowing what type its hard to say but if you have some krill or small pieces of fish it might help

MDRomine

I can't seem to figure out how to post the photo or video. I will continue to try.
Thank you

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

MDRomine

Sadly my starfish didn't make it he just kinda deteriorated. Sirrealism thank you for your help. Thank you for the warm Welcome by members of Reef Sanctuary.

sirrealism

Sorry for your loss. Starfish are much harder to keep then most know. Very few have had one more then 1 year and most only make it a month or so. The linkia type starfish has to be the worst and most do just what your did. They starve and then just deteriorate. It does seem that the harder bodied ones do better but thats JMO

alfaman

I think the sand sifting ones do well as they eat from the sand bed but the others just die.... It's a very cruel hobby sometimes isn't it.

DaveK

I think the sand sifting ones do well as they eat from the sand bed but the others just die.... It's a very cruel hobby sometimes isn't it.

Sand sifting stars are often a poor choice. Unless you have a really big tank, they will eat all the stuff in the substrata, and then slowly starve to death. On top of they they bury themselves, so you hardly see them.

sirrealism

Agreed Sand sifting stars need to be feed if your tank is not 75g or bigger. I didnt want to say this, Well for a couple reasons, I have a starfish and have had it for several year. I only wish I could tell everyone what kind it is as I do not know. Never seen one. Truth is never really looked. Got him at a reef show as it was closing as a bonus and thought oh he very cool looking and I am a pretty heavy feeder so ok. I need to take a pic of him and post it so maybe someone can ID him. He is reef safe and though I thought he would be a carnivore like a lot are. He is an omnivore or veg starfish. Not sue. He is hard kind of like a chocolate chip but thin. he has multi colors on him. Let me look online and see. Because Its one I would be more apt to suggest
Though I have not found a name yet it looks like this so I believe it one of the many Fromia species. Mine does have more colors but body shape and ECT is like this
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+2133&pcatid=2133
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+580&pcatid=580
So if someone really wants a starfish IMO this is the species to have. Then again what do I know and maybe I am just lucky with the one i have.

sirrealism

I dont feed it as I should. he gets scraps of what ever I feed and he also eats algae. I have a little bit of hair algae growing up by the top and he goes up there a lot to eat it

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor
Agreed Sand sifting stars need to be feed if your tank is not 75g or bigger. I didnt want to say this, Well for a couple reasons, I have a starfish and have had it for several year. I only wish I could tell everyone what kind it is as I do not know. Never seen one. Truth is never really looked. Got him at a reef show as it was closing as a bonus and thought oh he very cool looking and I am a pretty heavy feeder so ok. I need to take a pic of him and post it so maybe someone can ID him. He is reef safe and though I thought he would be a carnivore like a lot are. He is an omnivore or veg starfish. Not sue. He is hard kind of like a chocolate chip but thin. he has multi colors on him. Let me look online and see. Because Its one I would be more apt to suggest
Though I have not found a name yet it looks like this so I believe it one of the many Fromia species. Mine does have more colors but body shape and ECT is like this
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+2133&pcatid=2133
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+528+580&pcatid=580
So if someone really wants a starfish IMO this is the species to have. Then again what do I know and maybe I am just lucky with the one i have.

Very cool and interesting. Maybe you are just lucky. I don't know if I would risk having a star.

aldwin

i have in my tank a small starfish that i dont know what kind..

its been in my tank since a stared it last year dec 2013..

and also a brittle star ...

i didnt feed it but it is still alive..

it came with the LR i gathered from the sea..

it roam around,in the floor, the sides .particularly those with brown and green algae places..

Last edited: