Sps corals dying

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Instant ocean works for me, and it grows all of my corals, be they softies or acros, like weeds.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Normal Instant Ocean. Reef Crystals has varying amounts of calcium and alkalinity per batch, making dosing a nightmare. Plus, its Ca and Alk levels are usually rather high...

mtk

Your params seem fine too me. In my system I run alk at 7.5 cal 420 mag 1350. I found when I lost a sps it was because either my alk dropped below to 6 or a quick change in one of my lvl's. Sps's is all about stability. Make sure the salt you use has the parameters you want. Sucks wanting a alk lvl of 9 and using salt that has it at 7.5. You get my point. A few months back I remember there being bad carbon or gfo out on the market. I know it crushed a few lfs here. Any chance you have some from then. I am sure someone on here can remembers that. It was all over the forums.

mtk

The carbon I was talking about is from Kent. Something about the carbon not being pure from the location they were getting it form.

Acanman

Hey thanks for asking :). I did whatever changes i could make such as switching out cpe bags, 30% water change, switched my salt mix to something more basic. Water parameters still consistent with ca at 420, alk 9, mag 1600. Nitrates, phosphate zero. Im hoping mag will go down with the simplified salt mix.

I had to frag up one of my acros to prevent further necrosis. I thought the fire has been put out.....until about a half hour ago and i noticed another acro's base completely dead---mars red planet :(. Maybe its some sort of parasite? I do have some aplasia or whateer lurking around the tank. Maybe that could be it? I dont know man if this spreads And kills off my tank piece by piece i dont think i will ever be able to get over it. Hobby over ;(

Sailagain

Man that sucks. You have an amazing looking tank too. I am just starting out so I am looking to learn all I can.

Can you take the infected pieces out and dip them in some kind of parasite treatment?

Acanman

Anything infected im trying to break off and trash. Hopefully it will solvethe issue since i cant find any other causes

Acanman

31362EEC-8BC1-4B16-BE20-6DB9020DED46-14874-000007423F663F3D.jpg

7929DBA2-7CAC-4FD0-95B5-375542F5F06E-14874-000007425C72DF04.jpg

Its happening again. Stil cant figure out why acro is bleaching at the base. It then spreads. All water parameters normal. I need a marine biologist or something

Choff

That sucks man, you have some gorgeous corals. :(

Do you by chance use a bio pellet reactor?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Wow! I hope you find a solution. That acro is absolutely beautiful I wouldn't know why it would be bleaching at the base like that.. Pure white.. Ouch.

Don't fret my friend I'm sure it will work out :) keep asking, reading, and hoping I guess :p

Acanman

Thanks guys. No reactors. Im contemplating switching to a bigger system with more elaborate filtration. Im thinking i created a monster with all the coral ive stuffed into this system. Maybe they need something bigger like 180-220 gal with stronger lighting, skimmer, reactors, sump etc etc....?

Try doubling the water change frequency or % to help beat down the nutrients? Should help along with your simplified salt mix

Acanman

Thanks i will do that. I can go from 5 to 10 gal change once per week. I changed to the simplified salt mix couple months ago. Do you suspect im over feeding the tank with food or calc/alk? My mag has been around 1500 for couple months. I cant get it to go down.

If you look at how water changes actually reduce concentrations (by diluting them basically) it does take awhile to cover some ground no matter the nutrient or ion in question.. But I'm sure with your reg wc schedule and the upped volume will help the mag atleast.. But for the acro and such.. I'm a total newb so do take my advice with a grain of salt( no pun intended lol) best of luck my friend.. I absolutely love your corals

bjasontoups

I did a major 50% water change a month ago and did some major cleaning. Added my saltwater to the tank and three days later all SPS died. Added scoop or two of salt to raise my salinity in my ro/do salt water then added to tank and did not let it mix for a few hours and I think I burned my Monticello cap, covering of worm rock and birds nest. Tested water perametrs and all within normal limits except salinity 1.033. Day later back to 1.026. Just added today some test birds nest to make sure everything is ok.

Really had some good growth on all SPS. Good luck finding solution. Tagging along