Sps corals dying

Acanman

Hey friends I need a doctor please help me. About a month ago one of my larger staghorns showed bleaching/death at the base. So I thought I would chop it into a couple frags. Problem solved I thought. A week ago I noticed the same thing happening to another sps. This time a more rare, slower growing piece. Now Im concerned. I never lose sps corals. And in the last 6-8 months I havnt lost any corals. A closer look in the tank and i see the bases of 4 or 5 of my sps corals exhibiting similiar symptoms. I also saw one of my ultra scolys dying off as well. I dont know whats happening but its happening somewhat rapidly over the course of few weeks.

Background:
Bulbs are 3 months old.
10% water change every week
ATO
Autodose 2 part
2 MP10s
Lights on 9 hours per day. Feed tank every other day.
Tank is 2.5 years old.

All water parameters great EXCEPT elevated Mg (1600). Its been high for going on 6 weeks. I cant get it to go down.

3AAA2747-55DD-4AB8-8C4B-DABC6F5C93B2-3032-000001B497972EE0.jpg

3B2FA1D8-90C4-42A6-A26D-314F64D10D13-3032-000001B4A2566840.jpg

17829E39-9DB2-4B17-A57D-F8F60EDC0AA8-3032-000001B4C869AB22.jpg

Please please I need help.

carlfike

Id do a big water change with instant ocean. Not something with added junk and start running some carbon.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Acanman

I have a bag of purigen, 2 bags of CPE. Both about 3 months old. Would u change them out just to be safe? I think i would agree. Worth a try. How big a water change u thinking?

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'd lower the magnesium with a large water change of just normal instant ocean. Or, up your dosage on alkalinity, leaving calcium alone. The coral should use more of the magnesium to get things in balance.

dmatt88

40% wc won't upset anything any worse. Do u run a topless tank? That helped my alk.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

Funlad3

The calcium and alkalinity are definitely low. Try and bring the alkalinity to at least ten, and the Ca to at least 440. That should help the magnesium fall, hopefully to 1350 or so. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a quote from Randy Holmes Farley & a really great :read: by Anthony Calfo

Alkalinity maintenance is a critical aspect of coral reef aquarium husbandry

CalcAlkMar

dmatt88

Good read Glenn. Always helpful to have a refresher.

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would change out the carbon and the CPE...3 months is a little long.

Water changes should also help get things on order......assuming you Mag isn't 1600 on the WC.

reeferman

your calcium and alkalinity are perfect,not low at all.mag is a little high,it should be roughly 3x what calcium is.water changes and change out the carbon and cpe as Bryan said and change it once a month no matter how long the package says it lasts.cpe contains gfo,once gfo is saturated with phosphates,it will leach them back into the water.
take a maxijet or turkey baster and baste the acros to see if anything blows off.it looks like the affects of acro eating flatworms.it could also be spikes in alkalinity.try to keep the params very stable as thats the key to successful acro keeping.again,leave the calc and alk alone,its perfect.there is absolutely no reason to have elevated levels.in this case,more is not better.keep your params as close to natural sea water as you can.

Acanman

Im thinking of changing salt mixes. I currently use RedSea coral pro. Any suggestions? I was thinking of plain Instant Ocean. None of the reef mixes cuz I dose cal and alk. But then what if im depriving my reef of the other extra junk (other elements).