Spikewire's RSM 130D

Spikewire

Well I've finally gone and done it. I've posted a tank thread :) Nothing spectacular to start out with. I do wish that I had taken more photos from the beginning. I love watching other people's tank progression.

The first photo is from my tank at three months old.
RedSeaMax_fulltank.jpg

The rest are my tank at a little over 5 months old. I apologize for the quality as they are all taken with my Blackberry Tour. Not a bad little camera for a phone though :)

Full Tank Shot
IMG00002-20091202-1347.jpg

Some Zoas
IMG00001-20091202-1335.jpg

My green duster, a Favia brain, and a War Coral (favite meteor shower I believe)
IMG00003-20091202-1347.jpg

A nice Brain and some Acan frags.
IMG00004-20091202-1348.jpg

Some SPS. The Pink Birdsnest was my first SPS and has really thrived. The rest of the SPS frags were gifts from some kind folks. So far under stock lighting they have all done very well. Probably not as well as under MH lighting but still very well.
IMG00005-20091202-1348.jpg

A blasto, purple chalice, two Meteor Shower Cyphastrea, and a Montipora Digitas. All doing great but the two meteor showers are doing better than I ever hoped for.
IMG00006-20091202-1348.jpg

A torch, duncan, and red chilli. The duncan has grown from one head but the Chilli has been a tough one.
IMG00008-20091202-1349.jpg

A hammer and acan
IMG00009-20091202-1349.jpg

My ricordia garden
IMG00010-20091202-1350.jpg

So far this adventure has been nothing short of phenomenal for me. My wife and five year old little girl are thrilled as well :) I couldn't be happier with the RSM and couldn't be happier to find this little forum/family. Everyone here is just great and I couldn't think of a better place to hang.

Thanks folks!

Now I just need to get a nice camera and keep snapping pics :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Chris - you have a beautiful rsm tank - good work ! Love the open brain, colorful zoas & the rics ! :) Whole tank really looking clean & pretty !

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nice one Chris. Your tank is looking fantastic. Especially love your ric garden.

Spikewire

The case of the disappearing fish -

So about three weeks back I lost my first fish. Ziggy the Royal gramma was a great fish and the second fish I had added to my tank.

Sunday I took my daughter to a LSF and low and behold they had a beautiful Royal Gramma and, with the encouragement of my little girl, we took him home. After the acclimation we released him into his new home and he promptly scooted to a safe place in the rocks. He stayed there for the night, checking out the scene, but he did poke his head out at feeding time and gobbled up a few pieces of mysis shrimp.

I've not seen him since. Short of pulling my rockwork apart I checked the entire tank, the back chambers, and just about everywhere he could possibly be. He's just *gone*. He's a beautiful fish and I really hope he's ok and just a phenomenal hider but I'm not sure where he could possibly be at this point.

Anyone ever have any experiences like this?

poor little fella...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I have some good hiders too - a little green clown goby that I rarely see, but when I think he's gone for good he shows up. Hopefully the new gramma will show up soon. Some fish are really good at avoiding detection and hiding in the rocks. Have you tried a bright flashlight to look into the nooks & crannies in the rocks for a sign of the gramma's bright colors?

Spikewire

Yes I've been at the tank off and on with a flash light and just can't find him. I'm not sure there can be too many other cracks and crevices for him to get to that I haven't been checking...

Dweezil

I hope he shows up Chris. Your rock looks like it has many spots a little fish could hide should he be so inclined to do so.

Spikewire

Well I'm sad to say I found the remains of our royal gramma last night. a hermit crab and our fire shrimp (Scampi) were having a snack on him. Can't say exactly why he didn't make. Tank and parameters are great and all of our other fish and critters are happy and healthy. :(

Oh and thanks for the nice comments everyone. Gave me a smile today.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear that Chris. I remember the first one I bought - it was near death by the time I got home 15 minutes later from the lfs. I took it back and got a replacement and it was dead a day later. That one I didn't take back. A week later I was at the lfs and found that their whole large tank of royal grammas (probably 30-40) had mysteriously died. I have a feeling they were cyanide caught. Anyway, this stuff happens so don't blame yourself.

Spikewire

Thanks Terry and no worries. I've just been feeling bad for the poor little guy. I'llbe keeping an eye out for another little Royal Gramma. One of my favorite fish :)