Spanish RSM 400

legazya

Hello everyone, after some time since the beginning, my new RSM 400 is cycling. It's been sometimes hard due to delays in the purchasing and delivery process, included an inner small leak in the sump, detected with the help of Kev and fixed by the local distributors. Now it is running for two weeks and i am still being accustomed to the working of the skimmer and ATO. It's my first marine tank, although i have had fresh water tanks for 15 years.
I must confess that the tank was mounted and placed by the people of the store, it looked really beautiful,
legazya-albums-beggining-picture23279-instalaci-n-inicial-002-tres.jpg

After the process of filling, mixing salt and adding substrate and living rock, i got surprised with the clearness of the glass.
legazya-albums-beggining-picture23280-verano-2012-001-tres.jpg

legazya-albums-beggining-picture23281-verano-2012-004-tres.jpg

This the first rock scaping, and has only the little life that came with the rock (and without the little crab that was hard to get rid off),
legazya-albums-beggining-picture23282-verano-2012-007tres.jpg

but continue fighting with the control of the lights timer and trying that the skimmer works properly.
legazya-albums-beggining-picture23283-verano-2012-010-trs.jpg

Choff

Congrats!

That white really does look sharp. I bet every small water stain doesn't show up on it like my black one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Choff

Oh and fighting with the lights and Skimmer is part of the price of admission....and for me it was also the screws when assembling the frame.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

legazya

Thanks all of you by your comments and interest. The scaping is not finished. There is around 30 kg of rock and something more can be needed. As you can see, the two islands of rock, specially the right side one are rather tall and it helps with the flow of the main return pump and the moving of the sand. The lighting problem is solved with an independent small mechanical timer for the moonlight. Skimmer... running and making more noise than desirable. Other problem now is temperature, I live in the south of Spain, and although this summer is until this moment not very hot, the aquarium is around 29-30º Celsius (84-86º Farenheit), and I don't know if a chiller will be worthy, given now it`s mostly cycling.

jeffrey

Congrats on the purchase of your 400, I'm sure you will love it. Don't get excited if the skimmer doesn't work right off, it takes a good month to break in. Enjoy!

legazya

Not so hot, but very thirsty, as the ATO is refilling constantly... I know that a chiller will be needed, but adding more noise is not a good option now.

legazya

And thanks again for your comments. After a walk in the beach, with the help of my seven years old son and his small net, here is my first guest:

legazya-albums-beggining-picture23417-img-0005-dos.jpg
[/IMG]

phf

Just discovered your thread. Welcome to the S-club and congrats for your beautiful scape !
How many kgs of LR do you have now ? Is the skimmer's pump still noisy ? (mine is very noisy)

legazya

Hello phf, appreciate your kind comments. There are now about 40 kgs of live rock and I think it's enough, as nowdays the trend line is for less rock and more free space for fishes and invertebrates, and seems that aquarium filtration is moving to the biopellet reducing of nitrates and phosphates. And, yes, the skimmer's pump is really noisy. Affortunately my wife doesn't complaint about it.

legazya

After six months working, this begins to look as I hoped when started. Present population in the tank is as follows:
Corals:
- Zoanthus
- Ricordea
- Seriatopora caliendrum
- Euphyllia ancora
- Montipora digitata
- Favites sp. roja
- Scleronephthya sp.
- Seriatopora caliendrum
- Euphyllia yaeyamensis
- Turbinaria reniformis
- Montipora sp. laminar
Other Invertebrates:
- Lysmata wurdenmani
- Lysmata amboinensis
- Lysmata debellius
- Archaster typicus.
- Fromia millepora.
- Heteractis malu
- Neopetrolisthes ohshimai
Fishes:
- Amphiprion ocellaris, 5 ej
- Paracanthurus hepatus
- Pictichromis paccagnellae,
- Zebrasoma flavescens
- Synchiropus splendidus
- Pseudanthias bartlettorum 5 ej.

Some pics:

legazya-albums-six-months-picture24192-fin-invierno-2012-022-2.jpg
[/IMG]

legazya-albums-six-months-picture24189-009-3.jpg
[/IMG]

legazya-albums-six-months-picture24190-010-2.jpg
[/IMG]

legazya-albums-six-months-picture24191-019-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Tokalosh

Looking good man, I just wish you would have waited a little longer before introducing a Mandarin.
I don't think you tank is quite ready for one.

Tok

legazya

Thanks by your commentaries. Yes, I know it's a bit early for the synchiropus, but I couldn't avoid it. After one month in the tank it seems quite well and is really beautiful. We will see. By the way, I was considering to add one or two more fishes. What do you think about one Acanthurus pyroferus "half black", and/or one Centropyge loriculus?