Spaghetti Worms

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
How BIG do these things get?
I have one area of my sand bed that they cover the surface off with their long snake looking tentacles and I've seen small ones on the glass before. This evening this one was on the glass...it was at least 2.5 inches long. I have no idea why he is crawling on the glass either. Any idea why he does that?
They kinda creep me out :grind: I'd rather they stayed buried in the sand.
Here's the big one on the glass:
null_zps0c8a101a.jpg
[/IMG]

Mike Johnson

Well, that's not normal at all. I've never seen one crawl out in the open. There's something amiss. I wonder if it is in an epitoke stage?

As far as how big they get I have one that reaches at least 16".

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well, that worm left a slimy looking image of itself on the glass . Kinda acted like it was trying to turn itself inside out. Maybe it shed it's skin. :dunno: Really clueless & I don't like having SO MANY of them thinking that they can get so LARGE. Eeeeewwww, it what I'm thinking too. :look:

Mike Johnson

There is one area in my tank where there never is any nuisance algae and the sand is always sparkling clean and that's where the large spaghetti worm is. Really, it really is that good.

Diana, have you looked up what an Epitoke is? It is the only thing I can think of as to why it's come out from under it's rock.

One thing that really interests me about the spaghetti worm is why do the fish and critters not eat it? Especially the critters that are known to be worm eaters.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
There is one area in my tank where there never is any nuisance algae and the sand is always sparkling clean and that's where the large spaghetti worm is. Really, it really is that good.

Diana, have you looked up what an Epitoke is? It is the only thing I can think of as to why it's come out from under it's rock.

One thing that really interests me about the spaghetti worm is why do the fish and critters not eat it? Especially the critters that are known to be worm eaters.

I have wondered about WHY there is no mention of fish ever eating them. There are certainly small enough ones in my tank for the fish to eat. The part of the worm that extends above the sand level are seemingly ignored by everything I have in my tank so far. And as many of them as I seem to have, they've reproduced some way or other. And they seem to stay on the left side of my tank. Kinda strange that they haven't spread out.
I'm not as much into studying these worms this week as I am Mandarins.
I've talked myself into & out of this fish so many times, it's about to make me crazy. :grind:

Mike Johnson

Okay. I'll tell you all I know about Mandarins: They are jumpers; and, will find a tiny hole! They'll will decimate what you think is a healthy pod population in a few weeks; so, unless you raise live copepods or train them to eat frozen, they will starve in about six months. Even if trained to eat frozen, you have to target feed them at a minimum of a couple times a day, which is laborious. They are on the list of easier to breed and raise fry list; if there is such a list. It's best not to have other fish that eat pods with them, like angels.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Okay. I'll tell you all I know about Mandarins: They are jumpers; and, will find a tiny hole! They'll will decimate what you think is a healthy pod population in a few weeks; so, unless you raise live copepods or train them to eat frozen, they will starve in about six months. Even if trained to eat frozen, you have to target feed them at a minimum of a couple times a day, which is laborious. They are on the list of easier to breed and raise fry list; if there is such a list. It's best not to have other fish that eat pods with them, like angels.

Well I certainly did not know they were JUMPERS. But my tank does have a tight cover. I am adding a refugium (maybe as soon as next month). I do have a dwarf cherub angel (one), a Midas Blenny, a pair of clowns, and a Royal gramma = 5 fish total in a 9 month old 66gal. RSM tank. I have 2 red skunk cleaner shrimps too.
I wish I could get over wanting one....UUGGHHH! I won't add one until my tank is a year old, maybe by then I'll be over wanting to have one of the #%+€£¥+%# things! :cursin: