Soooo....what are you guys using for cameras?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I do the same... and I have playing around with different combos of these screwed into one another...

have also used them on my zoom 55-250mm - one example

IMG_0436scooter.jpg

sambrinar

I'm getting frustrated with my zooms... but I think I'm just sitting too close. I need to mess with it more.

Great shots guys

Rhodes19

I'm using an old Nikon E990 circa 2000. One built in lens, no additional lens attachment. Boy do I feel out gunned.

nikon.jpg

Thanks !

with my zoom 55-250mm - I have to get way back, like 10 to 15 feet or so... if that helps any

Nano... You can change that you just need to get a macro tube extension. It locks on to the body and then you lock the lens to the end of that. They are a little pricey about $150 - $300 depending upon the magnification, but they do have auto-focusing as well so your shots will end up crystal clear. Here is the set up that I shot my own personal tank with a bit ago.

This setup: Canon T1i - 10x AF Macro Tube (on table) - Canon f/2.8 L 70-200mm USM - 8gig (Class 6) Card - Bendable cheap tripod

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

Pictures taken with this set up... Notice the colors with L-series glass
IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

These were shot from about 5 feet away. Using a cheap bendable tripod mounted to the back of my kitchen chair, which you can see in the picture.

I just posted part 1 of the photography post on my blog.....Check it out!

JulesVane

OMG! It's finally dawned on me! It's not my tank that's depressing me right now...it's my camera! LMFAO! Great pics. everyone, and great reefkeeping!

sambrinar

Wake that is a Ginormous lens!! My 55-200mm isn't that huge.. Great shots tho.. and yea I noticed I had to sit pretty far back.. still gotta mess with it.. not enough hours in the day

HA! I have non of this! I have a canon power shot S3 IS. I just figured out it has a "Super Marco" mode! Yeet! Still no where near these shots though

sambrinar

HA! I have non of this! I have a canon power shot S3 IS. I just figured out it has a "Super Marco" mode! Yeet! Still no where near these shots though

I have that same exact camera as well.. yep you will not get those shots... that's why I got a new camera for Christmas...there is however an attachment maginifer lens for that camera tho... I never perchased it, so not sure how well the picts will be with that

I have that same exact camera as well.. yep you will not get those shots... that's why I got a new camera for Christmas...there is however an attachment maginifer lens for that camera tho... I never perchased it, so not sure how well the picts will be with that

The reason that your shots won't look like that is, because (and it gets pretty technical), but the simple and uncomplicated answer is. A point-n-shoot is not a DSLR. A DSLR camera gets great shots, because it has a completely different sensor in it. in the Canons they use what is called a CMOS sensor, basically it is what transfers the image you see to the Digital Memory card. Short story long... The p-N-s doesn't have as sensitive a sensor, nor does it have the Single Lens Reflex.....IE (Mirror) that you see when you take the lens of a DSLR off. This mirror is what gives the camera such a good picture, along with the sensor to record it of course. You could buy a 15 MP p-N-s and a 15 MP DSLR and the DSLR is going to win the photo contest hands down everytime, due to picture clarity and quality.

Wake that is a Ginormous lens!! My 55-200mm isn't that huge.. Great shots tho.. and yea I noticed I had to sit pretty far back.. still gotta mess with it.. not enough hours in the day

It is a Gynormous lens... It also cost a Gynormous price, lol! Nah, I borrowed it from a good buddy of mine. He happens to be our wedding photographer and that is what he does for a living....so it helps! But, that lens costs about $2,000. It is all in perspective though. $2,000 doesn't really seem like much when you consider just the body alone of his camera is almost $8,000!

Canon Mark IID = 37 MP and a price tag between $6,000 and $8,000 Just for the body!

TeamTeal

i have a 550d /t2i and very new to photography, i was wondering if it is wise to dive into it and spend the money on those macro lens. right now i am using the kit lens that came with it.

Rhodes19

The reason that your shots won't look like that is, because (and it gets pretty technical), but the simple and uncomplicated answer is. A point-n-shoot is not a DSLR. A DSLR camera gets great shots, because it has a completely different sensor in it. in the Canons they use what is called a CMOS sensor, basically it is what transfers the image you see to the Digital Memory card. Short story long... The p-N-s doesn't have as sensitive a sensor, nor does it have the Single Lens Reflex.....IE (Mirror) that you see when you take the lens of a DSLR off. This mirror is what gives the camera such a good picture, along with the sensor to record it of course. You could buy a 15 MP p-N-s and a 15 MP DSLR and the DSLR is going to win the photo contest hands down everytime, due to picture clarity and quality.

It is a Gynormous lens... It also cost a Gynormous price, lol! Nah, I borrowed it from a good buddy of mine. He happens to be our wedding photographer and that is what he does for a living....so it helps! But, that lens costs about $2,000. It is all in perspective though. $2,000 doesn't really seem like much when you consider just the body alone of his camera is almost $8,000!

Canon Mark IID = 37 MP and a price tag between $6,000 and $8,000 Just for the body!

Wakeskater,

Thanks for the explanation on the differences between the cameras. That was easy to understand and makes a lot of sense. :thumbup:

BLAKEJOHN

Your correct in that the sensors are different and one will be better than the other. Also same with the lenses. The more glass and the higher quality glass will give more clear and better color. But. The mirror has nothing to do with anything. Thw mirror locks up and out of the way during exposure. The mirror is only to reflect the light coming into the lens up into the prism and into the eyepiece so you can see through the lens. You can remove the mirror and the camera will funtion norally but you will not see what you are shooting.

Thanks for the info. Im not a big camera person, but would love to take some shot like these one day.

Your correct in that the sensors are different and one will be better than the other. Also same with the lenses. The more glass and the higher quality glass will give more clear and better color. But. The mirror has nothing to do with anything. Thw mirror locks up and out of the way during exposure. The mirror is only to reflect the light coming into the lens up into the prism and into the eyepiece so you can see through the lens. You can remove the mirror and the camera will funtion norally but you will not see what you are shooting.

Correct. That iss my mistake. As for the chip sensor it is considerably larger, up to 25% larger in DSLRs v. p-N-s's. This allows DSLRs to capture all the color and variation that corals have to offer. (esspecially rainbow Acans....lol. You also, have much more control over your photos with a DSLR, they also work much better in low light conditions. But you say "well, I have super bright lights on my tank? Yes, however, most of us have a deep blue hue, just like a low light situation, so your camera see's low light. You also have the ability to adjust the ISO (Film Speed) the camera shoots at. Most p-N-s you do too, but not to the same degree. You have the ability to change lenses, the ability to make the photo how you want it to appear rather than the camera making the decisions for you. Etc...

DSLRs are the way to go for reef photos, and now for the money they are getting every bit cheaper and more affordable. People always ask me how I take these photos and what I use. Then I tell them and half of them don't believe me. It doesn't take a ton of money to get great photos.

If it were me and I had to but a camera with a smaller budget, I would get one of the cheaper Canon DSLRs and just buy a better lens. Most people who photograph a bunch will tell you, your shot is made at the lens. You could have a Canon XS, one of the bottom beginner DSLRs Canon makes, with a nice lens and the picture will look like you took it with a much more expensive setup.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
for value & quality both... check this out

Canon Rebel XSi DSLR with EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens & 55-250mm IS Lens

You can find this package a few places - imo - great value on a DSLR - two nice lense