Something's wrong!

Stacef

My best advice, do not do anything without asking,

Whether it's drastic or small, no adding ANYTHING, chem's/fish/etc.

No changing anything... sit it out for a few days, and then get back with us, that's the only thing I can come up with right now..

plecosword

lighting:
1 65w PC, 2x15w. NO Actinics yet, all 10k

The xenia is doing better, but its little polyps are gone.

0102.jpg

Yellow polyps are terrible! when I first got them, they opened 15 minutes later.

009-1.jpg

This was the zoanthids after the water change.

004.jpg

This is after.

0142.jpg

I dont know if these are doing good, but they finally began to spread out.

0132.jpg

These look pretty bad, their color is fading.

0112.jpg

plecosword

How are the mobile inverts doing? Are the snails and crabs moving about? If it was a sudden shock of some kind then they would be affected as well. I'm just trying to grasp at straws since your problem is such a stumper.

They are doing ok. I caught my blue hermit switching shells on video!! and the stomatella snails are spawning like crazy, or more like having their period all over since the male didn't come out this time. I noticed they do it right after i turn on the maxi jet.

Stace, Im going to wait on that chromis.

010-1.jpg

Stacef

Very cool on the Stoma spawning! and the hermit switching on video Mario!!

I wish I knew what was wrong to help ya..

plecosword

Thanks, the tank is young I guess, been up for a almost a year but I moved it to another spot a few months ago. October I think.

CATALYST

Your sg can be a little lower so that as your water evaporates, its not getting too high. Where are you getting your water? How much flow does your tank have? Is it agitating the surface of the water? Maybe you're not getting enough oxygen.

Cavinca

-Stray Voltage? This usually effect inverts first though...
-Anything leaking? heaters etc...
-Lights shifting on color spectrum?
-U mixing your water well ahead of actually changing your water? As not to burn the corals?
-PH swing?

Just throwin out ideas...

plecosword

Your sg can be a little lower so that as your water evaporates, its not getting too high. Where are you getting your water? How much flow does your tank have? Is it agitating the surface of the water? Maybe you're not getting enough oxygen.

RO/DI filter- TDS 3,
1 maxi jet, 160 GPH, powerfilter 200gph

-Stray Voltage? This usually effect inverts first though...
-Anything leaking? heaters etc...
-Lights shifting on color spectrum?
-U mixing your water well ahead of actually changing your water? As not to burn the corals?
-PH swing?

Just throwin out ideas...

no stray voltage, leaking heaters? lol I dont think so, I have the marineland stealth, its been heating fine.
mixing the water? I do not mix the salt in the tank, i do it in a bucket and wait for the water to become clear. I also heat it up a bit because I can only place it directly in the display.

Lamps are pretty new, the oldest is one of the T-8, no more than 4 months old.
Ph is been really stable now.

Could it be im not running any actinics? It burnt out.

Jeremy0322

Its been a while since I have talked to/seen you around plecosword! Im sorry to hear about the troubles, stick with it though man and it will all work out. And how long have you been waiting after mixing the salt. I know that should atleast wait a day or two for the salt to fully dissolve in the water.

Cavinca

RO/DI filter- TDS 3,
1 maxi jet, 160 GPH, powerfilter 200gph

no stray voltage, leaking heaters? lol I dont think so, I have the marineland stealth, its been heating fine.
mixing the water? I do not mix the salt in the tank, i do it in a bucket and wait for the water to become clear. I also heat it up a bit because I can only place it directly in the display.

Lamps are pretty new, the oldest is one of the T-8, no more than 4 months old.
Ph is been really stable now.

Could it be im not running any actinics? It burnt out.

Hah lol... I had a heater burst in my freshwater tank and it leaked some non pretty metals into my tank a couple years ago...

have you check your ph before your lights come on and after they go off?

plecosword

Its been a while since I have talked to/seen you around plecosword! Im sorry to hear about the troubles, stick with it though man and it will all work out. And how long have you been waiting after mixing the salt. I know that should atleast wait a day or two for the salt to fully dissolve in the water.

Hey jeremy, nice to see you, I have been following your thread, haven't replied though lol.
I wait 20 min?

Hah lol... I had a heater burst in my freshwater tank and it leaked some non pretty metals into my tank a couple years ago...

have you check your ph before your lights come on and after they go off?

lol everyone has had a glass heater break, it gets annoying! I didnt leave it in there so long though so I dont think any metals leaked. I got shocked! lol im gona die form a heart attack, I have been shocked soo many times, none form fish though.

Cavinca

20 minutes isnt really that long of a time. You should wait atleast a day before adding mixed water to a tank. the longer the better...

Stacef

Mario, let your salt sit mixing for at least a day, mine always sits for 2 if not 3 just for safe measures!! 20 minutes is not giving the salt enough time to completely dissolve, you may be "burning" your corals.

Fish can't take that kind of jump in salinity either, simply put.. It 'burns' their gills when breathing in not dissolved salt from what I understand.

SO! Next time you do a WC, plan it ahead, and let the salt mix for a few days.

I always have the powerhead at the bottom mixing it, pointing at the top, and cover it, I have curious cats!

plecosword

I had no idea you had to wait that long. I will do that form now on. remember that the tank has been running without changes for over a week and the corals were closed.

BTW, I moved my large molly into my 10g. She has been doing great, I have had her in there for 2 weeks, I will remove her soon. She has a crazy mutated fin now because of disease.