Something is eating my shrimp

Susan987

I am new to Reef Chronicles, but have had a reef tank for about a year. I recently upgraded from 50 gal to 90 gal with sump. I bought live rock at LFS, and since then, I have lost all of my shrimp except my pistol. I have seen something red and white that looks like the leg of a brittle star, but cannot find anything online. Any suggestions? Any idea how to get rid of it?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Susan! :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to posting at Reef Sanctuary!

Sorry you are losing your shrimp :(
I suggest if you think you have a predator that you should set a trap baited with a deli-shrimp. There are easy to make bottle traps or perhaps you could put a deli shrimp into a mesh bag & anchor it with a rock in an open stop on your sand bed & do a night watch to see if your culprit comes out to eat it.
The bottle trap idea worries me that a fish could get trapped in WITH a predator so I would probably set up late one night & watch for it.
BEST WISHES, Hope you catch the culprit quick :biker

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Brittle stars are not normally predatory, they dont move that fast. They are detrivors. However if your Live Rock was Cycled in a large tank, which the LFS stocks from Aquaculture sites, Its entirely possible you obtained a nasty hichiker known as a Mantis shrimp. These are very predatory, and will go after shrimp, snails, sleeping fish, clams, and anything else they can kill.

Mike Johnson

If it's crab that's too big to go in a bottle trap a jar or glass with bait in the bottom will work. Sneak up on your tank after dark with a red flashlight to try and find out what you're dealing with.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
+1^ Using the bait on the bottom be sure to anchor it to a rock so it can't be taken back into your rockscape.
A deli-shrimp tied in a cutoff piece of nylon pantyhose will be easy to secure to a rock with string. Your Predator won't be able to resist the smell of the shrimp :yummy:

Choff

Don't rule out the pistol. I have lost many shrimp over the past 6 months and it's either my pistol or my 1 remaining blood red. I have added 4 or 5 large skunk cleaners (in addition to the 4 in started with) and they are gone within a few weeks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jpsika08

Agree with Mike it could be the Pistol to blame.
Or, a Mantis Shrimp which is worst news.
As above stated, place a trap try catching "it", if you manage to do so, share with a pic :)

Susan987

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I will try setting up a trap and keep my pistol shrimp well fed, so not to have to kill for food.

Dking271

I'll place my bet on the Pistol shrimp. I know some people can get them to live together, but Pistol shrimp are a natural predator of cleaner shrimp. I know mine took out a Fire shrimp five times it's size when it was less than an inch big.