Something is Eating At My Clam

bluespotjawfish

This has been going on for a week or so now. I am suspecting my Palani Tang, but any other ideas? I haven't ever seen him pick at my clam, but I got some new zoos a few weeks ago and he (or something) ate some of them. This started about the same time, and I notice more marks each day.

Attachments

• P1050943-clam-sm.JPG
    P1050943-clam-sm.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 80

blue_eyes53813

Are you sure it is being picked at? There is an actual clam disease that makes the edges fold , but for the life of me cant remember what it is called.. Let me do some searching..

dobejazz

Pinched Mantle is what Blue eyes is going for I think - I'll try to get Whiskey to take a peek for ya

bluespotjawfish

Sixline Wrasse, Pyle Wrasse, Anthias, Midas Blenny, Yellow Tang (new), Mandarin, Blue/Green Chromis, percula clowns.

Other possible suspects:
Crabs
Cleaner Shrimp (don't usually see them around this part of the tank)
Midas Blenny (recently started hanging out in a hole near the clam)

It closes more often than it used to. I picked it up yesterday to check it over and didn't notice anything unusual (but I could have missed something). It is well attached to it's small rock, responsive to light/dark.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Lorraine, I am having a hard time seeing the problem. the clam seems ok in the picture. Could you get a close up of the area you are concerned with?

Whiskey

Just some guy, you know?
I would suspect the Midas blenny over all of the fish you listed.

The tang I would suspect a distant second.

It definitally doesn't look like pinched mantle to me,.. I think either something is picking at it (like you suspect) or it's being stung by LPS.

Whiskey

bluespotjawfish

Sorry, that is the closeup. Let's try this. There are about 7-8 lines in a slightly curved shape together that spread about 1/2 inch across. Since it is this large across I am still thinking the Palani; however, the blenny is the most agressive little bugger in there. The problem started before the yellow tang was added.

Attachments

• P1050943-clam.JPG
    P1050943-clam.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 62
Actually, I have heard of various worms that hide under rock during the day that like to nible at things like clams during the night. I have plenty of worms under my reef, but no clam damage thus far. Only something I have heard.

bluespotjawfish

Another thought that occurred to me....think, think, think...you know the parallel lines on the glass that snails leave behind...kinda looks like that too.

I don't know that a crab would be as precise in his line making.

As far as I can tell, whatever is doing this isn't taking an entire bite out of it, just scraping at it.

goldenmean

Could you have Pyramidellid Snails?
I know they are active during the night but you might be able to see them during lights on on the shell or in the sand under the clam.
I don't have a clam but I remember reading about these snails. as clam predators. I don't know what type of damage they do.

Frankie

RS STAFF
The reason i thought a crab was the lines remind me of lines an emerald crab makes on the rocks when scraping off algae. I can be way off though. It just looks like that to me from my experience with one.

bluespotjawfish

I don't have emeralds, but I do have several other crabs.

I picked it up tonight and looked it over. There was a small amount of sponge on the shell that I scrubbed off. I'm sure it isn't the sponge doing this though. Whatever is bothering it is getting to it from the front and sides, the back edges aren't affected at all.

I do have small snails in the tank (baby astrea and margaritas I think - I see eggs all the time).

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I don't think the clam would stay open and let something pick at it. This looks like a hit and run kind of injury.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think you should do a plaster casting of it and send it into the Doc for a proper tooth ID! :D

mps9506

I don't think the clam would stay open and let something pick at it. This looks like a hit and run kind of injury.

I kinda agree with Scott. If something was trying to constantly eat it, the clam would be closed up. I think your clam was a victim of a drive by mis identified grazing attack. Maybe the tang, maybe another fish, maybe some f the clean up crew. I would suspect the tang, as they go around nibbling on anything that looks wavy to see if it's edible it seems like. Even the occasional zebrasoma or acanthurid tang goes haywire and starts eating corals... But my thought are this is a one time thing, if not the clam will not open up all the way and you know you have a fish with a problem :)

Just my thoughts...