Some help with HK style bulkheads please.

Thanks and thanks again for all your advice Josh.

I'll take some plumbing pics after I install the waterproof blue LED light (that I had laying around from my previous tank) underneath. I think that'll make it easier seeing stuff when I'm working under there. ;)

BTW that skimmer is a Skimz SM201. It seems really nice (better than the crappy in tank one I had on my previous tank at least).

I have plumbed to allow a reactor off the return pump too, but I'll install that in a month or so when I actually need it.

Decided to re-plumb my return so it runs more along the back thus allowing me to push the skimmer slightly back (giving me a tad more room at the front). Might do it tonight.

Last edited:
Here's some pics. I changed the way the return comes in and added a light so I can see what I'm doing and honestly it looks cool (got the idea off my computer case ;) ).
EO5cAaL.jpg

For want of a better support system, I'm currently using a "chain" made from zip ties attached to cup hooks.
3XXYNYl.jpg

The "famous" HK style bulkheads. Note the generous use of silicone.
hz64WSG.jpg

Blurry, but you get the idea
c6T8v2e.jpg

LOL the motion blur, it was about 12am at this stage (was changing the pipes an hour or so)
sBvOLqk.jpg

cracker

You could also check out a marine supply store And ask for " thru hole" fittings. They have larger flanges.

StirCrayzy

I'm glad you mentioned computer case, I have a crapload of those 12v light tubes I could use for extra light.
I like the creative zip ties, but kinda takes away from the nice looking plumbing you did.
We have plastic pipe hangers around here that could serve similar purpose but look better.

Yeh I got a rubber mat thing yesterday that I'll be wrapping around my pump to reduce vibrations etc. Also looking into something better looking to support the pipes. Thinking I'll use a bit of rubber mat around the pipes to reduce vibrations too.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks for the words of advice.

I'm looking into alternatives, though I guess the holes will be cut for these fittings. I'm going to duck over to a local hardware/plumbing supply store nearby my work to see if they have anything resembling a proper bulkhead. If I can buy some to try out I might just do it, otherwise I will probably be stuck with these fittings.

I'm thinking this is the "Hong Kong style" of doing these things. Sometimes Asia is like that, they don't do things the "right" way but somehow it still works.

I'm thinking if I'm forced to use these, I'll add some silicone and/or teflon tape to prevent the water flowing along the threads, causing a leak. Not ideal, but if I do it right it shouldn't leak. I mean apparently the fish tank shop does it this way all the time and they don't get leaks, so I'm hoping for the best.

I'll update these threads again in a few weeks when the tank is delivered and I have a chance to have a good look at them.

UPDATE:
I went to the local shop and they didn't have a clue about bulkheads... I'll keep searching but assuming I can't find an alternative:

Since this sort of connection (unlike a standard bulkhead) doesn't have a nut side (and a flange side) instead it seems to have two flange sides (male and female) that will pull towards each other when tightened. Is there any reason why I couldn't put a gasket on both sides of the aquarium glass so that the fixture will seal on both sides?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking this design pulls evenly both ways so the gaskets on both sides will seal, stopping the water flowing out either from the tank or through the threads.

As suggested by this having two rubber gaskets:
zvPZPWr.jpg
Pretty funny that bulk heads are not found there yet are made there and shipped here. ...

Frankie

RS STAFF
Btw, I like your sump setup!
The zip ties work perfectly and the blue like looks cool.
I have something similar in lighting on my sump