solved ma particle problem

fellers

IN my rsm250 I had bad particles floating in the column. Couldnt figure out why. filter floss etc. nothing really worked. Well after I did my change to sand I never cleaned out my back chambers. In fact I never leaned them in 14 months!!! oops. Well needless to say in the 600gph pump chamber was an inch of sludge the pump was circulating throughout the tank. Did a big water change and thoroughly cleaned the entire tank. Now it is crystal clear after 2 days. Doesn't even look like thier is water in there. so just thought I would share.

dizzyg

Fellers, I have the same problem but my tank is only 4 months old. My back chambers are spotless so its obviously not the same problem :(
My problem is my Goby who flicks the particles into the display every time he digs!
Someone said try putting a heavier substrate on top of the existing so Ill give that a go this payday!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Jason good post - one tip - a good time to clean the back chambers - is when you add new chemical media (CPE or carbon & GFO or whatever you run)

When you clean out the back chamber... it really causes a lot of stuff to stir up - I know a couple of members that got red slime/cyano after cleaning the back chamber & the key to prevent this... was new chemical media to help absorb the release of the nutrients the cleaning releases.

tnwillia

+1 on the Goby, I've also watched my Lawnmower Blenny do the same and kick up a big cloud. Glad you solved it!

fellers

Jason good post - one tip - a good time to clean the back chambers - is when you add new chemical media (CPE or carbon & GFO or whatever you run)

When you clean out the back chamber... it really causes a lot of stuff to stir up - I know a couple of members that got red slime/cyano after cleaning the back chamber & the key to prevent this... was new chemical media to help absorb the release of the nutrients the cleaning releases.

Yes that is definitely a good tip. I changed the media a week previously in hopes to eliminate the particles. But in my tank I cleaned the chamber and completely drained it without any water escaping the chamber. I removed my water change out of the DT. Then cleaned the chamber dry.
Jesus, don't even say "cyano" to me! I battled that shat for months and it was absolutely out of control. I redid the whole tank because of it. It was aweful and ruined my tank for a while. I then bought a RO/DI unit, changed crush coral to live sand, cleaned all my LR, and did 2 50% water changes with the RO/DI water at a week interval. I'll post a pic later when the lights kick on at 10:50
. I am quite proud of my tank finally. I think I am finally catching on "to keeping water" rather than livestock... Perfect water equals healthy happy livestock,Hooah

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I am quite proud of my tank finally. I think I am finally catching on "to keeping water" rather than livestock... Perfect water equals healthy happy livestock,Hooah

1055.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Another reason I got away from Chemi-Pure Elite was the fine GFO dust that escapes. Even with a super fine screen in my media reactor in the sump, over time I had a layer of brown GFO dust on the bottom of the sump using the CPE. Since switching to a SeaGel and Purigen blend I don't get that anymore.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's it Fellers. I think it's just as good as CPE, and gives a lot better flow through it and less messy. Used with Purigen it has all the benefits of CPE in my opinion, but better.

yycguy

Another reason I got away from Chemi-Pure Elite was the fine GFO dust that escapes. Even with a super fine screen in my media reactor in the sump, over time I had a layer of brown GFO dust on the bottom of the sump using the CPE. Since switching to a SeaGel and Purigen blend I don't get that anymore.

Hey Terry do you mean to say that you mix the Purigen and the SeaGel together ?? same bag?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hey Terry do you mean to say that you mix the Purigen and the SeaGel together ?? same bag?

I do mix the 3, but I have mine in a media reactor down in my sump (no bag needed). Based on what Eddie has found it's best to keep the Purigen in it's own bag - mixing the 3 together makes a mixture that cuts the flow too much in a media rack.