So what does everyone do for a living?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Candace. Ill gladly care for your goods. Ill even keep it for ya. Naw probably not. However box it up my dear.

.........yep. I'm a reefer.

phantom2991

i would really like it if someone could care for my fish until i get there and send em back but i know that would be a lot to ask for. im just attached to my babies. :(

redneckgearhead

Plus I have read somewhere that all fish in aquariums have to be native to the islands. But I have also read that you can collect your own fish in certain areas, with a permit?

reeferman

i am a general contractor/craftsman specialized in historical restorations and carpentry.i used to build log homes but the luxury home market has dried up.

Brady92

O and if anyone was wanting to go into aerospace ground equipment I would recommend against it it kinda sucks

I Love Living In Japan

kweckstrom

I'm an IT Infrastructure engineer working for a consultancy that services various large companies, including Verizon in Basking Ridge, NJ, Novartis based in Switzerland, several others. I'm essentially the guy who designs large virtualization and application hosting (aka "Cloud") infrastructures and sets everything in motion. I report to the CTO of the company, though I also lead a team of engineers at one of the Novartis offices in Florham Park. I tend to wear a lot of hats as I have a lot of experience thanks to 15 years at Citi and another 6 years doing Capital Markets for a canadian bank.

It's a pretty stressful job (though nowhere near as stressful as capital markets) and requires a fair amount of travel both stateside and in Europe. In all honesty I never would have gotten back into this hobby if my wife didn't love it too - it's too much for just me with travelling and everything.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
It's true, it is a no no to ship non native species to hawaii. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it is a no no. Do a little snorkeling and you'll see tons of local fish that you'll love to add to your tank.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
If I'm not mistaken, all you need to collect in Hawaii is a simple fishing permit and a net. Fun. To send stuff back stateside is a little bit more complex. :)

Singlefin

You can get a permit to collect 5 items a day. I think a gallon of sand an a couple lbs of rock w no life on it. They bring in all sorts of fish. Fish don't have to be native, but no live coral. Zoas and palys are ok. What part of hawaii are you moving to?

Part of me is salty...,

reefermagic

I install audio/video and all sorts of technology in schools; cctv, projectors, voice enhancement, sound masking, and......

FishinBob

I'm a kayak fishing/nature guide and offshore fishing mate full-time in south florida, and a finish carpenter and aquarium stand builder in the offseason or when ever there is a chance to make some extra money!! Can't beat having my jobs and hobbies combined!!

StirCrayzy

Im a fab guy / shop foreman/ NC programmer 75% of my week, the rest is dedicated to baby wrangling, with any break in between spent working on Cars or Fish Tanks, or surfin RS.
Oh, and i can hog tie a 6 yo in record time! ;)

I make custom / concept / prototype, car / plane / anything , even old restorations.

Mostly i hand shape foam seat models, sometimes steel, plastic, alum framework to fit them.

My current claim to fame is hand making Jay Leno's one -off Vette seats.
Jay Leno's Chevrolet Corvette C6RS: 600 horses on E85 - Auto News - Motor Trend - Mobile