Smart Phones :D

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Who has them and what do you have?

I've been a blackberry baby for several years now but these new android phones are off the chart, so finally I cut the BB umbilical cord and went and got a Samsung Galaxy Vibrant and this thing is sweet, noting I can't do on this phone and all the apps are free which is a plus. My better half and I were up for renewed contract so we got the phones for $100ea vs the sticker price that is insane :( and no phone is worth $400.00+

Anyways what you got?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm tried and true a "CrackBerry". Partly because they work great for the business world and partly because I have 32 mobile lines I have to "support" and I don't want to learn anything new LOL!

I'm currently running (for a week tomorrow now) a Bold 9650 and it ROCKS!!

I'm jealous of the ANDROID OS but I just don't wish to support multiple platforms across 32 phone lines.

BigJay

I'm on verizon too and almost got sucked into going ATT till I saw the HTC droid incredible. I just bought it about 3 weeks ago and absolutely love it. It has only one downside and thats its battery life. The stock battery will only last about 8 hours with moderate use. The iphone batter is slightly better but at least with the droids you can opt for a larger battery. Plus verizon has the unlimited internet plan which means i do just about everything through the phone now. Plus the droids have google and all google apps.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My BOLD battery lasts about 24-36 hours with HEAVY use. When in my office there's limited cell signal so it cuts it down to 12-18hrs but that's still good.

Mischko

Switched from Blackberry Storm to Nokia E72 for the only reason having my own Domino Server along with Lotus Traveler. Geek talk now eh?
Was thinking about an iPhone since the Lotus Traveler looks really cool on it, but after reading about Apple using iPhones to spy for WLAN hotspots, transmitting GPS data and other stuff where I don't need Big Brother watching me, no way! Don't get it wrong, due to my profession I have a lot to do with iPhones, Blackberry's and so on. I like the design, usability and so on, but Apple's policies are sure 1984 and that is a no go for me.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Switched from Blackberry Storm to Nokia E72 for the only reason having my own Domino Server along with Lotus Traveler. Geek talk now eh?
Was thinking about an iPhone since the Lotus Traveler looks really cool on it, but after reading about Apple using iPhones to spy for WLAN hotspots, transmitting GPS data and other stuff where I don't need Big Brother watching me, no way! Don't get it wrong, due to my profession I have a lot to do with iPhones, Blackberry's and so on. I like the design, usability and so on, but Apple's policies are sure 1984 and that is a no go for me.

Huh? LOL! Just kidding. You know now we're all wanting to know more about what you do.

So do you support all those platforms for work?

DITTO to Apple's "Open Ended" user agreement. I wouldn't be surprised if all manufacturers are "covertly" harvesting similar data for "Big Brother".

Mischko

LOL I am not working for telephone/communication companies. I am a Lotus Notes/Domino administrator, was also a developer for it.
But we have/install/support systems which use iPhones/Blackberry/Smartphones to connect to databases, calendering, emails and so on.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A company I used to work for relied upon Lotus Notes for their e-needs but since then I've not used it (about 9 years) but the Admin is a good friend of mine and they are still with it and LOVE it! He travels all over the globe and says it's the best solution for their needs.

Mischko

LOL I am a Lotus Notes/Domino administrator. I plan, set up, configure and maintain systems using iPhone, Blackberry and Smartphones connecting to Domino servers using calendaring, collaboration, databases and email in real time e. g. Blackberry Enterprise servers or Lotus Notes Traveler.

tnwillia

HTC Touch Pro 2. I need solid statewide coverage so Verizon was only way to go in my area. Work requires me to keep Win Mobile, sure wish Droid would get the Apps I need.

BigJay

HTC Touch Pro 2. I need solid statewide coverage so Verizon was only way to go in my area. Work requires me to keep Win Mobile, sure wish Droid would get the Apps I need.

since droids are being manufacturered by so many companies it seems apps are being developed at a much faster rate then the iphone. Last I checked it was about a 2.5:1 ratio of iphone to droid apps currently available considering the timeline on the phones on the market thats pretty amazing. However since several companies are talking about releasing a non-apple iphone I'm not sure what will happen 6 months down the line.

tnwillia

Your right they are. I need a droid App for Office Communicator and Droid has shown no interest going there, only thing stopping me from going to Droid. We'll see, 6 months is a lifetime in Smart phone Technology. Thanks!

Edison

I bought a Nexus One phone this past February and love it. It ingergrates and syncs with MS Office and g mail seamlessly. GPS, great camera, Flash support, voice texting, email and search, the ability to create custom ROMs (operating systems) the open source nature and App Developer (a visual development enviroment) and just a few reasons I think this phone is the best out there. Oh, i forgot to mention the phone came unlocked so it can be used with any carrier, has a user-replaceable battery and flash memory card, has the ability to install and run apps from the memory card and the ability to turn off GPS when you want to so you can't be tracked that way.
There are many more great features and apps available but I'll mention just one more:the phone multi-tasks well; i can run several apps at one time with no noticeable performance hit.

The Android platform is growing by leaps and bounds-last I heard sales have increased 800% in the past year. In fact, it's outselling the Iphone and developers are leaving the Apple platform in droves to code for Android due to the open nature of the OS and the fact is supports Flash.

I was a RIM user for 5 years and was looking for something with a bigger screen and faster processor and the Nexus One fit the bill.

MS just released a new phone OS and there are at least a half-dozen phones coming out soon that will use it. The MS offering looks good on paper and Steve B. gave a great speech about it several months ago, it might take off given the time of year and all but right now there are very few apps for it and no free ones. Apps are what keeps smartphones viable and if more devs don't start making applications, the Win 7 Phone OS (and phones) will soon be history.

Good review/opinion here and better one here