Skimmer

bowkry

Hi I am new to this forum been reefing for a lot of years now, had all sorts of setups 7', 6', 5', bio cubes, now I am running a rsm 250. Great tank love it so far, but what is up with the skimmer, either I get no skimm or the damn thing over flows, I have had the tank running since the 4 of aug, and have had to empty the cup every day of pretty clear skimm. Is there any tricks to this skimmer. I am running all sps with some low lps so my skimmer is very important.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome bowkry to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! I'll have to let the 250 owners give advice on the skimmer.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

The RSM 250 is one Gorgeous tank !

Sure some of the clubs 250 owners can offer some advise...

Start a tank thread & post us some pics - we Love pics !

imaccat

Hi Bowkry and welcome to RS,

What bioload do you have in the tank, is there much for it to skim? I've found that the air valve it so sensitive that even the smallest of movements can change it from no skim to overflowing, I seem to have been able to master adjusting it correctly, but it took me awhile. The other thing that seems to make a difference is the water level in the rear chambers, initially I was running it too high, now I have the water level with the 2nd marker from the top of the window on the left hand side.

tnwillia

Welcome to RS bowkry!

IMHO the best thing you can do is start looking for a better skimmer sooner than later. There are a few members here who have been able to keep the stock skimmer working but most have gone onto others. Couple of options for intank are the ER nano 250 skimmer and the Deltec 500. If you run a sump there are lots of ways to go. I use the SWC 160 Extreme Cone and love it. Others will jump in to help you out. Good luck!

Bathtub

I found a big improvement on the 130 skimmer when I swapped the adjustment valve for just a decent airline one....
Then ditched the skimmer and swapped for a tunze anyway as the stock was noisy as hell...

Bathtub

Also the drilled collection cup mod was good, didn't help adjustment, but did help noise....

Last edited:

reeferman

i still run stock skimmer and the trick ive found is run neck as high as it goes and adjust with the air valve,tee it high and let it fly!:golf: i get a cup full of some real nasty skimmate every week.i keep my back chamber level at the highest point.stock skimmer has worked just fine for me for 15 months.i do have the Sicce pump after the Hydors were crap.