Skimmer which 1?

Kenreefer

Hello all any help would be appreciated,

Just bought a berlin classic skimmer it seemed old and apparently it is for 225. Based on older reviews it wasn't good nothing on utube. So back it will go. Soooo which of the 2 dozen other choices do I pick? Same price point easy of use and emptying cup got plenty of room in sump.

Help thanks ya same old question but always new stuff out there.
Ken

DaddyTLi

I shop at bulkreefsupply and I think they are very selective at what they sell. Right now with thanksgiving discount you can't go wrong. They have YouTube channel BRSTV on setting up a tank. One of the episode covers skimmer. In addition they have something similar to members reward which is free. And you get 5x points of your purchase. Happy reefing. Welcome again.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tru2nr

Price point is definitely important, if you're not trying to spend a lot of money this will be a difficult hobby for you :) but on equipment it's cheaper to get used but you do need to know what your getting if you go that route

Kenreefer

Hi bring back berlin classic it was 225. Guy saw me coming I guess. Saw brs vids a million times geees the more you know the more confusing it gets. I tried to add pic but gotta figure that out yet. Running 2 tanks 40g n 55g. The 55 is new going to be anemone only tank. Just got cycled rock 2 a pound lucky, berlin skimmer not so lucky. I liked Oct reef classic 150.or vertex 130. So far about same price. I'm aware this is not cheap hobby. Going to run both tanks from same sump, waiting for 1 gallon sale for 55g sump. I have 3 other freshwater tanks crazy cichlids, flowerhorn nice n cichlid baby tank. Thanks Ken

Tru2nr

So your total volume will be 150g if you are going reef octopus I'd suggest something rated around 225g I'm a huge fan of Reef Octopus skimmers they are nearly bulletproof pull good skimmate and also don't cost and arm & leg

Kenreefer

Thanks Tru,
LFS is not responding to my get store credit. Good thing rock was so cheap, 2 pd vs 8pd. That makes up for the old skimmer ripe off. Total gallons 100 two tanks 55 n 40. A reef tank n anemone tank in the works. Looks like I'm stuck with berlin classic skimmer, it 10 years old the receipt was in the box. Well from now on I'll be buying everything online. So much for trusting LFS.

Thanks for your help.

DaveK

The Red Sea Berlin skimmer is not one of Red Sea's better products and it's very dated by today's standards. Having had one many years ago, IMHO your better off replacing it now. If your really stuck and can't replace it now, the Berlin skimmer will work, but it should get some modifications for proper operation.

At least you learned about trusting LFSs. That's why it's best to ask here first.

pablomay28

I have tried many skimmers ( aquamaxx, RLSS, reef octopus, vertex, red sea, asm) and the RLSS is the best I have ever owned. If you want to save money stay with the Reef Octopus I consider it a distant second to the RLSS. The RLSS R6i is what I am running on my 118 gal total tank and it is a beast.

DaveK

Alright LFS gave me credit. So Octopus reef BRS surfin I go. So you would go with 250g vs 110g?

When you size a skimmer, you want to go with one that is rated for a tank about twice the size you plan to use it on. In other words, if you have a 125 gal tank, you want a skimmer rated doe about a 250 gal tank. Skimmer manufacturers tend to be "very optimistic". Also, if you see a range such as "for a 100 to 150 gal tank" always use the lower number.

If it's going to be an in sump skimmer, check the dimensions carefully to make sure it will fit. If it's too large, something major will need to be altered.

Kenreefer

Thanks Pal n Dave,
It's been quite a day. Got credit from LFS, set up new 55g tank, look at multiple skimmers....oh no 55g tank leaks... run to HD get DAP aquarium silicone... put sand n rock in garage cans.... get razor blades n cut apart corner tank... not break glass amazing it didn't break. I even got the plastic base off. Finally sit down read posts. Going to get OR 150 skimmer. RLSS just out of price range. I'm already pushing it with the Mrs.
Thanks you guys for all your help.
Geees I'm tired.
Ken