Skimmer pump not working.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks reefmack, I'll have a look at the Tunze. I'm kindof not happy about having to replace it. I'll give Red Sea a month or two and see what they come up with, unless the pump or impeller goes before then...

I don't think I'll stock any fish until I have it all perfect.

Thanks glen, I'll refit it tomorrow when I do another water change.

brucewrs

If I turn off the skimmer it wont turn back on unless I pull it out and open the cover to the impeller and turn it and put the cover back on.Then it will start again..this is getting on my nerves!!

Re: Red Sea Skimmer

My second impeller broke. I'm really, really not happy.

Man this is ridiculous!!! I'm scarred to turn of my skimmer pump to clean it cuase I know mine is gonna stop working too. I'm just going to take the skimmer cup out without the turning of the pump.

RaysReef

Yeah Glenn, but you've not spent £1350 on the Red Sea Max 250.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I was just saying... it can be done... as some owners may not know this

Ray,

I don't own a 250 & I still think RSM should make it right & replace the impellers &/or pump. Also change out the skimmer pump if that's the problem too to solve the heat issues, so I could run a 250 if I upgrade one day, without the need for a chiller !

I want to see all this fixed on the 250 & think it should be, imo - this forum is one reason RSM sells so many tanks & I am & want to continue to be as proud of rsm tanks as anyone - the best looking tank on the market !

RaysReef

Red Sea Aquarium

This forum is not responsible for Red Sea selling so many aquariums. Most members find this forum after their purchase.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
This forum is not responsible for Red Sea selling so many aquariums. Most members find this forum after their purchase.

I not think so, I didn't

I had a friend get a biocube & I started searching the Internet for the best AIO tank & arrived here in the owners forum before I made my selection. Look how many have bought the 250's here in the last two months, after reading the pros & cons...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: Red Sea Aquarium

Recently maybe, but I think the vast majority found us after they had their tanks. And many of those trying to solve issues with the tank.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's seems like it's becoming obvious there are major problems with the skimmer pump - too many 250 owners are having problems with the heat generated and the impellers.

RaysReef

Yeah, we didnt spend $1500-1700 US on a 250 but we have spent $700-900 on a 130. That's nothing to sneeze at either.

Point is, there is a problem that should be fixed...

It cost $2200 in the UK for the RSM250. My point is the same reefer, any issues should have been ironed out by the time this more expensive model came to market.

Do you think the Tunze 9002 will be a suitable replacement for the 250's stock skimmer?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Ray - from Tunze:

"The "Nano" model series has been designed for the use in reef biotopes up to 200 liters (52 gal.) and is gentle to the plankton in operation. The DOC Skimmer 9002 removes up to 80 percent of organic waste matter, such as protein and cellulose, from the aquarium water. Very little space is required in the aquarium, and its handling is very easy. On account of their construction, these models are particularly quiet during operation. On account of the high demands in stony coral aquariums, this skimmer should be used only in aquariums with about 100 liters (26 gal.) of water. Mixed aquariums or soft coral aquariums up to 200 liters (52 gal.) can be set up without any problems."

The 250 would be a bit beyond the rating on the 9002, especially with a lot of SPS. With (I think?) more space in the back of the 250 maybe there are other skimmer options that might be acceptable? I don't really have an answer, other than something like the Euro-Reef. If you really like the looks of the tank, and wouldn't mind something sticking up in back, there are probably several options.

RaysReef

Oh no, not you too pocketreef. The obvious first: what happened? have you had it out and cleaned it etc - What happens when you try to restart it?

For Switzerland contact:

Local Distributor:

EGZ AG Heimtierbedarf
T: +41 52 3686050
F: +41 52 3
Bahnhofstrasse 31
CH-8353 Elg
egzag@smile.ch

Regional Office:

Germany
Red Sea Europe
Büro Deut
info@redseafish.de

(Taken from the redseamax.com website, under 'Contact Us')... Give them Hell pocketreef...! Keep us updated! Also contact steveh - find his details in the Ask RedSea thread.

I got a replacement pump today and (demanded) a spare impeller too, from Interpet UK. I've not tried it yet but it's identical to the failed pump and impeller.

RaysReef

We're not getting the response from RedSea that we are expecting...

Last edited: