Skimmer pump not working.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
:( My power cut off and turned back on but the skimmer did not..I had to pull it out and tap the impeller.Now it works but I am afraid to shut it off..I have a bad feeling about this skimmer pump ..

Oh bruce, sorry to hear that.

Has it started to make that rattle noise when you turn it on?

RaysReef

I got a message from steve about my skimmer impeller which seems to be broken. I wouldn't try it with a new one though:

"Take the skimmer pump out. Open it and remove the impeller. Take off the rubber grommet which holds the impeller shaft to the impeller cover. Then try the pump again." Steveh has tried to help me, but the impeller must be broken.

Last edited:

RaysReef

Never switch if off bruce. I know that horrible feeling before flicking the switch! I'm going to try and be positive but my instincts tell me to buy some spare impellers. I think they are now available here to buy.

RaysReef

Red Sea are working on it Anthony, we just need to sit tight for a bit. If you do have problems, you'll get replacement impeller sent quick, so a bit peace of mind.

I never got my impeller today, hopefully tomorrow.

Last edited:

brucewrs

Never switch if off bruce. I know that horrible feeling before flicking the switch! I'm going to try and be positive but my instincts tell me to buy some spare impellers. I think they are now available here to buy.

Should not have to buy impellers.I bought this tank in Feb of this year.I never heard of impeller only lasting a few months..I think the pumps Red Sea uses is the problem...When I pulled out the pump last time it stopped working the pumpwas HOT...Good thing I have a chiller...

Should not have to buy impellers.I bought this tank in Feb of this year.I never heard of impeller only lasting a few months..I think the pumps Red Sea uses is the problem...When I pulled out the pump last time it stopped working the pumpwas HOT...Good thing I have a chiller...

Ya ever since by skimmer has been fixed (due to the impeller malfunction) my tank is running at 85 degrees!!! This is crap. In the manual it says that with the cooling fans on it should be stable at 82 degrees. What a bunch of lies!! I want Red Sea to send me a free chiller or a partial refund for their false advertisement.

websurfer

I know they are working on the issue
We just need to sit and wait

But while waiting hopefully we will not lose much live stock

RaysReef

I think I'll dig an airstone and pump out of my reefbox. I've got some biomarine polyfilters for emergencies, i might just stick one in until we're good. The oxygen content is starting to nag me. I've raised the surface skimmer so that it cascades over it.

RaysReef

Bruce, you were quite smart fitting another skimmer. Are you not happy with just the euroreef skimmer? If it didn't stick out the top like that, I would have bought one.

brucewrs

Bruce, you were quite smart fitting another skimmer. Are you not happy with just the euroreef skimmer? If it didn't stick out the top like that, I would have bought one.

I have the big Euro reef 5-3 in my sump.I like it but the cup fills up very fast when the stock skimmer is not on. I dont want to drill the cup to put an over flow on it..

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Until it arrives... just keep telling yourself, when my water is pristine, my skimmer has little to do...
1183.gif

that though will help until it arrives... hang in there mate, it's on it's way :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Why postpone the aggravation? Replace the darn skimmer with one that actually works, and doesn't overheat the tank! :)

RaysReef

Sorry for bringing this back up.

Reefmack, If I could find a suitable skimmer I would buy it. I dont want one sticking out the tank like the euroreef, it would have to be a perfect fit.

I got my skimmer impeller today. Took Interpet UK one week and two emails to get it to me. Not too bad. But something isn't right. The more you open the air valve, the whole thing vibrates to a point where I have to turn it off.

Anyway, C'est la vie.

Last edited:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
RaysReef - The Tunze 9002 might work for you and let the hood flap close. Others can tell you more about that. But if you have a 250 the 9002 may be undersized for that tank? No idea on why the rattling happens with the new impeller - strange.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
re: rattling

If the pumps are anything like the 130's make sure they are not touching one another (from slight tilt) or the side of the tank...