Skimmer pump not working.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just edited the above did you see... I e-mail them too... good luck mate !

Best bet is to email Interpet's customer care team (customercare@interpet.co.uk) with details of your enquiry, date and shop of purchase and serial number of tank"

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
RaysReef - are you sure it's just the impeller, and not the whole motor that's no good? If you give it a quick plug in with the impeller cover off does it attempt to spin? Any indication that the motor itself is still working?

Glenn - once in a while my circ pumps don't always restart either. I can usually get them going by turning them off & on several times. This has even happened with a pump thats been recently replaced. Very finicky circ pumps!

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks again glen, I'm in the middle of an email to them now.

Good point reefmack so I just checked it again. And it's a pain to check because the UK version of the Max250 is fitted with european plugs, not british plugs... Anyway, the impeller is trying to spin but can't - the motor is fine.

Where is the tank serial number (i forget and cant locate it)?

RaysReef

lol. what a goat i am. I had to use a mirror but I got it glen... so that's that done.. email sent...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds like a poorly manufactured skimmer impeller on several 250s. I'm thinking heat and use must warp the shaft.

RaysReef

I've always thought my skimmer sounded too noisy. I've just been reading posts from owners on other forums that have had the same problem. So I'm hoping that the new impeller will be different from the broken one.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've always thought my skimmer sounded too noisy. I've just been reading posts from owners on other forums that have had the same problem. So I'm hoping that the new impeller will be different from the broken one.

I hope so too. It seems to be a pretty common problem on the 250s. I wonder if it's part of the heat problem with that model - too much friction from bad impellers. The tanks are great, but the quality of some of the equipment and parts can sometimes be a real negative. Same with all of these nano tanks in general, and RSMs are no exception.

I just installed my new impeller and like magic my skimmer is working perfectly!!!! Pinky was so quick to getting me the part I was shocked!

RaysReef

Cheers Anthony, I hope it doesn't happen to yours too.

Lakersfreak, is the new impeller different in any way from the old one? Does the skimmer still make the same noise (or is it quieter)?

brucewrs

Lakersfreak, is the new impeller different in any way from the old one? Does the skimmer still make the same noise (or is it quieter)?

For me,,,,
It seems quieter on the start up.When you use to shut off the skimmer and turn it on it use to rattle a bit.Not any more..

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Not an RSM owner, but I can offer a bit of an explanation.

Impellers run on a shaft (ceramic or plastic). The ends of the shaft are suppose square cut, a clean right angle. over time they can wear, and instead of a right angle they become beveled. With the bevel they don't sit tightly as tightly, and make more noise or rattle as they move around in the pump. In my experience with skimmers, they work like this, until I shut the skimmer for maintenance, and then the pump won't start up again.

I bet if you looked at the old impeller, it is no longer square cut or if you run your fingernail across you will find a groove toward the end.

RaysReef

That sounds good bruce, I hope I get the same. There is definately an issue with the skimmer impeller.

I got a message from steveh but he's not much help. He has just directed to me to customercare@interpet.co.uk who I emailed last night.....

The impeller looks identical to old one. I have no idea how but I installed the new one and it works! No noise either.

RaysReef

My postman has been - no impeller today but I just got an email from Interpet UK saying they will despatch one today.

Last edited:

brucewrs

:( My power cut off and turned back on but the skimmer did not..I had to pull it out and tap the impeller.Now it works but I am afraid to shut it off..I have a bad feeling about this skimmer pump ..