Skimmer performance after External filter?

nashdk

Hi

I am the happy owner of a 6 month old RSM 130D where I have replaced the stock skimmer with a Tunze Nano skimmer.

The performance of the skimmer was very good until I hooked up a Eheim Ecco Pro external filter 3 weeks ago. The filter is connected after the medie rack in order to reduce the amount of debris going through the external filter.
After I have connected the filter, the skimmer is not producing as much foam any longer. I have tried adjusting the airflow and all that but it did not help much. It appears to me that the foam/bobbles are just not as sticky or greasy as before.

My question is: Can an external filter actually do some of the skimmers work - filtering out proteins from the water?

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well, I'd say it depends on what media you have in your filter but I would expect the skimmer to adjust in a few days. Other 130 owners may help...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The external filter is pulling out some of the gunk that would normally end up in the skimmate. Be careful with the external filter. I ran a cannister filter for a while, as well as quite a few other RSM owners, and most of us had problems with high nitrates. That was with frequent cleaning of at least once a week. I strongly suggest if you use one to remove any sponges or filter pads that will collect the excess food etc, and turn it into nitrates. Best to use them to only run chemical media such as carbon, Chemi-Pure Elite, etc., and rinse everything out at least once a week. Most of us thought it was a great way to do water changes - by emptying the few gallons of SW in the cannister, but we found it still raised the nitrates as the filter bags would still collect debris and generate nitrates. Keep an eye on your nitrates and if they go up, suspect the cannister filter. Just passing on some experience. :)

nashdk

Hi Reefmack and thank you for your help!

That was what I expected :)
I am monitoring the nitrate levels weekly and have placed 2 additional nitrate filters to counter any nitrate build up.
Furthermore I have placed the filter intake after the StevieT's Media Rack so most of the debris is hopefully already filtered away by the sponge and filter floss before it is going into the external filter intake. Anyways that is the plan. I will post an update in a few months with my experiences.