Sk8rdn's BIG 350 Gallon Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
So, today I officially bought an oversized aquarium. :bouncer:

It's dimensions are roughly (per the seller) 7' long x 30'' high x 36'' wide. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions or the interior ones, but the math works out to roughly 390 gallons (if my math is correct).

I will be posting in this thread all the trials and triumphs. As well as asking the community for advice, ideas, opinions and comments. Please feel free to post what you will. This is the first time that I have ever had a tank this big. My previous record was a 180 (and that was a few years ago).

I could very well have the tank in hand (so to speak) as early as Saturday. Everything else would need to be constructed. Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for following with me on this great adventure,

Bill

Robzilla

Tagging along with your build!

Build the sturdiest stand you could ever imagine! Ask Juan (jpsika08) for help since he has a tank roughly that size as well.

sk8rdn

thanks everyone. I will continuously post pics of progress.

Tagging along with your build!

Build the sturdiest stand you could ever imagine! Ask Juan (jpsika08) for help since he has a tank roughly that size as well.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on building like a deck with 4x4 or 6x6 posts with the "hurricane" securing hardware. That's the strongest thing I could think of without going to metal. I don't have any welding experience or equipment so the cost of having one made for me would be quite off-putting.

dmatt88

Dude 390 that's outrageous. Im not standing next to you in the shower! Bravo.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

sk8rdn

Thank you for everyone's interest.

I do have a question, though. The last stand I built out of wood we ended up painting with a high-gloss black finish. It looked great, but every time water got splashed on it it left stark white salt crystals everywhere. And apparently it didn't seal the wood as well as expected because when we tore the tank down to sell it, some wood had some pretty significant wood damage. So my question is this:
Has anyone had any luck with a good (and safe) sealer that looks decent but doesn't show every single grain of salt?

Tokalosh

Thank you for everyone's interest.

I do have a question, though. The last stand I built out of wood we ended up painting with a high-gloss black finish. It looked great, but every time water got splashed on it it left stark white salt crystals everywhere. And apparently it didn't seal the wood as well as expected because when we tore the tank down to sell it, some wood had some pretty significant wood damage. So my question is this:
Has anyone had any luck with a good (and safe) sealer that looks decent but doesn't show every single grain of salt?

Tunicate

I have not built my own tank or stand for that matter, but my first port of call would be to investigate what paints and varnishes they use on some of those very expensive yachts.

Tok

sk8rdn

So I was doing a little research last night, looking into pumps for the new tank and the kind of cost I was going to expect. I came across, I believe, 3 pumps total that could withstand the flow and head that I'm going to require. So far as I can tell, I'm looking at around $500. Unless someone has a better idea (I've heard pool pumps could be an option, I just worry about the noise level and power usage). I'm really not that upset with a $500 pump, especially since I only paid (Lets see how many people get pissed off here...) $800 for the tank itself.

Yes, you read that right, $800 for a custom built 350+ Gal acrylic aquarium. God, I love craigslist....

Anyway, I'm kind of leaning towards the ReeFlo Hammerhead (or GOLD), unless someone has some personal experience with this, or has something better. I assume that I'm probably gonna end up buying 2 main pumps, and a few smaller ones for mixing and water changes.

As it happens, I was doing a water change today on my 55g and thought to myself, “no way am I using this 5g bucket for the new tank!” I only look that stupid.

But I digress...:threadjack:

I'm probably going to end up building most of the equipment myself, so I may end up in the DIY threads a lot. I figure around $200 for the stand, plus pumps, plumbing, etc.. I will just have to go one piece at a time. That's why I'm pretty comfortable with a expensive pump.

In other news, the tank will have to wait until after the weekend. My wife is about to pop with our second child (a boy) and we fully expected to be in the hospital last night. I have a feeling it will be before Monday, just simply because Daddy wants his new toy now, and her water would break before I got the tank unloaded. Of couse, the wife could ride in it to the hospital (so as not to mess up the apolstery...):angel4:

So that's the latest happenings. I will take pics of it being delivered and once I have it all cleaned up.

dmatt88

So with pics of the delivery ur meaning the tank not the baby I assume .....

sk8rdn

:LOL:Yes I do... Sorry, should have been a little clearer...

Sorry, no pics of wifey like that. She didnt even want that with our first child... hahah

dmatt88

Thanks for the humor dude good luck with the baby. Oh I mean both babies. Tank n child. I have 3 of each.

Robzilla

Good luck with the baby! Congrats!

Lumber, plywood, and PVC are going to be your best and cheapest friends right now. Ask questions man...thats what this forum is here for. Let us help you make this as cost efficient as possible with the new baby here!

Status
Not open for further replies.