Simon's RSM250 - Beginner Advice Please

Danreef

I don't have the media rack on my tank

This is what I did in my tank:

Filled the media rack with bags containing Matrix (Seacherm), the big size rocks. Matrix increase the biological filtration by increasing the surface ratio of rock (this is a kind of artificial rock). Its porosity is high so you increase the population of Anaerobic bacterias that will use your Nitrates.

For phosphates I was able to add a 20G fuge filled with macro algae. On top of that I hanged a HOB acrilic fuge on the 20G side and filled it with Matrix.

After 2 months I am having now the issue of 0 Nitrates and 0 Phosphate. That is not good. So I have returned to daily feeding and will add a couple of fish in the fuge.

Bottom line, this give you an idea of biological filtration to solve your problem. At list you can fill with Matrix the media rack provided with the RSM. For cleaning you take the bags every 6 months and shake it in NSW during a WC. Nothing else, you do not want to kill the bacterias.

Cheers
Daniel

aquachemist

efac58ab570e71048637af86935aadbd.jpg

No changes. Just moved the scape around and cleaned some algae up. Still have algae issues but nothing major. Not a concern to me. Lost my blue stripe cleaner wrasse not sure how. Fish seem content and no battles to talk about. Starfish moves around alot now. Does a few laps of the tank a day now. Always in a new spot when I look. Skimmer still very tempremental but that's the norm now so doesn't bother me. No more fish now I'm happy with what I've got. Once this as algae goes and I'm home more than 1 week out of every 5 weeks I'll look into getting corals. Just enjoying it now as ive got it setup and going nicely. Next job will be setting up the dosing but thats not until I get corals. I'm building a new shed at the moment so the RODI will be setup there along with maybe another tank for frags to grow in. Bare bottom and rubber maid drum sump probably. That's the near future anyway. Misses will be happy the stuff will be out of the laundry lol. Might try setup a proper water change system too on there. Can't get too excited though, I'm not allowed to be a 'shed guy' where I spend all my time away from the gf in the shed lol was part of the devils deal I signed for me to build a shed lol

Danreef

efac58ab570e71048637af86935aadbd.jpg

No changes. Just moved the scape around and cleaned some algae up. Still have algae issues but nothing major. Not a concern to me. Lost my blue stripe cleaner wrasse not sure how. Fish seem content and no battles to talk about. Starfish moves around alot now. Does a few laps of the tank a day now. Always in a new spot when I look. Skimmer still very tempremental but that's the norm now so doesn't bother me. No more fish now I'm happy with what I've got. Once this as algae goes and I'm home more than 1 week out of every 5 weeks I'll look into getting corals. Just enjoying it now as ive got it setup and going nicely. Next job will be setting up the dosing but thats not until I get corals. I'm building a new shed at the moment so the RODI will be setup there along with maybe another tank for frags to grow in. Bare bottom and rubber maid drum sump probably. That's the near future anyway. Misses will be happy the stuff will be out of the laundry lol. Might try setup a proper water change system too on there. Can't get too excited though, I'm not allowed to be a 'shed guy' where I spend all my time away from the gf in the shed lol was part of the devils deal I signed for me to build a shed lol
Blue stripe cleaner wrasse are very difficult to keep. Their mouth is small and requires food that they can capture. It is one of those fish that is better if they are not sell in fish stores.

aquachemist

Got a hammer coral and acan kindly gifted to me for free!!! uploadfromtaptalk1442742113133.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1442742256024.jpguploadfromtaptalk1442742295601.jpg
Sorry about the really poor quality photos. Will try get better photos. the acan is actually purple with green inside. I tried some photoshop to bring the colors out but looks crap lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Danreef

Are you taking the pictures with the actinics lights on only ?

All looks so blue that's why I am asking.

What lights do you have ?

Nice pieces of coral.