Simon's RSM250 - Beginner Advice Please

aquachemist

Other hitchhikers are a hermit crab and this cool abalone snail.
804116b782172e78e040a7fad9b19ddc.jpg

d39322c0fa46eda11186103cbefe5560.jpg

Red Sea Max 250

aquachemist

Girlfriend chooses the names
Picasso Trigger: Jacqueline (after the picasso painting. Its also a girl because it too 'pretty' to be a boy)
Hermit Crab: Harry Styles the Hermit. Yes the one direction guy lol
Abalone Snail: No name as yet

Red Sea Max 250

Danreef

Well I've had an interesting time. The guy i got the rocks off rang and asked if there was a fish in my tank. I said no I only bought rock. 10 minutes after putting the rock in....... Lo and behold this guy/girl was hiding in a rock through 45mins of transport that we thought was dry rock so no idea how he/she survived and now is my first fish. Rang the guy back up and he said we could keep it and hopefuly survive. Now help people!!!! Its a Picasso Trigger fish i believe. Not bad for a hitchiker on live rock.
5402d41236de39325154fa200bdd05a9.jpg

Red Sea Max 250

Yes....it is a Picasso trigger fish. I love those one. Very strong fish. But I never had one with corals. Only on fish only tank. So if he was doing well in the other tank with the corals that are now in your tank, I belive all will be OK.

Just be careful if you add more corals. Read about the guy.

They hide in Rock holes and use the dorsal spine as an anchor to stay in the hole. That way was hiding in your rocks and didn't fall during the moving.

Very pretty !!!!

Last edited:

Oxylebius

I had a trigger like this many moons ago. Such a hardy fish to make that journey. Mine had great personality and would follow me around the room, so to speak, if I was on one side of the room the fish would be on that side of the tank looking out at me. If I moved to the other side of the room, the fish would follow.

Pretty much fish-only tank with this fish and can be only be housed w/some types of corals as Danreef has already mentioned.

Mine like to pick up rocks and move them around all day long, dig holes and would bite off bits of rock and transport it to some other place in the tank. Not considered reef safe b/c of the biting of rocks and hard corals and will also go after some invertebrates for food.

You will want to look into what fish, corals, and mobile inverts are compatable with it. You will have some limitations on what types.

Abalone are great cuc.

aquachemist

Well the chart basically says caution with everything and no to a few. She came out of a soft/lps tank with mixed smaller fish so I'm hoping I can still get a clownfish and a dragonet at some stage. I'm also getting some sand sifting stars at some stage.

Red Sea Max 250

aquachemist

Hopefully Jacqueline the Triggerfish will watch people playing the piano right next to the tank. Be nice to have an audience lol

Red Sea Max 250

aquachemist

Little update...

The leather corals died

Rescaped a little

b6247a71ad0e402a2c70c15cf5f8944e.jpg

Jacqueline the Triggerfish is happy and very inquisitive

30dd5c72cddb363b2f099e25304d7da3.jpg

The enonome moved around alot since being in the tank and has picked a spot and looks better each day. Could someone ID it please.

b7e4d1c90018deb62b6695b5a5faaea3.jpg

Starting to get some brown diatoms on the sand bed surface as part of my cycle which is good.

82311dfb463643c54f68aca22e47d6d6.jpg

Freshwater Nano 30L
Freshwater 140L
Red Sea Max 250L

Danreef

Little update...

The leather corals died

Rescaped a little

b6247a71ad0e402a2c70c15cf5f8944e.jpg

Jacqueline the Triggerfish is happy and very inquisitive

30dd5c72cddb363b2f099e25304d7da3.jpg

The enonome moved around alot since being in the tank and has picked a spot and looks better each day. Could someone ID it please.

b7e4d1c90018deb62b6695b5a5faaea3.jpg

Starting to get some brown diatoms on the sand bed surface as part of my cycle which is good.

82311dfb463643c54f68aca22e47d6d6.jpg

Freshwater Nano 30L
Freshwater 140L
Red Sea Max 250L
Where the leathers under water when you moved the rocks ? . I will suspect the answer is Yes. Asking because leathers are very strong guys. But you never know.

Fish looks very happy. I saw one this weekend in a LFS that had like 3-4 " like the adults you see when snorkeling in reefs. LOVE THAT FISH !!!!.... but can't have it.

aquachemist

No unfortunately just covered with wet cloth. They were completely drooped over and parts were falling off it.

Any ID on the anemone?

Freshwater Nano 30L
Freshwater 140L
Red Sea Max 250L

Danreef

No unfortunately just covered with wet cloth. They were completely drooped over and parts were falling off it.

Any ID on the anemone?

Freshwater Nano 30L
Freshwater 140L
Red Sea Max 250L

So the survival of the fish is something interesting. For how long the rocks were out of water and the trigger was on it ?

Sorry I know 0 about anemones.

Thanks
Daniel

aquachemist

About 45mins total. There must have been a pocket of water in the rock otherwise surely she would have died

Freshwater Nano 30L
Freshwater 140L
Red Sea Max 250L

Oxylebius

Yes, it is pretty neat. I love it when the fish eat out of my hands. But, be aware that in the future, if it is hungry and you have your hands in the tank cleaning it, there is a chance it will come nipping at you for food. They are very friendly fish, but when they are hungry.... at least the one I had let me know that it was hungry. They have strong jaws with teeth and can draw blood. Just be aware...

aquachemist

Yeah my sister went snorkling in the Maldives and said they chased and bit people all the time. We'll teach it to be gentle lol

Freshwater Nano 30L
Freshwater 140L
Red Sea Max 250L

Danreef

Yes, it is pretty neat. I love it when the fish eat out of my hands. But, be aware that in the future, if it is hungry and you have your hands in the tank cleaning it, there is a chance it will come nipping at you for food. They are very friendly fish, but when they are hungry.... at least the one I had let me know that it was hungry. They have strong jaws with teeth and can draw blood. Just be aware...
Jajaja....I thought the same when I saw the pictures. Yes they do that. Also many others reef fish will come and bite you, just because they think is food or because you have your fingers in his/her territory.

I was snorkeling when I saw this big anemone with 4-5 clown fish. Very big the guys. I moved my fingers near them, like playing , and in a blink of an eyes I was bite by all. The drew blood of my hand in almost all the bites, but it was funny and a surprice too. I learned my lesson.

The same will happen in the tank at home.

Cheers
Daniel

aquachemist

Hoping we don't lose power/house as this Category 5 cyclone rips through our region.
08d26636194c68d983aa10d7f3172c5d.jpg

Freshwater Nano 30L
Freshwater 140L
Red Sea Max 250L